Defensive Carry banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I've got these on order for my HK p2000. I would get them for my p2000sk also, but it already have an XS Big Dot, which I also like.
My 1911 came with the Dawson front sight. The nice thing about Dawson vs some cheap fiber optics is the light tube is recessed into the sight so you don't get that annoying flare in bright sunlight.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
This is a great thread on sights. I will always read a sights thread to get everyone’s thoughts

I have Dawson Precision red FO on the front with Dawson black notch on the rear on 3 Glocks and a Smith

Dawson is a small company in Texas with exceptional sights and customer service.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I take quite a bit of LL classes, I do not like FO, they can be fragile, and also too much in direct sun unless it's the TFO's they do nothing at night; the original tfo's were not robust enough for a fighting gun, the newer ones may or may not be, but I will never use them again after my experiences with them.

I've moved to running a front tritium vial with no ring, just a naked vial that looks like an standard iron sight in daytime, with U notch blacked out rear.

Everyone's eyes work a bit different, you are going to need to experience a LL class to see what works best for you,(when I say class I'm referring to a fighting class, not a range exercise on a square range), including how various flashlight techniques work for you in regards to weapon manipulation and more importantly how the light causes distortion of your sight picture. I do not run a weapon mounted light on handguns, I do on long guns.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Have you seen fiber optic sights that are not used with tritium? I haven’t, but I haven’t seen every type of sight out there.
Yes, the majority of FO sights are only fiber optic only, no tritium.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Wilson-Vickers Combat sights trit. front, U blacked out rear, are what I am slowly switching all my working guns over too.

The front is narrow enough for precision at distance/U is wide enough to show light on the sides of the front.

My Cadre love to throw in that long distance shot from cover/concealment in scenarios. Always remember you do not get to pick the fight as the good guy, you are going to be reacting to a threat, so you had better be able to do it all with what you have.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
One more older guy that finds black rears and narrow gold bead to be about as good as possible till its pretty near dark , then I need a flash light to see with and thats when many may find out even a black front sight is easily visible when a forward view as lighted but a no color ring tritium is what was a the first night sights offered but very hard to find today for most handguns but so is a gold bead . Today you have jumbo color rings in all several colors and many can be distracting . Hey we all have our own preferred sight styles . MY eyes are bad enough now I thankful of all those years of flash sight picture defensive drills and todays long battery life modern dot optics !! Buy what you think you will like . You will figure it out over a few decades whats best !

I had a 10" ruger 44mag SBH a life time ago that had a small gold bead on a post like some rifle had . Lay down and shoot it creedmoor style and bowling pins out to 150 yards were in trouble . MY commander has wears a thin gold bead now too . Some other pistol wear a dot of testers gold met paint #1144

·
Registered
90 Posts
FO break alot,esp on Springfields they crack in half
NS are all I buy
I had a Springfield XD 40 mod.2 and now a XDS 9 mod.2 ,both with fiber optic sights, and have never had a problem with the sights breaking.My Colt Competition 45 has FO sights and so far no problem ,but granted I have not had it long and only shot about 150 rounds through it.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I had a Springfield XD 40 mod.2 and now a XDS 9 mod.2 ,both with fiber optic sights, and have never had a problem with the sights breaking.My Colt Competition 45 has FO sights and so far no problem ,but granted I have not had it long and only shot about 150 rounds through it.
Same here, and that's my competition guns used in IDPA & 3Gun. I've yet to break a FO rod in thousands upon thousands of rounds.

I pretty much run all Dawson FOs, with plain black rears for my match guns. My defensive pistols get Trijicon HDs, with the bright orange front and plain non-outlined rear vials. Both have plenty of daylight around the front sight. I find that set up helps my find the front, and isn't distracting.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Three night sights I like: Trijicon HD, Truglo TFO, XS Big Dot
With the TFO I get green front yellow rear for contrast, that way regardless of which of the three sights, the front stands out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quality night sight sets are the way to go for serious-use handguns. If for some reason it were impossible to keep quality night sights on a carry handgun, a gold bead front would be my second choice.

Fiber optic, paint jobs, tfo and the rest, are fine for the rest of the things people do with handguns.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
One more older guy that finds black rears and narrow gold bead to be about as good as possible till its pretty near dark , then I need a flash light to see with and thats when many may find out even a black front sight is easily visible when a forward view as lighted but a no color ring tritium is what was a the first night sights offered but very hard to find today for most handguns but so is a gold bead . Today you have jumbo color rings in all several colors and many can be distracting . Hey we all have our own preferred sight styles . MY eyes are bad enough now I thankful of all those years of flash sight picture defensive drills and todays long battery life modern dot optics !! Buy what you think you will like . You will figure it out over a few decades whats best !

I had a 10" ruger 44mag SBH a life time ago that had a small gold bead on a post like some rifle had . Lay down and shoot it creedmoor style and bowling pins out to 150 yards were in trouble . MY commander has wears a thin gold bead now too . Some other pistol wear a dot of testers gold met paint #1144
Vickers Battle Sights, have a naked tritium vial and they offer a sweet gold bead as well. I'm thinking the GB is going to my G43 that I never carry.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
How do you use your guns?

If they are range guns and EDC you wouldn't break anything. If you are running them in fighting classes, everything breaks. I had a CQB drill recently where my gun malfunctioned and became a striking weapon out of necessity, when I was able to create distance, got the gun back up to take a shot, there was no longer a front sight on the G17.5.

·
Registered
90 Posts
How do you use your guns?

If they are range guns and EDC you wouldn't break anything. If you are running them in fighting classes, everything breaks. I had a CQB drill recently where my gun malfunctioned and became a striking weapon out of necessity, when I was able to create distance, got the gun back up to take a shot, there was no longer a front sight on the G17.5.
I mainly use them for range and EDC like you said,but there are quite a few serious competition shooters including 3 gun shooters that use fiber optic sights.Because these competitions are
outdoors,the FO sights are easy to see and pick up fast on target.And to your point about breaking,if the rod breaks and falls out ,there is still the hole that can be used like a dot if the lighting is good enough.Granted, this would not work in dimly lit drills .As for night sights,there has been plenty of cases of the tritium inserts falling out.My friend had one fall out of his trijicons at the range recently and ended up with a black front sight. That being said,if I ever change my sights out,I will probably go to a "combo"fiber optic center with a ring such as
https://www.truglo.com/firearms-handgun/brite-site-tfx-pro-handgun-sights.asp?catid=E5FDB84FE8F74C239330C1841BDD3D5E for the front sight.

Sights are like a lot of accessories on or about our guns.Each person has a different want/need as far as vision,physical ability and just cosmetics.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I mainly use them for range and EDC like you said,but there are quite a few serious competition shooters including 3 gun shooters that use fiber optic sights.Because these competitions are
outdoors,the FO sights are easy to see and pick up fast on target.And to your point about breaking,if the rod breaks and falls out ,there is still the hole that can be used like a dot if the lighting is good enough.Granted, this would not work in dimly lit drills .As for night sights,there has been plenty of cases of the tritium inserts falling out.My friend had one fall out of his trijicons at the range recently and ended up with a black front sight. That being said,if I ever change my sights out,I will probably go to a "combo"fiber optic center with a ring such as
https://www.truglo.com/firearms-handgun/brite-site-tfx-pro-handgun-sights.asp?catid=E5FDB84FE8F74C239330C1841BDD3D5E for the front sight.

Sights are like a lot of accessories on or about our guns.Each person has a different want/need as far as vision,physical ability and just cosmetics.
Agreed, it all comes down to what your eye sees best to make the hit.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts