Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this today from a sale on Gunbroker. LNIB Sig P225-A1 that I snagged for $599.00. Night sights, short reset trigger. Not a scratch on it, or the magazines.

Sig in Case.jpg

Sig.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Very nice! What plans do you have for it?

I started having a desire to pick one of these up after watching Kurt Wallander (as played by Kenneth Branagh) carry one on the Swedish detective series. To date I haven't had a chance to shoot or handle one, but thought that since the Sig P229 has been the sidearm that I have carried the most over the years the P225 would work fine.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice! What plans do you have for it?

I started having a desire to pick one of these up after watching Kurt Wallander (as played by Kenneth Branagh) carry one on the Swedish detective series. To date I haven't had a chance to shoot or handle one, but thought that since the Sig P229 has been the sidearm that I have carried the most over the years the P225 would work fine.
Not really sure what it's main role will be. Like you, I carry a 229, and have for the past year. Prior to that, I was nothing but Glock and did not think I could shoot a DA/SA. I started with the M11-A1 (which I now consider my "practice" pistol) but daily carry is a Legion.

I saw a video about this pistol and the design appealed to me for a slightly smaller and lighter DA/SA single stack. I think Sig will probably kill this pistol in the next year or two as the demand for DA/SA pistols seems to be shrinking. The guy I bought this from had just bought it at a prior auction, and says he never fired it. I looked up the prior auction and he was the only bidder on Gunbroker for that pistol

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Not really sure what it's main role will be. Like you, I carry a 229, and have for the past year. Prior to that, I was nothing but Glock and did not think I could shoot a DA/SA. I started with the M11-A1 (which I now consider my "practice" pistol) but daily carry is a Legion.

I saw a video about this pistol and the design appealed to me for a slightly smaller and lighter DA/SA single stack. I think Sig will probably kill this pistol in the next year or two as the demand for DA/SA pistols seems to be shrinking. The guy I bought this from had just bought it at a prior auction, and says he never fired it. I looked up the prior auction and he was the only bidder on Gunbroker for that pistol
I agree that the pistol will likely be phased out. In fact, I thought that it had been already and had been brought back again.

After having it seem like a body appendage for many years, I seldom carry my P229 now and primarily carry single stack pistols or short barrel revolvers. I find it somewhat humorous that when the P229 first came out I found it amazingly easy to carry compared to full size handguns. Now, it seems so large and bulky, particularly through the grip, with it's double stack.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice. How does it compare with the now-defunct P239?
I am unable to say. Never had the opportunity to shoot one of those. All of the reviews I have read on this pistol have been very good. It's similar enough to my two P229s that I am sure it will be nice.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice.

How does it compare with the now-defunct P239?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I have both, and the 225-A1 does feel better in my hand; better balanced and more grip purchase. But Sig dropped the ball by using a modified 239 magazine instead of designing a proper magazine that held another round or 2. The 225-A1 would be even better if it came in 357 Sig or 40 cal.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have both, and the 225-A1 does feel better in my hand; better balanced and more grip purchase. But Sig dropped the ball by using a modified 239 magazine instead of designing a proper magazine that held another round or 2. The 225-A1 would be even better if it came in 357 Sig or 40 cal.
Amen to that. There is clearly enough unused space in the magazine for them to have done this.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Nice piece. About 20 years ago I purchased one of the German police surplus P6 pistols, essentially the P225 in police issue version. Century International had those, in the box with manual and two mags, for $180 each at the time. Great pistol, which I foolishly let go of in a trade and now wish I had kept.

Last year I picked up a Sig "Red Box" P229 .40S&W. Full factory reconditioned LE trade-in pistol, looks brand new, with one-year factory warranty. Got it for $410 plus shipping on GB. Another great Sig pistol, but I personally prefer the single-stack grip of the P6/P225 series. I have normal-size hands with long fingers so the double-stacks are not a problem for me, but I don't see how those with smaller hands would get along with them.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Last year I picked up a Sig "Red Box" P229 .40S&W. Full factory reconditioned LE trade-in pistol, looks brand new, with one-year factory warranty. Got it for $410 plus shipping on GB. Another great Sig pistol, but I personally prefer the single-stack grip of the P6/P225 series. I have normal-size hands with long fingers so the double-stacks are not a problem for me, but I don't see how those with smaller hands would get along with them.
I can't explain how or why, but the grip on my P229 feels "better" (more secure, more controllable) than Glocks with thinner grips (I was a Glock guy for the previous 9 years). My wife, who has even smaller hands than I do, shoots my P229 very well, although she carries a G43.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts