Defensive Carry banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back from the range this morning. Ruger American Ranch 5.56 with Trijicon RMR. Wanted to see how well the rifle shoots before spending on an optic.

Early morning, 8 - 9 am, 24 degrees. Rifle was in the cold for an hour before shooting. Ammo was in the cold for an hour before shooting. Shooter was cold. Winchester Green Tip 5.56 was used.

During the latter shots at 50 yards and at 100 yards the sun was directly behind me. Significant glare on the target and the Trijicon RMR was washed out. Still with nearly 60 year old eyes this was the result, no magnification.

100 Yards...the only shots taken at that distance. String measures a hair over 2 inches.
Tree Art Gas Circle Automotive wheel system

50 Yards...glare was at the worst.
Circle Auto part Rim Composite material Audio equipment

The sight was significantly off paper to the left. About 20 - 24 inches. Took some time to figure it out at 25 yards. Once I did these were the strings and groups...
Dishware Automotive tire Circle Cookware and bakeware Automotive wheel system

Circle Font Grass Pattern Symbol

Sleeve Astronomical object Terrestrial plant Circle Art

So again, no magnification.

After this decided to try and find a Trijicon ACOG perhaps with a green triangle. Like the sight picture and with a little magnification those 50 and 100 yard groups will shrink down.

· Premium Member
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...about the rifle...

Glasses Jaw Vision care Smile Wheel

Great rifle, more capable than I am. One failure to chamber on a first round in mag. Sure the fault was mine, failure to fully seat. Everything else was perfect.

Recoil is more than the AR which is to be expected. The Linear Compensator didn't help with noise but the recoil impulse is straight back, no muzzle rise at all.

· Premium Member
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Measured the 100 yard group again. 1 3/4 inches.

· Premium Member
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered a Trijicon TA44 at deep discount. The TR24 is tempting but for the weight. The rifle is light and handy right now. Don't want to weigh it down too much.

The other alternative is just leave the Trijicon RMR Dual sight on the rifle. Light weight, rugged and durable. Like it so much might put one on the Ruger American Rimfire. Might finally retire the peep sights.

Shots are mostly 25 - 75 yards where I live. A few at 100 and likely 150 yards max. Lots of woods and fields with rolling hills and small clearings on heavily wooded mountains.

Will see if I can get the needed eye relieve with the TA44.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts