Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be clear on posted signs at plces of business. Today I went to eat mexican and all they had was a sign that said, "Firearms prohibited on premise", no picture or any other wording. Here is the statute in TN:

8. It is a violation of the law to carry where it is posted with this sign:

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY
HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS
BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY
WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER
STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT
MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

The wording must be substantially similar. A sign with a picture of a handgun with a slash through it is valid.

This sign would not be valid am I correct. I do understand if asked to leave I have to as that would be tresspassing, but I want to make sure I understand signs. This would not be considered similar, seems they are saying the statute number has to be mentioned?

Thanks

p.s. when i get more time I will introduce myself, off to mow the lawn!

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
If I'm reading TN law correctly, The wording has to state IAW State Law, or the International gun inside the slashed circle, to be legal. IANAL so take my interpretation for what it is worth.

BTW- Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome from Memphis. To quote a great philosopher, Archer51, IANAL. I don't believe their sign would be valid. OTOH, I went to a Malco movie theater to take my grandson to see Star Trek and their signs are valid. I walked back to the care very dejectedly and unwillingly and disarmed.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It's not legal, but they have just informed me my money is not welcome there so I would just leave and go somewhere else. Adios Muchacho :wave:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts