Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK now I'm getting my XD 45.acp this week. Next weekend I'm going to take it out for the first time. Ive never owned a NIB gun before. What should the break in period be? And what are somethings NOT to do to it until its had a few hundred rounds through it?

Also I plan on getting an extra mag for it so i have 3 total. One for the gun, and two for the mag holder that comes with it. I probably wont carry the mag holder. But When i go shooting or camping or hiking here in Central Oregon, Ill probably carry it with both clips fully loaded. My question is. I notice that most ammo departments of gun shops offer "shot shells" Bullets that are tip filled with shotgun bird and snake bb's. Would firing those through the XD cause damage to the barrel? I'm not sure if the barrel of these are grooved to cause the bullet to spin or not but if they are it seems to me that the BB's would cause damage?

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
I would lightly oil the gun before shooting it. Carrying back up spare mags is a good idea, unless you are a great shot and never miss. Shot shells (soft lead BB's)should not hurt the gun, but very well not cycle the action. A good scrubber /cleaner and a brass brush shold be able to remove any lead fouling.
Enjoy your new XD:biggrin2:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Personally i field strip a new gun and clean it , then relube with quality oil and or gun grease before the first range session . This gives me a chance to look over the action etc.. for any issues that QC at the factory missed ( like a commander series 80 that somehow colt forgot to mill the feed ramp on the frame i once bought ) . Then basically its the same as any other gun . I really recommend you don't get out the " electric pencil " and carve your initials in the slide until its well broke inn or a bit beyond:buttkick: As for shot shells personally i wont use them other than in .22 revolvers to clean sparrows and other vermin out of the shop or granaries . That being said about the only damage they could even conceivably cause is leading of the barrel which just requires a bit of elbow grease and proper scrubbing to remove . hope that helps

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Break in is normally considered to be 500 rounds. I like 1000 to be sort of sure.
Strip it. clean it, lube and then shoot the snot out of it. Actually, try to break it.

AFS

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Ill probably stay away from the shot shells then. Rocky made a good point, I was wondering how they would work in the action because they didn't have the bullet on the tip to feed. just a crimped shell.
I slipped up and referred to them as clips...sorry but if you notice i called them mags the other times... LOL.. so take it easy!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
typo's - duh

Most has been covered - but certainly a pre-shoot field strip always good IMO - it familiarizes you with internals a bit too. Do not over lube - less is more to a great extent.

Main priority I always mention is that bore is clean and oil-free - I know some folks who just load up and shoot - but if bore is oily it increases pressures.

Break-in ammo qty does vary somewhat gun to gun. In some cases I think 200 rounds is enough but for total reliability proving etc then maybe 500 should do with most guns. I know my SIG is now (even) better after about 1,000.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
I know my 1911 needed no real break in. 300 rnds without a feed problem, other than HP's with aftermarket mags.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Real happy with my Wilson Mags

1 - 10 of 10 Posts