Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to CC and my job more or less requires I wear tucked in shirts. What type of holster would you recomend. I carry a XD 9mm.
Greg

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
greg - welcome :smilez:

You don't mention any over garment. So this suggests all you have is tucked in shirt. I do not myself have much faith in so called IWB ''tuckables'' but perhaps you could get away with it.

I think maybe you might have to consider a smaller carry piece and go with pocket carry - maybe even SmartCarry could work for you - it doesn't for everyone.

Then if shirt loose enough maybe an Action Direct chest defender deal - a white stretch band device with two small over shoulder support straps - gun goes in ''pocket'' under weak arm.

Give some more info tho on dress - oh and your build - this also influences options IMO.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Welcome to the forum.....like P95/Chris, I too recommend the Smart Carry holster.

·
Registered
262 Posts
P95Carry said:
- a white stretch band device with two small over shoulder support straps -
This sounds remarkably like a bra. Different strokes, I guess...:image035:

Greg,

I would also recommend the "Smart Carry," or possibly a good ankle rig. If you're carrying a full-size XD your deep concealment options are going to be somewhat limited, based mainly on your build, mode of dress, and tolerance for discomfort.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies. I should have added the xd is sub compact.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
''- a white stretch band device with two small over shoulder support straps - '' ....... This sounds remarkably like a bra. Different strokes, I guess...
Chris - haha - sounds odd!! In fact easiest way to visualize that is imagine a belly band but - made in white and worn high - the two small straps I reckon are just to stop it slipping down.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
+1 for smart carry. I use often, because I have to dress for work and business. Use a SW642 .38spl. or a pt140 in it. Love it.
And it helps to keep your shirt tucked in!
www.smartcarry.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I will need to rethink both my method of dressing and mode of carrying. Thank all for your advise and help.
Greg

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Greg, you might want to check this thread and go down until you get to the answers by fed wif a sig. Especially look at the post with the pictures. I am still debating getting one of these myself, but he makes a very good argument for using this method.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
dr_cmg said:
Greg, you might want to check this thread and go down until you get to the answers by fed wif a sig. Especially look at the post with the pictures. I am still debating getting one of these myself, but he makes a very good argument for using this method.
Which thread no link?

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Can't really help with problem, but wecome anyway

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Hi!
Welcome aboard! I will take the opposing view and advise in the strongest possible terms against Smartcarry/Thunderwear type systems. Here's why: Even highly trained and very experienced shooters undergo something called the tachy-psychia effect when involved in a real life defensive situation. There are many affects from this syndrome (a feeling of everything being in "slow motion". tunnel vision, ability to perceive incredible detail, auditory exclusion, among others). The affect that makes me VERY opposed to the afore mentioned carry systems is that the muscles in the hands/forearms involuntarily clench. This manifests itself in a fairly large number of people firing a round off as soon as they can possibly get their finger on the trigger. With these "crotch carry" methods, it means that you'll run the risk of blowing the family jewels out the seat of your pants, severing the femoral artery in your left leg and bleeding to death. This is not my idea of the optimal outcome of a defensive encounter.
By contrast, a strong side holster will, under the same circumstances, result in your burning a butt cheek and maybe incurring a minor flesh wound. Furthermore, a strong side carry will put you in a direct line with your intended target very naturally as a part of the draw stroke. All in all, it is much safer and faster to employ.
Please feel free to call me (423.733.1779) - we can discuss this in greater detail if you wish. Thank you and good luck!

·
Banned
270 Posts
I have and would use Smartcarry again if ultimate concealment was the need. There is not a more concealable system for a medium (I'm thinking Glock 27) size gun.

The gun is going to be slow to get to and telegraphed so you have to be realistic about presentation times and that drawing from the seated position is nearly impossible.

Since you have all this against you already, I carry the gun in condition 3 and do the Israeli drawstroke. It solves the problem Mr. Brommeland mentions and my family (jewels that is) sleep better at night. :)

I don't advocate this method for EDC, but it is the best for very low profile carry. Like in church, tucked dress shirt, no jacket. It protects against accidental bump frisks also.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
I carry all day and every day in a DeSantis Belly Band. I can wear my shirts tucked in or out and the belly band offers me the most concealment and the most options. http://www.desantisholster.com/060.html

·
Registered
211 Posts
I believe the C-TAC by Comp-Tac is tuckable.
http://www.comp-tac.com/

Sidearmor has a tuckable IWB, but are making mods to it at the moment so it isn't on the website.

Tucker gunleather has at least one tuckable model IWB, "The Answer"

http://www.tuckergunleather.com/

I have a similar requirement at my office, that I get around by wearing the Cuban guaybera or Hawaiian style shirts. Not with the patterns, but silk or linen with subtle designs. These shirts are designed to wear untucked. You may try this style of dress and see if you can get away with it. Tommy Bahama makes some nice stuff, though really expensive. I wear an undershirt and carry IWB with this style shirt over and no one is the wiser. When I get sick of having the butt of the gun poke me in the kidney all day or dress in polo and dockers, I pocket carry.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
OK NOW BOYS!!!! Do I have to jump and stomp my feet again? Ty for the reminder about the t-shirt. (If ya'al had been able to read what I had wrote before reading ALL the post, LOL, I'd be owing some beers. I use the UC Comfort daily for anywhere between 10 and 24 hours. It has become my primary duty carry and I dress very business, slacks and tucked in business shirt. For someone working in a business environment where concealability means either carrying or not, I highly recomend the UC Comfort (no I dont own stock or even sell them).

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
+1 on the Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. You can also get extra clips for it that have velcro on them. You can have the other velcro side sewn into a leather belt. Now you have a very thin holster with no visible clips.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts