Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On impulse, I decided that I needed to add an AK47 to the fleet, so that I would have a rifle chambered in 7.62X39. So I purchased this Century Arms RAS-47. It is a fairly new model and is 100% American made (AK47 fanboys will probably say that's not necessarily a good thing). Paid around $650.00 from Grab-A-Gun. It came with 2 MagPul P-Mag 30-round magazines. I purchased a couple of 20-round, and a couple of 10-round P-Mags also.

I have around 300 rounds through it over 2 range trips. There have been no malfunctions at all, and the factory iron sights were dead-nuts out of the box. Most of my shooting has been at 25 and 50, and some at 100 yards. My old eyes won't allow me to shoot accurately at long distances (100+yds.) with the small factory sights, so if I decide to keep the gun I will need to add a side mount and optic of some kind.

The AK purists and fanboys have been flaming on this rifle because it's not made in Russia and it has a cast trunion as opposed to a forged one, claiming that catastrophic failures are possible after 5000 rounds or so. I don't pay much attention to that, as Century has sold over 40,000 of these and I haven't been able to find any actual reports of them blowing up in my research. Besides, this gun will only see limited use at the range once in a while.

It's fun to shoot. The 7.62X39 packs a little more of a punch than my AR's chambered in 5.56. The recoil is very modest, in fact not much more than an AR.

I may or may not keep this gun. I'll decide once the novelty wears off. In the meantime, it's a fun and different range toy, and it does attract some attention at the range!

Century Arms

·
Registered
84 Posts
Agreed. My wife has one and loves it. Hers fires brass many stalls down the range. How does your's do with ejection didtance?

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
I wont get into it

But my issues other then the issues is the lack of a cleaning rod and a bayo lug not a big deal to most but I am a purisit so it bothers me they sold out on that to sell to commie states

If you like it thats that matters ..thats all I will say

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Cool!

I have just never been able to warm up to them...so mine did not hang around, too long.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you like it, but not everyone "needs" an AK. Some of us are quite conternt without one.
I hope you know I meant that purely in fun. I don't need an AK47 either. As I said, it was an impulse purchase. I probably will sell it on after the novelty wears off, as it really doesn't have a practical place in my collection. I know that if I keep it, I'm going to have to spend money on a mount and an optic, etc. to make it really usable for me. I feel more comfortable putting money into my AR's, as I am more familiar with that platform.

·
Administrator
144,127 Posts
For as many of that exact rifle have been already sold, if anything at all was breaking after 500 rounds....there would be 10,000 individual complaints plastered all over the Web.

And....just to be technically correct it would be a Steel investment casting and not Cast Iron.

AKA....Investment cast Steel~ the same material that Ruger uses for the construction of their firearms.

·
Premium Member
6,536 Posts
I hope you know I meant that purely in fun. I don't need an AK47 either. As I said, it was an impulse purchase. I probably will sell it on after the novelty wears off, as it really doesn't have a practical place in my collection. I know that if I keep it, I'm going to have to spend money on a mount and an optic, etc. to make it really usable for me. I feel more comfortable putting money into my AR's, as I am more familiar with that platform.
No. You were right the first time. Everyone needs an AK. Some just dont know it yet, lol.

I, too didnt like my first AK74 experience much. I was trained on an M-16, and was left to figure the AK out. Factor in that the sights were canted so badly that I couldnt even tell where I was hitting, and that was a gun I didnt keep long.

For reasons mainly having to do with ammo supply, I like the AK47 over the AK74. And, Im now much more comfortable with that platform.

Hope you have big fun with it.

Congrats

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I wont get into it

But my issues other then the issues is the lack of a cleaning rod and a bayo lug not a big deal to most but I am a purisit so it bothers me they sold out on that to sell to commie states

If you like it thats that matters ..thats all I will say
Come on now! We all know that bayonet lugs and cleaning rods make these a whole lot more deadly.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Agreed. My wife has one and loves it. Hers fires brass many stalls down the range. How does your's do with ejection didtance?
Fired a friend's AK this past Saturday,, that thing was ejecting brass down the road,,lol :smile:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Nice purchase! I like the look of it and have handled one myself at the LGS. Clean lines and a nice finish.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I was looking at ak-47s and ended up going with the mini-30. Wanted something easier to carry when hiking, and something that wasn't pieced together. Its accurate and fast enough to make tannerite go boom. I would have no problem using it for bear defense

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Congrats! I love getting a new gun, if you are happy that's all whats matter.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I love mine...Siaga...7.62X39....dead nuts accurate and nary a failure....no recoil....just plain fun to shoot and I don't care if I get it dirty!!!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I've had mine for over 30 years. A couple of ARs have come and gone but the old AK folder is here to stay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts