Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to AL from TN, where I still hold a valid HCL, unless moving out of state invalidates it.
AL honors TN HCLs UNTIL one becomes an AL resident, as I now am.
A call from the state AG's office confirmed this.
One must be an AL resident for 6 months prior to applying for a CCP but, unlike in TN, OC is legal in AL, confusion and gray areas notwithstanding.
My question is:
AL OC requires the firearm to be in plain sight (not sure of the precise legalese) so I'm wondering if I hafta wear a holster outside my coat/jacket/sweater in winter??
Or is it sufficient that the firearm be readily recognizable and that I'm obviously armed?
I'd ask the sheriff but his office doesn't take routine calls on the weekend and waaaa, I wanna know now! :smile:

Thanks.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If its even partially covered, you can run into problems.

Check AL law.. (used to live there, but have forgotten, and some may have changed), but I thought an out of state permit was valid for 3-6 months when you moved there before you had to get a AL permit.

If you do OC, know that unlike TN, in AL, you cannot carry a loaded weapon in your vehicle without a valid permit. If you do OC places, you will have to unload and store your weapon when in your car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, cj.
You're probably right about complete exposure. I have a clear sense from other AL posters that there's a LOT of local interpretation which can trap a fellow.
In TN I carried IWB exclusively, though TN law allows an HCL holder to carry either OC or CC. I'm not at all sure my IWB holster under just my belt would be found acceptable!
I was told just a couple days ago by a rep at the state AG's office that my TN HCL was no longer honored in AL after my becoming an AL resident and I must wait the 60 days before applying.
I know about vehicle carry, but I also need some clarification there - I drive a van almost exclusively and there's nowhere to store a handgun and separate ammo except the glovebox and a passenger underseat drawer (both lockable) and I'm not sure if that qualifies as "unavailable to the occupants" or whatever the wording is.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Have you heard of the Virginia Tuck? Before it became legal to carry concealed in an establishment that serves alcohol for on premises consumption many people would just tuck the outer garment between the gun and their body so the gun was exposed. Not knowing AL law I would ere on the side of caution and say that the gun and holster should be outside the outer garment. If you really want a definitive answer I would recommend you contact a competent attorney who specializes in gun law.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fully exposed is no doubt the wise approach.
With the many comments about variable local knowledge of and interpretation of state law I suppose I best wait to carry even openly until I can talk to someone in the sheriff's office about the finer points.
Sure do feel uncomfortable though!

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Where did you see that you have to be a resident for six months in AL? I don't know what county you are in there is no mention of it on the application in my county. Getting a permit is 15 minute deal in my county and is $20 a year up to 5 years. BTW, if you are retired military or LEO the permits are lifetime and free in AL. I would consult with your local Sheriff's office on Mon. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, LT, I'm confident (though often mistaken) that's what I was told by an officer at the Lauderdale county courthouse and by the lady with the AG.
But yes, I've been "unnaturally bare" for too long already so I'll definitely consult with the local office - "horses mouth" is best.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
speak with the sheriff, and apply for your permit monday, should walk out of the sheriff's office wit a permit or have less than a 3 day turn around....AG is erring on the side of caution

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, you silver-tongued devils - you've talked me into it. :35:
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I open carry around Florence when I'm up there shopping or visiting my son and have never had any flack ,I do get startled looks from some though ( it is a collage town with their shady views on freedom) it is an open carry state with no permit required but if you get in your car it is considered carrying concealed without a permit so be aware of that, signs have no force of law here but if asked to leave you must leave or face trespassing charges.

Welcome to Alabama

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Fully Human in MY View, happy to be here! :smile:
It needs doing, so I'll do it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, a call to the Sheriff's office verified that 6 months Alabama residency is required before applying for a CC permit. However, I can OC, except in a vehicle. Can you say "PITA"? Oh well, it is what it is and I'm a law-abiding citizen (almost all the time!) so I'll live with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently changed residency from TN to AL. I am in Madison county. Never read about a 6 month wait. Changed my drivers license over in January applied for ccp in February and had my permit by March. Madison county takes up to 30 days to get approval. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Andy, I guess this is one of those local jurisdiction variables implemented in Lauderdale county. Glad yours went jippity-jip. :smile:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
A cousin recently moved from GA to Anniston, AL. The second week he was there, he applied for a permit and had it in his pocket the next day.

Is there a chance that your sheriff is either anti gun or just does not like newcomers to AL?

Reactions: Eagleks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know about local politics yet either, so I couldn't say.
But a rep from the state AG's office did tell me the same thing.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
OC is still new enough in AL that you do want to be cautious about it. Pay attention especially to signs posted on businesses restricting open carry. They're small enough you might miss them but are usually very close to the entrances. Once you see one you should be able to pick them up in vision quickly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, we had the same thing in TN, though there the law said the sign had to have specific wording. Even so, if an owner asked you to leave you had to. Never had a problem though. I look for 'em.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
OC is still new enough in AL that you do want to be cautious about it. Pay attention especially to signs posted on businesses restricting open carry. They're small enough you might miss them but are usually very close to the entrances. Once you see one you should be able to pick them up in vision quickly.
? Alabama has always been open carry, most people just didn't know it

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
? Alabama has always been open carry, most people just didn't know it
What you say is true. The legality of OC was not fully codified until recently, however. It was until then a matter of somebody knowing what the opinions of various state AGs was about it, and very few did. So effectively you ran a risk doing it before now. The risk was time and money and the inconvenience of dealing with LE before everything got clarified with them, but it was still there and for most not worth the trouble.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts