Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my CWP for about 2 months and have really felt good about carrying. Whether at work or around the wife and two young kids, I feel good about it, and hope to continue to do so as long as I'm around.

However, I noticed in another thread that most people seem to be locking their gun in a box in their car, or have a lock on their gun in the car, or don't keep a round chambered in the car. I've been keeping my gun in my holster in my center console unlocked, with no lockbox at all, with no lock on the gun itself, and with one round in the chamber. My thought is- if I need it, I want quick access to it if I'm being car jacked, etc. I just 'assumed' this was the way to carry your gun in the car...easy access and one in the chamber.

Why are a lot of you keeping it locked in a box or locked up? Is it for safety reasons, or are you trying to keep it from being stolen?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Why are a lot of you keeping it locked in a box or locked up? Is it for safety reasons, or are you trying to keep it from being stolen?
From what I see, most are simply talking about having it in a lock box while away from the vehicle or when traveling through a state where they are not allowed to carry concealed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you are legal to carry,why would you leave the gun unlocked in a car? Think of this scenario....you place the gun in the console, unlocked and loaded, and go into a store or work, and when you come out there's a bad guy in your car going through your stuff. You are in quite a dilemma now! I would rather ere on the side of caution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are legal to carry,why would you leave the gun unlocked in a car? Think of this scenario....you place the gun in the console, unlocked and loaded, and go into a store or work, and when you come out there's a bad guy in your car going through your stuff. You are in quite a dilemma now! I would rather ere on the side of caution.
That makes sense, but I do carry it wherever I go. What I mean is when I'm unable to bring a gun inside the place where I'm going (restaurant that serves alchohol, bar, bank, etc.) I leave it unlocked in the center console in case someone would grab me getting into my car, carjack, etc. Sometimes I work/eat in some rough areas and would want easy access when entering my car.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I am sure i do not have all the info and do not know how old your kids are but sounds like you have toddlers an have a gun in your console loaded an unlocked. That just sounds like all kinds of crazy.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
The lock box is hidden and more secure. If you have to leave it in your car, you should try to keep unauthorized from getting your gun.

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
541 Posts
Mostly fear of a break in while I'm in school than anything. That being said, if I'm just running into a place for a few minutes that doesn't allow carry, I'll leave it unlocked hidden somewhere such as what you're saying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I wear my chambered pistol AND I lock my car. Am I being paranoid? WHO CARES? :biggrin2:

Reactions: cdynaco

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've had my CWP for about 2 months and have really felt good about carrying. Whether at work or around the wife and two young kids, I feel good about it, and hope to continue to do so as long as I'm around.

However, I noticed in another thread that most people seem to be locking their gun in a box in their car, or have a lock on their gun in the car, or don't keep a round chambered in the car. I've been keeping my gun in my holster in my center console unlocked, with no lockbox at all, with no lock on the gun itself, and with one round in the chamber. My thought is- if I need it, I want quick access to it if I'm being car jacked, etc. I just 'assumed' this was the way to carry your gun in the car...easy access and one in the chamber.

You lock your CAR, right?
Yeah but I don't think he meant he leaves the car unlocked. Just had bad wording in the title.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Oh ok, I don't think that's irresponsible at all then. Hide it, quick in and out of the post office or whatever...I do that all the time. I thought he was saying he couldn't even bother to lock his car when I exploded with incredulity lol.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
You would leave a gun in an unlocked car? That's stunningly irresponsible. How hard is it to lock your car? Seriously, I have trouble processing this. What is your thought process that you think this is a good idea?!
I CC pretty much 24/7. Now and again if I have to disarm for a few minutes I remove the mag and mag goes in a pocket. Gun is out of sight and in my locked up tight truck. I got my share of faults but being/acting like a Gomer ain't one of them.

I always LOCK MY TRUCK. If you carried in your truck what I carry in my truck you'd ALWAYS lock your truck too!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i think most who have the lock boxes i their cars use them in fear of someone breaking into their car and using their gun against them if it wasnt locked up. it makes sense to me. but if i were to leave mine in the car not locked up i would hide mine in a better spot, if someone see a safe they will grab it and get it open later, most of these safes are "secured" using a bike lock type cable and would easily be broken/cut off by a prepared crook. think about it, if someone breaks into your car they will 90% of the time look for valuables they can see out in open which leads to them breaking in, then move on to the glovebox and center console. they would rather not spend alot of time in a broken into car looking for goodies. so if the gun was in the center console or glove box not locked up it would probably be gone. if you hide it somewhere else, say under the seat of in a spot in the car that the molding easily is removed, then they would most likely not look there and your gun would still be there. the shifter on my old car had a large area around it and the molding around that holding the shift boot on was easily removed. if i was carrying when i had that car i would have used that area to safely hide my gun. i would have also mounted a holster in there since there is plenty of room.

think hidden areas most people wouldnt think to look. like in the shifter area like i said. or behind the area where the radio and a/c controls are, there is usually alot of area open underneath there. i would even go as far as making a spot, the little footrest thing by the peddles are usually just dead space and could easily be modified with a hinge to make it a nice little hidden compartment, perfect for pocket pistols ;) this area would only be used when i am not in the car, when i have to leave it alone for a while. when driving it would be back on me or center console for easy access. if i have to leave my gun i would rather it be hidden so that someone is less likely to find it and potentially use it to harm me or others.

·
Registered
414 Posts
For example I always have my gun on me during work commute but have to leave it hidden in my locked car at my employer's parking in which I do feel is a very safe area. I own a lock box just in case I park at the courthouse downtown or some place where I'm forced to leave gun in car but high risk of auto break in. Otherwise I usually avoid any places where I can't carry it with me at all times. And unless I am at risk of being charged with a crime or fired from my job I also carry concealed regardless of any signs or policies.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Like most here I have two modes. Quick in and out at the post office? Gun and holster together in the glove box. Going to work (guns prohibited) or a concert where I'll be gone for more than 15 mins? Lock box under the seat.

It's definitely a gamble when you have to access your lockbox instead of having instant access but you just have to be triple careful surveying your surroundings when approaching your car unarmed and gun in lock box. It's a trade off for a better chance of not losing your weapon to the casual car robber.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah but I don't think he meant he leaves the car unlocked. Just had bad wording in the title.

Yes, sorry for the misunderstanding folks. I keep my car locked ALWAYS. Always, always. I was just saying that I don't use a lockbox, and I don't use the Ruger masterlock to lock my gun up. I always keep one in the chamber in the center console, with NO lock on the gun, and NOT in a lockbox- but always keep my doors locked.

I do this because I'm in and out of the car all day long with work, and don't want to keep using a lock on the gun. It seems it would get a lot of wear on the gun, and to be honest- I would be doing this multiple times a day then and that would get old. What I want to do is keep it locked in the car, but only in the holster in the center console with 1 in the chamber.

Is this being foolish? Because if it is, then I should consider changing my ways and locking up the gun with the Ruger masterlock every time. I would just rather not do this. Plus, I'd rather not have to put it in the lockbox in case someone tries to jack me getting into my car (because the thief won't wait for me to unlock a lockbox to get my gun).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like most here I have two modes. Quick in and out at the post office? Gun and holster together in the glove box. Going to work (guns prohibited) or a concert where I'll be gone for more than 15 mins? Lock box under the seat.

It's definitely a gamble when you have to access your lockbox instead of having instant access but you just have to be triple careful surveying your surroundings when approaching your car unarmed and gun in lock box. It's a trade off for a better chance of not losing your weapon to the casual car robber.
I understand what you're saying but for me, I'd rather have instant access to my weapon. If it gets stolen, it gets stolen. I'd rather lose a gun, then lose my life when I need it that instant.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
The lock box is hidden and more secure. If you have to leave it in your car, you should try to keep unauthorized from getting your gun.
First of all.....

Welcome from Tennessee....... the "Patron State of Shootin' Stuff!"

I would agree with Harryball on the lock box.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts