Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next purchase will likely be a 40 cal. My current list of considerations (in no particular order) include:

Glock 23
HK USPc
HK P2000SK DA/SA with decocker
Sig P229
Taurus PT140 M Pro SS
CZ Rami

If the one I end up going with has the option of a stainless steel slide, I'd prefer SS...but it's not a decision changer.

I've shot and taken down my buddy's G23, so I know what to expect there. I can order one through my local gun shop with my EMS agency ID for about $440. That's a lot of good gun for that price.

I like the features and options of the HKP2000 SK listed above. I haven't had one in hand and I'm not sure of the price as described.

I've handled the Taurus PT140 and shot the 9mm version and I was comfortable with it. For the price difference, I'd go with the G23.

Most of the Sig's I've handled felt bulky in my hand. I haven't handled the P229, so I can't speak to that model specifically.

I know it comes down to personal preference and comfort level along with how much certain features may be worth to me. There are many great firearms and manufacturers out there...far more than I am familiar with. Any thoughts, comparisons, or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I've shot and taken down my buddy's G23, so I know what to expect there. I can order one through my local gun shop with my EMS agency ID for about $440. That's a lot of good gun for that price.
Well.....you've pretty much said it yourself in your post. G23....plain and simple. Glock on!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Be sure to check out the S&WM&P40 with the 3 interchangable backstraps. You can also buy a 357Sig barrel and have two calibers for the price of one gun.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Glock 23...will make youmuch happier overall. My EDC is a 23. I also have a P228 same size as a p229. The 23 has a much higher degree of "Carry Versatility" and is less bulky IMO. So G23 then 229 in that order.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I have 3 of the guns on your list, the G23, the USP40c and the Sig P229. They are all good but different.

You didn't mention your application for the gun. If it is for carry, the Glock 23 at the low price you mentioned is very tempting. That would be a lot cheaper than the H&K or the Sig.

I think the Sig P229 is the best of the three for a range gun, where the extra weight is a benefit. I'd rather shoot my P229 at targets than any polymer gun, and can shoot it the best of any of my .40s.

The USP40c is just a good all around gun - lightweight for carry, reliable and accurate. It also looks very good.

Here is a picture of my Glock 23, with a "stainless" slide appearance due to the previous owner having it hard chromed:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I'm a fan of the Glock 27

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be a CC weapon. I carry what I shoot and I shoot what I carry. I've got 2 snub 38s, and a sub-compact 9mm for CC and a Ruger P95 for range fun. I do not have a .40 currently and want to add one to my CC rotation. Once purchased and proficient, it would likely be my primary CCW.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You didn't say what your use would be. I have a G23 and it's a fine gun but a little too big (for me at least) for CC. Many people carry this size Glock with no problems. My next purchase in .40 will likely be a G27. :wave:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I like the subcompacts and have settled on the G27 after going through about 10 different .40 caliber and 9mm Glocks. For some reason I seem to shoot the G26 and G27 models almost as well as my G34 Practical/Tactical 9mm.

What I like most about the G27 is the option of using 180 gr Federal HST hollow points for self defense and shooting in the Major power division in IPSC meets. As long as you shoot it enough to be proficient and even competitive, then I'd recommend the G27 if you plan to carry concealed.

However, if you can shoot the G27 beside the G23 and other guns you've shot, that would be really nice and a good investment.

I have not shot or handled the other guns you mentioned, so I'm only comparing between Glocks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My primary carry is a Glock 23...never failed me yet...touch wood!

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Of your choices...the Glock!:danceban::yup:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have shot all the guns on your list and own 2 of them. The sig p229 is a great gun, fits my small hands nicely, but is not a good ccw. The uspc however is a great ccw I like it so much more than the sig, it is the most reliable gun I've ever shot. The others are all good choices too.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts