Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Don and my alias is in respect to where I have Mule Deer hunted since 1981.
I am a WA CPP holder, my personal carry rig is a Kimber Royal Carry Compact, 45 ACP. I use a BladeTech IWB carry rig for my hide.
My wife works at home, there have been break ins all around us, we have been getting knocks on the front door while she is working only to find no one there when checking the door. We have a security system and she uses the system in the armed stay mode all the time. I am going to add a motion activated video system this weekend which can be monitored with a tablet.
My wife wants us to add a home defense pistol, a 38 spec, 380, or 9mm.
I'm here to learn.
Best Regards,
Don

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
Greetings from Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
After a few years of being ANTI I got my wife to finally come around and she doesn't carry but can shoot a Glock G26. She also has a Ruger LCR in .38+P. My wife and i are going off on a short trip and leaving our daughter and her 9 month old alone in the house. I plan on leaving her the Ruger LCR but instead of ball ammo or Hollow points, I am getting some WADCUTTER ammo because i understand they shoot softer than the other two options ( And leave a very nice wound channel too). My daughter really hasn't any interest in firearms but i told her in these times it's a handy tool.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don...welcome to the forum from Maple Valley. I suggest a snubbie for the wife, just aim and shoot if the situation warrants. I've have great success with affordable Rossi revolvers (older 88, 68's), amazingly accurate guns. These models are the bargain of all time. I currently have my eye on a new Rossi 462 (6 round, SS, 357 mag). Also, the Taurus 85's are affordable and well done and for the Brazilian gun haters, yes, I do have S&W and Ruger guns too...and Glock, and Sig, and Browning, and Beretta...and...and...

Rossi 88 (Pachmayr grip), top; S&W 36 (nickle, never fired) bottom...
Rossi 88 S&W 36.jpg

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin, Don! It sure is a hard world out there & someone who doesn't go armed in many areas or even at home makes for a soft target.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Welcome from the Humble/Atascocita area of Texas.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

RET :31:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Greetings from Helena, Montana. I was gonna say I don't think there's much deer hunting left in Snohomish County till I googled the named of the lake and saw the location. That's a beautiful area. I used to live in Ellensburg for school and would frequent up there, even go to Octoberfest in Levenworth when we were tired of raising hell in Yakima and Kitittas County. Anyways welcome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greetings from Helena, Montana. I was gonna say I don't think there's much deer hunting left in Snohomish County till I googled the named of the lake and saw the location. That's a beautiful area. I used to live in Ellensburg for school and would frequent up there, even go to Octoberfest in Levenworth when we were tired of raising hell in Yakima and Kitittas County. Anyways welcome.
And I was born in Helena, many family members back there to this very day. In the spring of 1960 my dad graduated from MSU, took a job with Boeing and the rest is history. I consider myself more of a Boeing baby than a MT native, but that comes with being an honest man.
Spent many years roaming the hills heading out of last chance gulch. Great childhood memories panning for gold with my grandpa.
I recently heard that any Montana born person is now entitled to purchase a resident hunting license, even if they no longer live there - is that true?
Best Regards,
Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the warm welcome - I have a lot to learn, this self defense discipline is something I only dabbled in. Working on getting more formal training than just relying upon my IPSIC skills - this is not a game.
Best Regards, Don

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Welcome to Defensive Carry from south of you in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!

·
Registered
631 Posts
And I was born in Helena, many family members back there to this very day. In the spring of 1960 my dad graduated from MSU, took a job with Boeing and the rest is history. I consider myself more of a Boeing baby than a MT native, but that comes with being an honest man.
Spent many years roaming the hills heading out of last chance gulch. Great childhood memories panning for gold with my grandpa.
I recently heard that any Montana born person is now entitled to purchase a resident hunting license, even if they no longer live there - is that true?
Best Regards,
Don
They do have a deal if you were born in Montana and are no longer a resident. The only kicker is you still have to have an immediate family member that still lives in the state.

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Nonresident Montana Native Hunting License

·
Registered
426 Posts
Welcome to the forum Don from Chicago. Sorry that you are having those kind of problems in your neighborhood but really glad that you're taking action. There is a wealth of knowledge here and members that are willing to share. I believe we all learn from each other, I know I do.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome to Defensive Carry :wave: The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas

·
Registered
559 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin!

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I do NOT suggest a snubbie for a home defense gun. Especially not for a woman who has not shot much if any. A revolver is a good idea for a new shooter, but for home defense, look at something like an older S&W Model 10 with a 4" barrel. Very soft shooters and a long enough barrel to be much more accurate (MUCH) than a snubbie. Tiny little mouse guns are too hard to learn to shoot accurately for most new shooters.

Over the years I have shot all sizes and weights of .38, 9mm and .380. My recommendation is based on my experience as a woman who does not have much (if any) upper body strength. I do NOT miss when I aim a gun!

Disclaimer: My first gun was a S&W steel 5 shot .38 special snubbie. That is what I learned on. I sincerely wanted to learn to shoot and didn't have a problem with it because I was highly motivated. I have seen way too many other women start with a light weight small gun and quit. Just quit. They are not pleasant to shoot in any way.

Best wishes and stay safe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts