Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is another scenario,

You have a clean record and a CCW. You start dating and end up falling in love with a person who has a non-violent felony from decades ago (young and stupid). You both decide to move in together and get married.

1. What happens to your CCW and firearms?
2. Can you still have your firearms and CCW as long as the other person never touches them?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
I would consult a lawyer, at the very least I assume your firearms would need to be secured in such a way that she does not have access to them.

ETA you're in Colorado I dount the police are going to show up and inspect your home to make sure she doesn't have firearms. if they do "Officer I do not consent to any searches"

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Could be a he or she.

True but the advice still works

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
If it's your CCW and your guns how would it effect you??? They are your possessions, not your partners...

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
I would consult a lawyer, at the very least I assume your firearms would need to be secured in such a way that she does not have access to them.
I'd take this advice and determine answer, could be your out of luck.
Depends on state law ans class of felony.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Check an attorney and the laws, some places a convicted felon cannot "live" nor stay in a house that has a gun in it.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
G. Gordon Liddy addressed this a while back.

"I'm not allowed to own firearms, but my wife owns several...some of which she keeps on my side of the bed."

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Where in the heck to people come up with these "scenarios?"

I really have no idea as I never have or never would date a felon. Not uppity or anything, but I have too much to lose getting emotionally attached to a person with that kind of background. I don't know about you, but to me, being a felon, non-violent or otherwise, is no small thing!

Young and stupid?
Yeah, yeah... everyone's got an excuse these days!

Well, my dad warned me long, long ago that what you do has consequences and police records will follow you your entire life. Now I was no angel growing up, but I was always smart enough to not get caught by the police. I got caught by my dad a few times... It was hard to get stuff by him, but it didn't take long for me to wise up.

On the other hand, G. Gordon Liddy is a convicted felon and his wife has no problems owning lots of guns, according to him.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Hey, that offends me. I was going to post:

"I have a CCW and my girlfriend doesn't have her citizenship yet. She was convicted for an assault on a military caravan in her home country, but after escaping to here, the conviction hasn't yet been discovered by the United States authorities. Can she get a CCW permit like mine or will hers only apply on Miondays when she comes to visit me and will she only be allowed to carry OWB with her out of state permit?"

:danceban:

I really have no idea as I never have or never would date a felon. Not uppity or anything, but I have too much to lose getting emotionally attached to a person with that kind of background. I don't know about you, but to me, being a felon, non-violent or otherwise, is no small thing!

Yeah, yeah... everyone's got an excuse these days!
I tend to think the same way. BUT..... if it was totally a non-violent felony and she got it because she really and truly didn't know any better at the time, I might reconsider if I really cared about her. It would depend on the situation. If I felt that there was anything "felon" whatsoever in her personality, then forget it, but people really have been nailed for felonies when their intentions were good. You know, the whole "ignorance of the law is no excuse" sort of thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here in Kansas, you're good to go. I think felons are only prohibited for owning firearms for 5 years. Maybe it's non-violent... fortunately, I don't happen to be very familiar with this portion of gun law.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Here is another scenario,

You have a clean record and a CCW. You start dating and end up falling in love with a person who has a non-violent felony from decades ago (young and stupid). You both decide to move in together and get married.

1. What happens to your CCW and firearms?
2. Can you still have your firearms and CCW as long as the other person never touches them?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
I asked the instructor this precise question in my CCW class here in Vegas. Here was his reply to my question as best I can recall.

According to him, a current LEO Sgt, there are no legal issues for your to possess a firearm in your home. The major issue is that your new love CANNOT have access to the firearm whatsoever. It has to be secured at all times when not in your immediate control & custody. If you leave a firearm UNSECURED with an ex-felon that could give that person "constructive possession" of your firearm. You would have to secure the firearm whenever you will not have it under your immediate control & custody.

Another situation is when you leave your home. All your firearms would have to be secured in a secure manner to prevent your new love from accessing them at all! When it comes to the law I don't know if the state looks at violent or non-violent offenders differently when it comes to possessing a firearm. IANAL!

You have to be absolutely certain that only you have access to your firearms when they are not secured. But that's from a 20+ year LEO Sgt. that taught my CCW class.

I would still check the local laws for your specific state. A local attorney is the best source of info in this situation.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
re: Bark'n

I really have no idea as I never have or never would date a felon. Not uppity or anything,

{deleted for brevity}
On the other hand, G. Gordon Liddy is a convicted felon and his wife has no problems owning lots of guns, according to him.
Don't take legal advice from a convicted felon and media performer either.

It really galls me that this Liddy fellow and the ex-cop who screwed up the OJ case (Furman?) were able to turn their bad deeds into lucrative careers in show business.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I think a quick phone call to an attorney would get the correct/legal answer.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Just because you marry a felon, it doesn't mean you give up your 2A rights. Life goes on...:22a:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Not sure how that would play out, there was a post about DC member living in suffolk county where his grandson lived in the seperate apartment in his house with no access and the SCPD pulled his permit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts