Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found and joined this forum to learn all that I can about obtaining the right defensive weapon for myself. At this time I don't own a gun but after having the experience of having someone at my window last night, who I am sure was thinking about whether he should break in. I was going to look out the blind when I saw the shadow and immediately called 911. It took the police around ten minutes to arrive, and although I appreciated them if that person at my window had decided to enter I am not sure what might have occurred during that 10 minute time, that was the moment I decided I needed to get a weapon to defend myself. There are courses ear me that I will check out but not really sure what to look for or ask of the course offer. Need help. I also found the online course through Concealedcarryuniversity.com and it sounded good for someone who knows nothing about guns. I would still believe that the course would just point me in the right direction. Jeremy said he had it and thought it was good

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
First of all, welcome.

Second, congratulations on making the decision to accept responsibility for your own personal safety.

Third, you are already headed in the right direction. Get quality, professional instruction from a reputable instructor - in person. There is lots of information on the internet, and the good is mixed with the bad. Unfortunately it is almost impossible for a neophyte to discern the two.

For the time being I would worry less about what is the right firearm for you and more about getting the right instructor. I am sure that they will provide some guidance as to what is best suited to your situation.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I'd also recommend some competent training and that you know the laws where you live.

My rule of thumb for the use of deadly force is that there must be an imminent threat to life or severe bodily harm. That's my guideline, ymmv.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I definitely will be taking a course, and practice, just need to find a good one. Thanks

·
Registered
10,638 Posts
Welcome from Utah. This forum is a great source of information.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome to Defensive Carry :wave: The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would suggest going to your local gun store and inquiring about decent trainers in your area. I'll bet they can recommend someone. Congrats on taking the first step of being responsible for your and your family's safety.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

RET :31:

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin!

Training is very important for a new firearm owner both for safety & proficiency in being able to hit what you're shooting at. It also is probably a requirement to get a concealed carry license. I reccomend that you go to a gun store & talk it over with them. Preferrably one with a range & guns for rent. That way you'll be able to try out a few before you buy one.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Welcome to the DC forum. Lots of good information to be found here and sometimes some not-so-good ideas, too. We attempt to treat each other with respect to everyone's opinions.

Seeing you live in Florida, you might want to enroll in one of the hunter safety courses provided by the Florida Division of Wildlife. They have traditional one day instructor led courses, online courses, and interactive virtual reality courses available. While you might not be interested in hunting, most hunter safety courses provide a well grounded approach to general firearms safety that would get you started thinking about responsible firearm ownership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for advice. I have been in touch with a couple trainers and will be taking a course

·
Registered
183 Posts
First of all, welcome.

Second, congratulations on making the decision to accept responsibility for your own personal safety.

Third, you are already headed in the right direction. Get quality, professional instruction from a reputable instructor - in person. There is lots of information on the internet, and the good is mixed with the bad. Unfortunately it is almost impossible for a neophyte to discern the two.

For the time being I would worry less about what is the right firearm for you and more about getting the right instructor. I am sure that they will provide some guidance as to what is best suited to your situation.
Agreed

·
Registered
183 Posts
I found and joined this forum to learn all that I can about obtaining the right defensive weapon for myself. At this time I don't own a gun but after having the experience of having someone at my window last night, who I am sure was thinking about whether he should break in. I was going to look out the blind when I saw the shadow and immediately called 911. It took the police around ten minutes to arrive, and although I appreciated them if that person at my window had decided to enter I am not sure what might have occurred during that 10 minute time, that was the moment I decided I needed to get a weapon to defend myself. There are courses ear me that I will check out but not really sure what to look for or ask of the course offer. Need help. I also found the online course through Concealedcarryuniversity.com and it sounded good for someone who knows nothing about guns. I would still believe that the course would just point me in the right direction. Jeremy said he had it and thought it was good
Welcome !!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome from the Florida Spacecoast. Also recommend formal training. I see you are in Florida. I use Florida Firearms Training for my training.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
Greetings.jpg
Start with a good Handgun 101 (Know the basics. You can find these on Groupon some bundle the beginning class with a Conceal License class) Then work up from there as budget allows

1 - 20 of 21 Posts