Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on Fox News yesterday and was wondering what my DC friends think about the prospect of removing suppressors from the NFA?

"Trump has said he intends to work with state and local governments to repeal gun-free zones, do away with the special tax on silencers, encourage expansion of conceal carry laws and carry out a host of other pro-gun industry initiatives. Advocates of gun control say such measures will put more people at risk of becoming victims of gun violence, but Trump and other Second Amendment stalwarts disagree."

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
There was a good bill in Congress this session to take silencers off the NFA, treat them like regular firearms (serialized, 4473 and NICS) - look up the Hearing Protection Act.
I'm sure if the leaders of Congress put the bill through again, Trump will sign it. But it's up to Congress.

Frankly, they shouldn't even be covered by NFA, they're just parts.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I never understood why silencers where on the restrictions list in the first place? In Illinois it is illegal to have one in the first place.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I never understood why silencers where on the restrictions list in the first place?
Yeah, we spend 15-20 years of our LIVES being told to "Quiet DOWN". Then when we finally get old enough to achieve a way to DO it, they restrict our ability and want us to pay big bucks for...the privilege? :blink:

What a shell game! :wink:

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Silencers will be first then I think AOW maybe SBS/SBR the real hope is he overturnes the Hughes Adment but that will be the biggest hurdle

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Silencer will be the easiest though ..There is already a bill on it ready to go with a good Rep backing And they are in wide use in countries the libreals like UK , NZ etc etc so it will be a easier sell its for the hunters , think of the childeren etc etc

Reactions: baren

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
much of the GCA of '34, which contained the silencer clause, needs to be reconsidered. But it could also open up a can of worms. That original $200 NFA tax stamp was considered prohibitively expensive in 1934. In today's dollars that would be around $3500 if they ever decided to update it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Not allowing suppressors is just as stupid as not allowing automatic knives, butterfly knives, nunchaku, shuriken, and any other thing that is "deadly", while anyone can walk around with a baseball bat in their hands.
How many crimes have been committed with a suppressed weapon that would have been committed REGARDLESS of the additional tax?
How many crimes have been committed with the other things in the above list? If any, how many would have been just as easily committed with something else?

The biggest problem with common sense is that it isn't.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Silencers will be first then I think AOW maybe SBS/SBR the real hope is he overturnes the Hughes Adment but that will be the biggest hurdle
I don't think the public is ready to swallow sawed off shotguns. The image of criminals swinging a sawed off side by side is a pretty convincing opposition.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
I think it'd be a very worthwhile accessory for anyone using it for HD. Or for practice that doesn't get anti gun neighbors panties all twisted up. Affordability would be my issue...

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
There is no downsides to owning a suppressor other than the wait and the tax stamp.

Fact of the matter is...once you start shooting with one, you no longer want to shoot anything without one.

I've had dozens of people tell me that if they could walk into my shop, plop down the money and walk out, they'd have one on every gun they own.

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
I don't think the public is ready to swallow sawed off shotguns. The image of criminals swinging a sawed off side by side is a pretty convincing opposition.
The Hearing Protection Act is about Silencers, not shotguns. It says nothing about sawed off shotguns. That would still be a 200 tax.

I made one yesterday. They are popular in this neck of the woods.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts