Defensive Carry banner

Is the e-Vault code system safe enough to be child proof?

• Yes it's safe with an electronic 4 pattern code with a child

Votes: 31 93.9%
  • NO I would not trust that system with a 4 year old

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this today cause the little one is getting to big to leave guns in the dresser at night for invasion protection.

I have to mount it and will probably do so under the bed with access by reaching underneath.

I do have one concern. There is 4 buttons that you can set and your own combo for being able to open without the key.

Can a 4 year old get un-lucky enough to start pushing buttons and open it?

It does have a lockout system where 3 tries of the wrong number will lock the safe for 2mins before another attempt can be made and if you fail after that an alarm goes off that can only be shut off with the RIGHT code!.

also you have to kind of push the buttons in a sort of rhythm for it to work if you push buttons real fast like a chile might it does not even start to look for the code.

Just curious if you think the SAFE is "SAFE"

See the attached video for operation

Here is the Bed-Time Rig!

H&K USP Compact .40 Stainless w/trijicon sites
M6 Laser/Flashlight combo
--

Video:
YouTube - evault

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
It is something very similar to what I use. I figure the alarm will alert me if my kids try messing around with it. Unless your code is 1234 or 1111, 2222, something they might accidentally push on the first try, you should be good.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have a "Gunvault" 4 button electronic safe as well that we keep our 2 EDC pistols in (my Kimber UC2 has laser grips so its a good nightstand pistol too) & we mounted it on top of our large safe (next to the bed) where our little guy cant reach anyway, although when he can scale up there iam not worried about him being able to open it either. As codes have to be pushed in an exact manner & the safe locks you out after 3 (i think) failed attempts. The door that springs open is recessed in there so he cant get his little fingers or any prying objects in there to try & jack the door :hand10:

P.S.. we had the the "Gunvault Bio" first & that one sucked, even after a replacement unit it still would NOT scan your finger properly sometimes & of course it would not open. Try to deal with that in a hurried manner in the middle of the night :hand1:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P.S.. we had the the "Gunvault Bio" first & that one sucked, even after a replacement unit it still would NOT scan your finger properly sometimes & of course it would not open. Try to deal with that in a hurried manner in the middle of the night :hand1:
I had that one in my hand too! Glad I didnt get it.

I saw a video on the gunvault on youtube that disturbed me:

YouTube - UNSAFE GUN SAFE VAULT

It looks like who ever make the gunvault make the e-vault for Winchester because the box looks the same.

I tried the tap method and it did not open so maybe it was an early flaw!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Assuming you can only press 1 of the 4 buttons per "keystroke" and it takes a 4 key code then you have a keyspace of 4^4 or 256 possible codes.

In order to work around the lockout feature, the most efficient brute-force attack would be to attempt 3 codes for every time you open it correctly with the 4th. Assuming you open the safe twice per day that would allow for 6 guesses per day.

256 codes / 6 guesses = 42.67 days to try every possible code.

I would suggest that you change your code every time you change your smoke detector batteries and rest comfortable knowing that your 4 year old is safe.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I had that one in my hand too! Glad I didnt get it.

I saw a video on the gunvault on youtube that disturbed me:

YouTube - UNSAFE GUN SAFE VAULT

It looks like who ever make the gunvault make the e-vault for Winchester because the box looks the same.

I tried the tap method and it did not open so maybe it was an early flaw!
You had me worried...I have 4 of them! I just went & tried ALL of them & NONE opened!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I like that a lot. How much $$$
I just emailed them for a price quote but I imagine it won't be too cheap. Still a pretty cool and safe way to keep a gun hidden, secure and readily accessible in plain view. Here's their site:
Stealth Vault, LLC. Home Page

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Assuming you can only press 1 of the 4 buttons per "keystroke" and it takes a 4 key code then you have a keyspace of 4^4 or 256 possible codes.

In order to work around the lockout feature, the most efficient brute-force attack would be to attempt 3 codes for every time you open it correctly with the 4th. Assuming you open the safe twice per day that would allow for 6 guesses per day.

256 codes / 6 guesses = 42.67 days to try every possible code.

I would suggest that you change your code every time you change your smoke detector batteries and rest comfortable knowing that your 4 year old is safe.
I have a Gun Vault Deluxe. You can use a minimum of 3 entries, with a maximum of 6. For each entry you can use 1, or more than 1, or all buttons.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Did you get a quote.

How much?
Sorry, I completely forgot to post it here. Way too much for my wallet. Here's the price:

Series: GDS
Stealth Vault with Gun Deliver System and Biometrics activation.

WRHGDS-F1 WALNUT RIGHT HAND BIOMETRIC’S Sales Price $1695,
Includes Rechargeable Battery

Series: PB Stealth Vault with Gun Deliver System and
Push Button activation.

WRHPB-P1 WALNUT RIGHT HAND PUSH BUTTON Sales Price $1195.00

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Some things to remember:

1) Never underestimate the intelligence of a child; given unsupervised time, he will figure out the combination to that safe.

2) The best weapons safety around anyone untrained in the use of firearms is vigilance; never let the weapon out of your direct control at any time. That is what I do in my home. My pistol is never out of my immediate reach, yet my children aged 8,6,&4 know to stay away from it and do not touch for any reason. But even though they know that, I am still vigilant.

3) I cannot say this enough, supervision and paying attention when kids are around is the key to preventing any kind of firearms accident. Yes, you can introduce them to firearms in a controlled setting to get them used to the concept, but never rely solely on simple safes to keep your weapons away from children; like nature, if they are curious they will find a way to gain access to it and bad things happen then.

Just a few tips to keep things safe, good luck.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a Gun Vault Deluxe. You can use a minimum of 3 entries, with a maximum of 6. For each entry you can use 1, or more than 1, or all buttons.

Yea, so there are 15 permutations per key press so it's a minimum of 15^3 = 3375 combinations or 15^6 = 11390625 combinations.

However, that's only if you use key combinations that use more than one key at a time. I do.

My 4 and 6 year old know that "box" is off limits and there's no way they can work at it for more than a couple minutes before getting busted. (we're waiting until next summer to educate the boys as the little ones quite the blabbermouth right now :image035:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts