Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into night sights for my pistol and came across some one stating that they had some how put a tritium sight on their snubbie revolver. I was wondering if any of you have done this or heard of this. If you have could you tell where you got this done or how you did it.

I think this would be a great addition to my .357 Snubbie if I could some how get this done.

I think that the S&W Nightguard come like this from the factory, but I don't have the money for a new gun at the moment....so adding it would be the next best thing.

Thanks....

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Yes, it can be done on some snubs'. I have a 642-P which comes with an adjustable drift front sight. I simply ordered a spare sight from S&W for around 10-11 bucks and then I sent off to Tool Tech. They drilled & tapped a tritium insert and that was it. It actually looks like it came from the factory.
Regards,

·
Registered
245 Posts
+1 on what Saber posted.

You can also check Champion Gun Sights to see if they have anything applicable and have an armor install it/them.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
It seems that Tooltech charges significantly more to install tritium in existing sights than it costs to buy new sights and have them installed...
Yes, that's very true. At the time I received mixed information regarding the pre-fab units so I opted for what I knew would work. Granted, I wouldn't do it again but it was an experiment of sorts. You see I’m not overly enthusiastic with softer alloy-framed guns, so I try and limit how much I’ll spend to enhance them.
Regards,

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
If the gun has a pinned sight it is very easy to just replace with a new sight ie XS Big Dot. I just bought a Smith and Wesson 340 and it comes standard with a Big Dot Tritium.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
IMO, the XS Big Dot is the best night sight you can get for a snubbie.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Fixed Sights

I have a Taurus 85UL stainless, concealed hammer w/fixed front ramp and rear notch sight cut/molded into the frame.

I saw this in an article, I think it was 'Combat Handguns', and copied it. I cleaned the sights very well with some alcohol.

I painted the face of the rear notch sight black. I used what I had (it's glossy). If doing again I would look for some flat black.

Then I painted the ramp of the front sight with a base of white, then my daughter's Wal-Mart brand nail polish "Orange Passion".

It is GOOD! :hand10:
Not night sights I know, but a much better sight picture than it was. I'll try and see if I can get a pic of it and post it Monday.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My 2 1/4" SP101 has a meprolight front night sight that I got from Brownells. I'm planning on getting the same sight for my 3" gun as well. It provides a nice, clean sight picture during the day and a great point of reference in the dark.

Given the price of adding a front night sight to milled sight S&W J-frames (as opposed to those pinned on), I decided to go with laser grips on my 37-2 instead of sending it off for night sight installation.

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
Wouldn't be a bad idea. I like night sights on all my SD weapons...great for six-decade old eyes.:hand10::yup:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I love the night sight on mt M&P 340 it almost makes it worth the extra money over a 642.
Agree, only negative IMO of 642, in the 340 vs 642, for most SD situation. However, I'm thinking the $300 saved could go toward laser, and you would still be $100 less than 340.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I've been researching this too for over a month. The options are limited and really the info out there is "mis-leading". first if the gun doesn't have a pinned front sight you're talking $300-$500 at lease once you pay for the sight, send it to a smith, have the work done and pay for the right home. The D&L sights shown above are the best of the best with nothing close to them but you'll pay as much for them as a new revolver. It's over $500 to get them w/night sight inserts plush shipping.

HOWEVER, if you have an all stainless gun and you're going to keep it for life and then pass it down in the family and can afford it, you'll end up with a true treasure. In my opinion it would be a waste of money to do this with an Airweight because the refinishing options are VERY limited for the frame of the airweights since it's aluminum alloy combined with stainless steel components.

Have a 642; add laser grips or leave it alone and save your money.

If you have something with a pinned front sight then it's easier but I don't think ANYONE who's actually changed a front sight on a J frame will say it's EASY! It's a pain (or it can be) to get the pin out and no matter what sight you buy you often have to do some fitting and you can easily mess the sight up or the gun. Typically you have to drill the new sight and if you mess that up while trying to do it with the new sight clamped in the gun you can ding up your barrel if you're not real careful.

Search the web and you'll find a guy who posted doing it on a 640 with an XS big dot.

They do have XS big dots that fit a 640 but you won't find them on line where you can just buy them, you have to call them and even then there can be some minor fitting required.

There are a number of gunsmiths who can put one on for you and I've talked with several but the cost will be more than a set of LG405 laser grips. So it's a hard choice.

I just bought a 640-1 .357. I'm tempted to try installing a night sight myself which means buying the right sized punch, some new pins, the new sight and a new drill bit. I'm just paranoid though about messing up the gun! Still I think a single night sight up front would be perfect.

I've debated about the LARGE XS big dot or the standard sized XS night sight, or some other regular sized night sight. I think i'd like the normal size sight because it still gives me the night sight i want but the smaller dot will fit the channel a bit better than the larger XS and I want to be able to line it up a tad easier than the larger dot might allow but it's hard to tell since i've never shot the large dot.

I'm determined to find a way to do this as I don't really want to start using lasers on any of my guns.

If I could afford it, I would send my 640 to a gun smith for a complete action job, then get the D&L sights with tritium inserts and then have the entire gun re-finished with a fine bead blast finish and it would be my special revolver for life!!

Good luck on the path you take!

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
I have two Colt snubs: Detective and Cobra. I've used orange nail-polish which gives some visibility, but they're old ramped sights part of the body; I like the guns a LOT and do a lot of point-shooting work.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
+1!

IMO, the XS Big Dot is the best night sight you can get for a snubbie.
Agreed. Don't sweat the rear sights either for a snubbie, you won't be that precise in the dark at any range. I'm probably going to go with the XS Big Dot on my Smith 642.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Try nitesighters.com,I put them on 3 of mine including c.a.bulldog
nitesiters.com

I put them on my Sigma. They have to be charged with a bright light or ultra-violet light before they are any good. When things go bump in the night you don't have time to charge them. I also put them on my other guns that didn't already have white dots.

The one I put on the front blade kept coming off as I carry IWB (warm&moist). I cleaned it over and over and put on another one with the same results.

Any ideas? I thought about covering it with some clear nail polish. Wonder if that would filter out the needed light to charge it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts