Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the gun world and my wife and I are interested in retaining our concealed carry lisc. We live in Oklahoma and would like to know what is the best to start out with as far as caliber and what-not. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Welcome from Memphis. I would suggest that you find a local gun shop (LGS) that has a range and rents guns. You and the wife should spend the day and shoot as many guns as you can afford. You will get a feel for the different manufacturers, calibers, frame sizes, recoil, etc. Don't buy anything just yet. Make notes while you are there and don't rely on your memory. Bring you notes back home and post your feelings and questions here about the different makes and models. You will get more feedback at that time than you ever wanted with a lot of good information. It may even be information overload.

Narrow it down to 2-3 for you and the wife and go back and use those again and make sure.

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
You need to find the pistol that fits your hand comfortably and the recoil is not excessive and IMHO the caliber should start with a "4".
Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
But Chief, he's probably not looking for a .410 shotgun. Ya Think?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Welcome from mid-Michigan. Like the rest have said, get your hands on a few see how they feel in your hand, try them out if possible. 9mm is a good caliber to start, not too much recoil, lots of capacity.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've hunted a few times and have shot a few rifles and shotguns but new to the pistol. Don't really know what I'm looking for. Thank you for the advise. I will look into the local gun shops

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Enjoy the forum.................... :wave:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Welcome from Southwest Florida.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret :31:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome from Farmington, Utah!

I agree with "lionround". Try different guns at the range and especially calibers to see what feels best for you regarding fit and ability to control recoil. If you've looked at polls about who owns what it'll run the spectrum because of everyone's individual preferences. For me, .40 S&W is my choice but that doesn't make it right for everyone.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

The recommendations to find a gun shop/gun range is a good one, but not sure how easy that will be for you in Laverne. Closest place you might find one would be Clinton OK. You might be able to find one in Amarillo TX, but wouldn't be able to buy it there. Another good place, if you wanted to make a day of it would be H&H Gun Range in OKC would work too.

My wife is originally from Erick OK, just of I-40 on old RT66.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin! I envy you the hard & strenuous job of shopping for a couple of guns. I's a rotten job but someone has to do it, lol.

We all have our preferences & there are many great guns out there. I'm partial to Glock & M&P myself, namely the Glock 23 (.40 cal), Glock 21(.45ACP) & M&P 40C. If you prefer 9MM then the Glock 19 & M&P 9C are the counterparts.

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.

For caliber, I'd go with 9mm.

Here are some 9mm guns I think you should consider looking at (in no particular order):

Walther PPQ
Glock 19
Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro
Ruger SR9c
Beretta 92A1 (add a light and this makes an excellent dedicated home defense handgun)

Here are 2 single stack 9mm you should look at:
Sig P938
Walther PPS

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
Welcome from Delaware!

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome to Defensive Carry :wave: The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts