Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our department is in the middle of fall qualifications (do 2 a year) and we got to use our brand new sims shoothouse for scenario training. It was my day yesterday.
It was awesome and I'm glad to say I got no paint on me and shot the bad guys successfully, including a off-duty cop scenario....properly recognized and didn't shoot the cop.

Anyway, I was preparing for this sims, packing gear night before etc, and I remembered in the academy when we did sims training and what we had to wear for protection. Part of this was a towel either draped over the belt or tucked in front of the pants to protect things that you really didn't want to be hit by a sims round :nutkick:
There is protective gear available but I don't want to purchase it for just once a year, so as I was packing my gear I was getting mag pouches, etc and my smart carry was in the storage box (I don't wear it very often, but on occasion). So it him me....why not try this? I got one of my socks, folded it in half and stuffed it in the side where the pistol goes. I got one of my son's socks and put it in the side where the spare mag goes....oila! Instant family jewel protector.

I wore it a little lower than normal and it worked like a champ, wasn't too bulky, just right, wasn't as cumbersome as the big strap on cups they provide us with--can bend/twist/go prone a lot more comfortably.
Just thought I'd share in case anyone else will be doing airsoft or sims training. It was a very easy to use protector.

and yes I qualified on everything :smile: G30 off-duty, Keltec P11 backup and night qual with the G17 248/250 (do rifle/shotgun in spring)

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Congrats on the not getting hit part...as for the sock...

eh...save yourself future trouble and just get a cup! Don't you need one for any force on force or martial arts training anyway? Seems to me that trying to protect the family with a SOCK is a bit trusting ... Lets see...You've got a hard-ish projectile traveling at just under 400-500fps and you're putting all your faith and trust into a sock? eh...no thanks...:nutkick:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the not getting hit part...as for the sock...

eh...save yourself future trouble and just get a cup! Don't you need one for any force on force or martial arts training anyway? Seems to me that trying to protect the family with a SOCK is a bit trusting ... Lets see...You've got a hard-ish projectile traveling at just under 400-500fps and you're putting all your faith and trust into a sock? eh...no thanks...:nutkick:
well the sweatshirt prevented any marking (skin 'damage') when hit on arms/chest abdomen before so I think the smart carry material plus sock would be effective, but yeah when we do force on force I'd use the big bulky cups they provide

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Plus you were probably real popular with the lady cops.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plus you were probably real popular with the lady cops.
well,.....none in my group for quals so that would be a no
but I wasn't popular with anyone else either

1 - 5 of 5 Posts