Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gut.

As a result, when I carry on my belt the extray weight of my pistol plus my gut pushes my belt down and I am constantly "pulling my pants up."

So I plan on getting rid of the gut so I can carry more comfortably.

I am getting sick of it. I am constantly pulling my gunbelt up over and over again.

Anyone else making the same resolution?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I don't have a gut by any means and I don't make NE resolutions, but my GOAL is to lose some weights and get in better shape. We all spend our money on good guns, good holsters, good belts and good gear and in most cases the weak link is the person carrying it all.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I trying to lose about 12-15lbs so my pants will fit better and make carrying a little easier. I got married 2.5yrs ago and I put on about 30lbs since!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Suspenders?

Have you considered Perry suspenders? They attach to a belt and hold it up, as well as assist with your concealed handgun, holster, etc.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had the same problem until I got a crossbreed supertuck holster. When I first got it I carried at 5 o'clock, and my pants still wouldn't stay up. I moved it over to 3 o'clock and they stay up a lot better even with a heavy pistol (hk usp compact). I would try that if I were you it may just work.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have gained 20lbs. since getting a knee replacement.... I plan on getting back into my normal workout rountine and getting back down

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm planning on losing 10-15. As a full time student I tend to eat poorly and frequently. Trying to look and feel better... Can't carry on campus anyway.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I lost 52 lbs from June to September '09. Through the holidays I have picked up 10. I will lose 20 more by 1MAR10 and stay there for the rest of the year. Good luck on getting fit. I makes a HUGE difference in the way you feel and the holsters ride much better!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Have you considered Perry suspenders? They attach to a belt and hold it up, as well as assist with your concealed handgun, holster, etc.
That's exactly what I was going to say. Plus it helps my back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a gut.

As a result, when I carry on my belt the extray weight of my pistol plus my gut pushes my belt down and I am constantly "pulling my pants up."

So I plan on getting rid of the gut so I can carry more comfortably.

I am getting sick of it. I am constantly pulling my gunbelt up over and over again.

Anyone else making the same resolution?
I'm with ya. Although I started just a little over a month ago I've already lost 10 pounds in 4 weeks just by cutting out the Monday through Friday McDees breakfasts every morning (800 calories???)
that I had been doing that for almost two years... and just that helped.

I have found that wearing an undershirt tucked in (over your underwear of course) under your belt, IWB holster and outer cover helps in keeping things more level and secure.

But I'm with ya... I will be working to be a better shooter... strengthen that weak hand and increase my agility... and loosing weight couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Ridge Runner; good luck!!

I have been working on weight since Sept; 28 pounds off (290 at start and now 261) hope to lose the other 61 pounds by Setember 2010!! Means new pants and I maybe buying the Perry's to keep from buying as many new pants!?! I am doing it by walking 2 mile (and I hope more in time) a day or new that we have cold and snow (a four letter word I wish I did not need to use) a treadmill 30-40 mintues a day as well as not eating as much junk and eating more fruits and vegies!!

Again good luck!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hey guys, I have lost about 25 since april, I am now 6'2" 325, and only 24 years old. My dad just an additional six stents put in his heart yesterday, his cardiologist recited some scripture that really hit home about being fit and taking care of your body. There is also another thread on here about how you stay in shape. I lost my weight by being apart of a support group called TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) its a really good group. Check your local area for a group. Here's a link.

Weight Loss Support | Weight Management Support | Low Carb Foods

Very cool thing, very helpful.

Good luck to all, put that "fat guy burger" money towards gear and guns!!!

Stay healthy, stay safe.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
AllAbtSlfDef:
I would love to hear the Scripture you are talking about...and good luck with your process of weight loss...it has been a life long battle for me as well.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I did that a few years ago. I stuck to it and lost 160 pounds.

I can tell you, the world is a much better place when you aren't fat anymore. It is MUCH easier to carry all day. It is MUCH easier to conceal my gun, even a BIG gun.

Then there is the fact that everything is better. Sleep. No pain in the knees when walking. Easier to find clothes that fit.

I wish you good luck and stick to it. The pay off is way sweeter than any cookie or sweet treat you can put in your mouth. I would much rather look and feel the way I do now that enjoy a momentary treat and gain a pound or two.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
It was my goal after the holiday parties to lose as much weight as my wife has, but it seems I need to have knee surgery very soon first. As soon as that is taken care of, I will start cardio activities again. I intend to change my diet and do upper body weight training right away, though.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Last year I lost about 15 lbs I am a type 2 diabetic so its hard to eat food that has no carbs etc. in them, so I bought one of thoes Chianese bamboo steamers & steamed all of my meat, fish & veggies in it, at first it tasts like crap but adding a little of Mrs Dash spice on them changed the flavor of the food to taste better since the holidays I put the weight back on & I will start over again on the steaming program, once again. & get down to a more better weight

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Well, I don't really like new years resolutions, because well, they're called resolutions and too many folks don't stick to them. Resolution begins with RESOLUTE; firmly resolved, immutable.

As for the actual "gut" loss, start simple. If you're being honest and you're out of shape, start with the basics, ie walking. Lots of running etc... early on will kill your knees if you've got a lot of extra weight(personal experience in this department:icon_neutral:).

After a couple of weeks of regular say hour long walking, start throwing in some BASIC weight training, not hardcore, just start light and work your way back up. You'll know when to step things up, things that were harder, are now manageable(notice I didn't say easy:rolleyes:). As things progress you'll find that the walking wont be enough and you'll have to start jogging short distances, and eventually longer. If you can get your weight down to a manageable level and your joints aren't shot you could start looking into something like a Crossfit type of routine and then you'll really start cutting it up. But don't start something like Crossfit unless you're already at a manageable level(like 20-30 lbs overweight), your knees etc... are ok, and you have regular checkups with your doc.

That said...I'm on board for dropping 20 lbs:redface:. At 6'1 and 212-215 lbs(I flip flop), I clearly need to get my butt back in gear again, but I can't really run much anymore since my knees are pretty well shot, so I'm going to have to stick with day hiking and weight lifting. I may start back into something like crossfit once spring rolls back around.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts