Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A member commented to me that just perhaps, some of our newer folks to guns and carry might not be fully up to speed on rules of safety.

Therefore let me post a reminder of these rules (my own version, just slightly modified) - and to all those who know them well please excuse the mention - I am fully in favor of safety measures being to excess rather than short measure!

These are Col Cooper's and have one more rule than the NRA version - it is these I live by. They are obvious and common sense but - if followed will prevent hurt or tragedy.

Always follow them all but should one be forgotten then the others can usually stem disaster. Not all folks agree with me but I consider rule #2 almost the ultimate ''catch all'' - if it were only that which was followed, no one can get hurt! YMMV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rule #1 - A gun is loaded - always. (even if just checked clear!)

Rule #2 - NEVER point a gun at anything you do not wish to DESTROY

Rule #3 - Keep finger off trigger until actually intending to shoot.

Rule #4 - Know your target - and what is beyond.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shoot well and stay safe.

`

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
Great reminder Chris, and just in time for all those Christmas guns.:xpb_red:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thanks Chris. Good to be reminded or introduced.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
I personaly believe that Rule #1 is the most important. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check the chamber, even if you just did 2 min ago, check it again before handing to someone (then have them check it too) or before loading into your vehical, or storage. This is a VERY important rule in Firearms.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True enough Bruce, as really are they all. I still tho stick by that #2 as the ultimate saviour of life and limb as if someone did let #1 slip by them, #2 would at least limit things to red face :icon16:

I guess anyways we could debate the hierarchy aspect ad infinitum as folks see them sometimes with different priorities - so best bet is ''Four rules - all the way''. :smile:

·
Registered
988 Posts
There should also be a rule #5 added to the list IMHO...

Rule #5 - ALWAYS know where your gun is! YOU are the one who is legallay and morally responsible for it!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll not dispute that! And for sure I think it is something all responsible shooters must be aware of - and the folks here I'd say certainly are. I say that because we are pretty much experienced shooters to varying degrees and mostly too carry people.

It is something I drum into newer shooters that's for sure, and one (of many) reasons why I extol full time carry - the carry piece is therefore under one's own control at all times.

The only reason it is not down as one of the above four rules (per Cooper) is - it is not per se a rule of gun handling - more a rule of gun ownership responsibility.

No less worthwhile however for having a reminder :smile:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks Chris .Allways good to revew.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Don't have to say anything more.
frankmako

·
Registered
11 Posts
Recently one of the members of my gunclub shot himself, he says he did everything twrong that night
Unloaded incorrectly, covered his own leg with muzzle, & instead of decocking, pulled the trigger. Cost? One Leg.
Complancey will kill you in one second.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The best way I was taught about rule number two is this way and that's how I always remembered it:

Treat the barrel like it is a lazer that will cut through anything and everything, that being said, always keep it pointed in a safe direction- like the floor.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yup...

Last CCH class I taught...

Had a friend of a friend...Squeezed him in as a favor...

Dude was CLUELESS...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Excellent! Before I take newbies to the range, I always explain and have them recite those four rules before even picking up the firearms. Then i'll go into handling and marksmanship. i find from there comments afterwards they always appreciate it and that it instills a good feeling of respect for firearms.

·
Super Moderator
18,095 Posts
Its always a good thing to bring up.

We really hammer on this in the CCW classes we teach. We specifically talk about it no less than 4 times thoughout the class and even include it in the test.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanx Chris,

#1 & 2 are still with me even though I last fired a round 15 yrs ago. BUT # 3 & 4 aren't even a blurred memory.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Life Savers! Don't leave home without em'!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Always good to refresh your memory on the rules of safety. It can never hurt (but forgetting one certainly can!).

An addition to Bruce's comment on handing a gun to someone else. I've always said "never hand someone a loaded gun unless you want to get shot". In my opinion, you should always unload the weapon, open and lock the action, then hand it to them, so you both know the weapon is unloaded.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts