Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assumption of roommate was it seems prime error. We can never assume, however tempting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=fb21e555-d2a4-4070-926c-fbc0d534e391
Derry ? Four masked gunmen broke into a Franklin Street apartment around midnight today, injuring the resident before fleeing the scene empty-handed, Derry Police said.

The resident, Derek Waldron, 22, of 86 Franklin St., told police he heard someone jiggling the handle of the apartment door and assumed it was his roommate. When he opened the door the four individuals, three wearing ski masks and one wearing a bandanna over his face, forced themselves into the apartment, knocking Waldron to the ground, Derry Police Capt. Vernon Thomas said.

One of the gunmen then hit Waldron in the head with the butt of the handgun. When another suspect suggested that Waldron be duct-taped, Waldron scrambled to a neighboring apartment and called police, Thomas said.

The gunmen fled before police arrived. Nothing appeared to be missing, but Waldron pointed out that his safe was moved from its usual storage spot, Thomas said.

Waldron declined treatment for his minor injuries.

The matter remains under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call Derry Police at 432-6111.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
I always look out a side window to see who is at the door, even when I think I know who it is. The other night my wife was out shopping and got a call from her niece and her husband that they were in the area and would be stopping by. My wife called me to let me know so I was expecting a ring at the door. Even then, before unlocking the front door, I looked out the window and had my hand on my gun before I opened up. Better safe than sorry.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me too Joe but - I can think of many places where there is no side window - in those cases tho I guess, a spy hole in the door is adviseable.

That brings up actually another point - in a worst case situation, might BG's just be looking for the small tell-tale sign of movement behind a spy hole - before firing thru the door?? I'll bet it could happen and probably has.

On that score, with no side window etc - how best might folks check who is there, without direct exposure to incoming? I guess a small CCTV camera?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
P95 I saw a small black and white TV surveillance unit with a couple cameras at Menards for about $250 once. Simply standing to one side and asking who it is if nothing else is available to you is better than just opening up. I think most apartments have peep holes but if they don't, get one installed. Same goes with being in a hotel/motel room. I always have the extra lock on and check before opening. I don't want to seem paranoid but I think this is good comment sense caution. Last, if it's your roommate he should have a key, or call your name for help. Don't assume.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually have three small radio TV cameras set up around back yard - all feed to small monitor in my office building. These were from Circuit City but forget price - not too bad IIRC.

Anyone who approaches office from about any direction is, if not seen immediately - heard because motion detector induces a triple bleep at base station - and locks that particular camera for a while.

Back to peep-holes - for those who get one - I would (personally) fit them off center - so as to allow for less than full exposure behind door when using.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,134 Posts
i have a bunch of wireless x10 webcams i guess you would call them routed to my puter and just select the doorcam if someone arrives might not be for every one but i like the versitility , and i can take them mobile to record interviews , surveilance, ect with my laptop .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
P95Carry said:
That brings up actually another point - in a worst case situation, might BG's just be looking for the small tell-tale sign of movement behind a spy hole - before firing thru the door?? I'll bet it could happen and probably has.
I saw an interview with a former hit man and that is one of the techniques he said he used.

SSKC
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
143,825 Posts
That story sure could have had a much sadder ending.

Yes you can tell if somebody is looking OUT of a door peep hole.
Especially, after dusk & if the interior room is brightly lit.
When the peep hole goes dark...then there is a head and an eyeball right directly on the other side of it.:blink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Wow...next town over...I guess it can happen anywhere. I'll show this to my non-shooting fiancee. Maybe it'll rattle her like it did me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
if you must use a peep hole turn off the lights first.
the little cameras keep comming down in price. I think having a visable hardened camera may take you off the list of places to try. OR it might attract a rral optamist.
Always tried tojust have somuch in a layed security system that it is not worth the hassle and "they" will seek softer targets.
It sounds like you are working towards that too, with thecameras a good outer ring of defence.
Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,868 Posts
P95Carry said:
Assumption of roommate was it seems prime error. We can never assume, however tempting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=fb21e555-d2a4-4070-926c-fbc0d534e391

Bad area of Town Chris............that Street/Building is about 1/8 of a mile from the PD...Wouldn't be surprised if it were a "deal" gone bad, or similar.....Seems that Derry is becoming more and more active. We're in between the Ma and Salem NH lines.........and Manchester Nh. Two areas that have become crime areas.. Elements come across the State line, do their deeds......and go back to Ma..as well as back to manchester NH..That's why I always carry when I'm out and about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
CLASS3NH said:
Bad area of Town Chris............that Street/Building is about 1/8 of a mile from the PD...Wouldn't be surprised if it were a "deal" gone bad, or similar.....Seems that Derry is becoming more and more active. We're in between the Ma and Salem NH lines.........and Manchester Nh. Two areas that have become crime areas.. Elements come across the State line, do their deeds......and go back to Ma..as well as back to manchester NH..That's why I always carry when I'm out and about.
Not far from where I grew up. I remember when this was a nice quiet area out in the country. Used to travel that road a lot to my cousin's house.::mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts
I've been down in that area more times than I care to count and you don't want to see the insides of some of those houses or apartments. That being said, I think there is going to be a little more to this story then what you saw in the paper. If I have a chance to talk with some of the PD guys while on shift tomorrow, I'll see if I can get more info. I live on the other side of Derry towards Hampstead so I'm in a much better area, but I take nothing for granted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,868 Posts
gddyup said:
I've been down in that area more times than I care to count and you don't want to see the insides of some of those houses or apartments. That being said, I think there is going to be a little more to this story then what you saw in the paper. If I have a chance to talk with some of the PD guys while on shift tomorrow, I'll see if I can get more info. I live on the other side of Derry towards Hampstead so I'm in a much better area, but I take nothing for granted.
Gddy? hey how are you? I know that Capt. Vern would have much more info on that story...I'm sure it's on a "need to know" basis as well........Being a resident of the Town, (near South Range) and knowing enough about what goes on here... WE BOTH know there's way much more than the Newspaper is saying.. :yup:
East Derry huh? nice area too :yup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts
CLASS3NH said:
Gddy? hey how are you? I know that Capt. Vern would have much more info on that story...I'm sure it's on a "need to know" basis as well........Being a resident of the Town, (near South Range) and knowing enough about what goes on here... WE BOTH know there's way much more than the Newspaper is saying.. :yup:
East Derry huh? nice area too :yup:
I'm doing well Class. How bout yourself? :wave:

It just so happens that I work with the Police Chief's son at the FD so I can probably found out from him if there was anything "fishy" about that scenario. I *think* there might be but it is a somewhat "ner-do-well" part of town so anything could be the truth there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,868 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh you have the inside scoop LOL.........franklin st area is tough........never know what's ongoing down there...
ya know.........since all this stuff is coming out in our area, I find myself CCW all the time.... not unusual to see strange things ongoing in our Town recently......All that "element" coming up from 20 miles south of us..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts
CLASS3NH said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh you have the inside scoop LOL.........franklin st area is tough........never know what's ongoing down there...
ya know.........since all this stuff is coming out in our area, I find myself CCW all the time.... not unusual to see strange things ongoing in our Town recently......All that "element" coming up from 20 miles south of us..
There are a lot of drugs and "illicit" activities going on throughout downtown and towards the 93 area of town. More than I would have thought when I first moved here. I get the wonderful opportunity of dealing with some of these "wonderful people" and it never ceases to amaze me just how dangerous and seemingly hopeless some of these areas, and the people who inhabit them, have become.

I, like you, CCW everywhere when I go out. The only time my XD stays at home is when I am on-duty. The minute I get back home, on my hip she goes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,868 Posts
I, like you, CCW everywhere when I go out. The only time my XD stays at home is when I am on-duty. The minute I get back home, on my hip she goes![/QUOTE]

Well......If ya ever get the chance to travel up north.........I work at Kittery..........come up and say hello...........or send me a PM and I'll sit and have a coffee with ya..
BTW.........Thanks for helping to keep us a bit safer..... You "Fire Laddies' do a great job..:yup:
I have quite a few CCW to choose from.......Kimber Pro CDP, H&K USP Compact 40, Sigs.. Walthers, H&K P7 series.........and a lot more too...........Been carrying since I was 21...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Hard to believe this area has deteriorated so much over the years. I presume the invasion took place around or North of Folsom Rd?

What areas of Franklin Street are now "bad"?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top