1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've read my monthly allotment on WaPo, and I won't be subscribing to their site, so...

What does the study define as a "gun crime"? Are suicides included in that 18%?

I think 18% is waaay too high...

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
The conclusion is that Congress needs to open police, BATFE records to better deal with gun deaths. Finally, the author concludes that Australia's gun confiscation lead to a "less violent " society.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I think 18% is waaay too high...
I agree. Based on the source, I would think that the story is not from a Pro 2A point of view. Looking at the wording of the story, I think there is some obfuscation going on.

The story states that in 18% of gun crimes the perpetrator was the legal owner of the gun. The others were " . . . in illegal possession of a weapon that belonged to someone else." Based on that very specific wording, some of that 18% could be people who are not allowed to posses firearms (e.g. felons) yet are still the legal owner. Which is a crime in itself. I *think* the author made that very specific distinction to increase the the percentage of so-called "legal" owners.

I recall a different study put out recently that found that citizens that had obtained CCW permits committed less crime than even police.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The repeated references to it being a public health issue gives away the author's intentions. That is Regressive messaging plain and clear, as is the distinction been "good" and "bad" (which comes from Lapierre's good guy with a gun comment that drives them nuts) so naturally the numbers are dramatically inflated and the wording was deliberately chosen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts