Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Athens, Georgia. I'm new to the forum, my name's John. I've been looking to buy a new pistol for carry and have narrowed it down to a few choices. I think it is between the kimber pro cdp, a sig 226 or a 229. Additionally, I looked at a 229 sas and didn't like the wooden grips and I'm not too sure about the DA only. What are you guys thoughts on these? What would be a decent price for these? Thanks for the help! John

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
You'll get a lot of vote for Sigs i dont use um im a lefty... not a kimber fan either but i love 1911's so my vote is for the kimber

·
Registered
132 Posts
Welcome Woodduck from Albany, GA! I'd take the Kimber, my primary is a Custom CDP II and it's sweet. Plus you'll make a certain simian-like member of this forum pleased also. Ain't that right Bruce?!

As far as price, check with Shooter's Gallery of Columbus GA, on Milgen Road. They are master distributors of Kimber, Para-Ordinance, Charles Daly, and they also carry STI. I purchased mine there.

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
woodduckwallace said:
Hello from Athens, Georgia. I'm new to the forum, my name's John. I've been looking to buy a new pistol for carry and have narrowed it down to a few choices. I think it is between the kimber pro cdp, a sig 226 or a 229. Additionally, I looked at a 229 sas and didn't like the wooden grips and I'm not too sure about the DA only. What are you guys thoughts on these? What would be a decent price for these? Thanks for the help! John
Welcome to the forum John!

As one of the SIG "weenies" I'm wondering if you are looking at 9mm or something else? Also have you looked at the regular 229? It has the "normal" grips, of course grips are easy to change. Have you looked at the 239?

I have a 226 and a 239, both in 9mm. One of these days I want to get a 229, but in 357 SIG.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Howdy, If you can go to a range that will rent some of your wish list and shoot them,see what feels good and how well you shoot them.
Personaly i would get the Kimber but thats me. Let us know what you get and how well you shoot your choice.

·
Registered
455 Posts
John, welcome to the forum. Thank you for jumping right in on your first post.
Of the guns you mentioned, my preference would be for the Kimber, but that's because I like 1911's much more than Sigs. Does the Kimber you are looking at have an external extractor? They seem to be more problematic than JMB's design.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Ok, here is what ya want to do, forget the sigs (sorry Chris) and forget the Kimbers, and go out and buy your self a Colt. You will thank me later.
Oh yeah when in a situation where you have to choose between a 1911 and a non-1911, well the answer is pretty odvious.
1911's:rock:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
So bruce when ya gonna start your own 1911 forum ill help ya mod it :)

Ohh yeah i vote 1911 opps wait i might have said that all ready

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Welcome along John :smile:

My daily carry is SIG 226 in 9mm - it's an ST so heavy (and pricey!) but I like weight and size for comtrollability. OWB with suitable shirt or vest and it's not in evidence.

Soon may Have a 228 - trading my P12.45 for that - also should suit well for carry.

I favor DA/SA - so if you like some ''heft'' 226 will please you I am sure. Of course in .40 you'd have option to add .357 SIG barrel.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Soon may Have a 228 - trading my P12.45 for that - :chairshot:

Wait ya justgot paraworking now yourgonna trade it WTH is that about? :chairshot

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Well - hard decision - very hard.

Now the P12 is running so good I am loathe to move it on but - member here has a quite new 228 which does not suit because he is lefty (you know about that) and as I have the 220 to fill the .45acp gap, (plus the ol' P97 and Systema) - seems better to expand the SIG stable.

Of course ideally - I want both!!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Alright here goes my .02$,

The Sig's and 1911's (Kimber) are like night and day. I am a 1911 guy myself and have a Kimber never had a Sig but have shot them. I feel Sig's are very thick and bulky where the 1911's are slime and clean. I haven't had any problems with my Kimber that a Cobra or Wilson Magazine didn't fix a few FTF that's it, but I stay away from the external extractor models, it is just my preference. This is no doubt has been Kimbers biggest mistake in changing to the external. But that is not to say they are all bad cause there not, most problems stem from the smaller Kimber's such as the Ultra's and the quality get's much better with them the larger the size Kimber you go with.

If you are stuck on the main line production guns such as Kimber, Sig, or whatever! I would recommend the S&W1911SC to you instead of the Kimber or even Colt right now. Colt is good but is very spotty on quality issues of fitment. The Kimber's are spotty as well but not with fitment quality but rather in extractor issues and magazine issues but when worked out if needed are impressive guns, Kimber slide to frame fit is very good. The S&W1911SC seems to have it all working right out of the box. Very little problems reported with them at all, the only problem I see with them is the stupid billboard on the slide instead of roll marks, but that is the only issue I have with the Smith & Wesson 1911SC.

But to be honest I would rather guide you to the semi-custom's such as, Baer, Brown, Wilson, Rock River Arms or Nighthawk.

Les Baer - I would recommend the Stinger or the TRS Comanche.

Ed Brown - Kobra Carry or Executive Carry

Wilson - CQB or Professional

RRA - Elite Commando

Nighthawk - One of the Talons or the Predator II or III

This is defiantly dependant on your budget of course. But no MIM or plastic part's, no cheap mags, reliability problems are almost unheard of, match grade or Kart barells, tight slide to frame fitment, just very high quality that is hard to beat. I you can swing it I would go with one of the custom's mentioned other than that for me it would be the S&W1911SC. But ultimately it is up to you and what you want and feel comfortable with.

Ti.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I cant Recommend the Smith 1911SC i had one and it was a real Turd and tore its selfapart :chairshot in less than 700 rounds

Also dont forget the funky safety internal swartz or whatever that people have had problems with

Just adding my 3 cents from the friendly 1911 guy :biggrin:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Im more of a 1911 fan over Sig.

I would take Bruce's advice and get a Colt, or a Springfield, rather than a Kimber. I was looking to get a Pro carry II, but I did some research and I hear that Kimber's quality has gone down hill.

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
Bruces45 said:
Ok, here is what ya want to do, forget the sigs (sorry Chris) and forget the Kimbers, and go out and buy your self a Colt. You will thank me later.
Oh yeah when in a situation where you have to choose between a 1911 and a non-1911, well the answer is pretty odvious.
1911's:rock:
Bruce, I'm starting to think you are bias!! :eek:
:rofl:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Bud White said:
I cant Recommend the Smith 1911SC i had one and it was a real Turd and tore its selfapart :chairshot in less than 700 rounds

Also dont forget the funky safety internal swartz or whatever that people have had problems with

Just adding my 3 cents from the friendly 1911 guy :biggrin:
Exactly what I changed on my Kimber! well there you go another reason to buy a semi-custom instead. To my knowledge the 1911SC does seem to have the better quality of the production bunch overall. With production gun's you are going to have a lemon now and again.

Ti.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Rick - Bruce biased? - now whatever gave you that idea? !! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
seems you need to decide what gun will be right for you. All the above guns you list should be reliable and are proven designs. What feels best in your hand? Do you want to have a single action short trigger pull or would a longer DA pull be better? Personal prefence rules most of us, rather than which is "best".

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
Hey woodduckwallace

Welcome to the forum.:unitedsta
You would be well served with either a Kimber or a SIG.
I would try both before you buy...if possible.
One may feel more natural to you than the other & naturally, you'll shoot that one better & that would be the one to buy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts