Votes: 35 79.5%
  • Waste of money

Votes: 9 20.5%
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some thinking about night sites and started doing a bit of research. And what I've found is that the Quote EXPERTS on the subject vary from one extreme to the other. But I want to narrow this down to relatable usage by the average guy (or gal). Yes... You and I.. Civilians, those that may carry every day, those that just shoot as a hobby. This isn't for LEO's or active duty Military people.. They have their own forums and resources to work with... This is just about us regular people.

So, with all that being said. Between my 40+ years of shooting handguns, several self defense classes, security training and of course instructor training my vote is a pretty solid NO. I think night sights are overall a waste of money. I have never found them to be any tactical use. If you have enough light to see your target then your pretty much going to have enough light to use your sights. If it's to dark to see your target then sights aren't going to do you much good either. If your utilizing external lighting (flashlight) then you should have enough to see your sights.... To me a couple of glowing dots in the dark does nothing when you can't see the target....

What say you...

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
For me, a waste of money. I've never found them to be so bright that I can acquire them quickly in low light. For threat focused, rapid shooting I have found them to be of no value.

I have a Sig P229 Extreme that I purchased 9 years ago that is a stash gun readied for home defense use. The sights are now much dimmer (the half life is 12.3 years, which means in 12.3 years the sights will be at 50% original illumination).

Now, for night sights, when they go I put a dab of JB weld to smooth out the indentation and then paint the dab white with appliance paint.

They are neat, and I suppose if I were doing target shooting in low light, uh, okay. But that's about it.

·
Registered
12,758 Posts
I took an Advanced Low Light shooting class. The instructor told us right off that if we didn't have night sights, we were going to have trouble in the course and he was right. We got into some heavy-duty drills: No light situations, meaning pure darkness with no flashlight, moving targets in low light, moving shooter in low light, etc. I found night sights indispensable, along with a good handheld flashlight.

One interesting thing they did is turn the blowers off on the range, so we could experience gunsmoke in low light. It is downright disorienting. The more solid references you can have, like sights you can see, the better.

On the other hand, I did not find a laser or a GML all that useful.

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
I like the night sights. I seem to be able to quickly line up my front and rear sights faster in the low light than without.
Also in the pitch black of my bedroom the glow of the sights has helped me find and get a hand on my pistol quicker when I hear the bump in the night.
Before I had them on I would fumble to where I thought my weapon was.
So I like them for a number of reasons.
And really, how much more expensive in the grand scheme of things are they compared to regular sights considering the kind of money we spend on our pistols.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
I like night sights. As mentioned above in low light situations they can be quicker to pick up.

·
Premium Member
38,349 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Night sights came into common use after my retirement from law enforcement so my experiences have been as a civilian user.

Generally, I like the tritium night sights on my Kimber Custom CDP .45. Useful under any and all lighting conditions.

There is one possible problem with night sights, especially when they remain highly functional (bright). They are very visible. My wife woke me up one night because of the two bright green dots on the closet shelf. I stopped in my club one evening, light colored sport shirt over my holstered pistol, and two people asked me what those bright green lights were that could be seen through my shirt.

Reminds me using tracer ammunition in combat in Vietnam; you can see where it goes, but they can see where it is coming from.

Maybe not a huge concern for most folks, but one that I had never considered before it happened to me.

·
Registered
15,261 Posts
The poll is far to simplistic. I voted useful because they do have a place. I just do not see it as a game changer for most situations. When I was working on the SW border and you may be in complete darkness shooting back at muzzle flashes in the dark they are useful. For urban SD or HD if it is too dark to ID your target it is too dark to shoot.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I like night sights, especially on my Glocks. I feel that I am better able to get a good sight picture quicker with my old eyes than with the standard Glock sights I have on my G30SF. With that being said, the best, for target shooting, is, IMO, a fluorescent red ramp on the front, and white lining the notch on the rear sight. Dad did that to the Python, and it really makes acquisition of a sight picture easy.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Depends on how often you shoot in the dark, I suppose. I put night sights on my VP9 years ago but I rarely practice in the dark and am rarely out after dark.

I added a Holosun green dot over a year ago and it works regardless of lighting conditions. If I can't make out the target - where I live and in my house it's never that dark anyway - I couldn't see the sights anyway and have no business shooting at something I can't see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
Stopped putting night sights on guns a while ago. No significant value.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
The poll is far to simplistic. I voted useful because they do have a place. I just do not see it as a game changer for most situations. When I was working on the SW border and you may be in complete darkness shooting back at muzzle flashes in the dark they are useful. For urban SD or HD if it is too dark to ID your target it is too dark to shoot.
this is true, but the night sights aren’t there to help you see the target. They are there to help you see the sights. If you can’t see your target that’s a separate issue that needs to be fixed.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
That's my view. I'm sure they have a place for LEO or MIL, but they seem to be of limited utility for the civvie.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Night sights... YES.
I will take any advantage that I can get.

The ones on my M11-A1 were the first for me.
Walked around the house the first night and was very impressed.
Didn't know what I had been missing.
Now, I don't want to be without them.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
21,350 Posts
I am retired and do not go to completely dark places at night or clear buildings. We rarely go out at night. If we do go out, it may be to a restaurant with low light and street lights along the way.

There is a street light between our house and the neighbors house. I have automatic night lights in every room of our house. It is just me, my wife, and the dogs.

My 1911 and my wife's Sig P938 are on top of our nightstands. The first best use of night sights is to see you gun as you reach for it. Once I determine where my wife is, the night sights are great in low light around the house. Any shadowy figure will be dealing with the dogs and me with an advantage of night sights.

·
Registered
15,261 Posts
this is true, but the night sights aren’t there to help you see the target. They are there to help you see the sights. If you can’t see your target that’s a separate issue that needs to be fixed.
True, but the two are parts of the same equation.

·
Registered
20,981 Posts
I voted for useful, even though I no longer run them. There are situations where they could, and do, come in handy.

I do not run them on my carry guns because I practice on a semi regular basis using a hand held and standard sights during varying degrees of light from dusk till dark, so I have worked out my own solutions……which is the important part whether you have them or not.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I prefer to use my edc handheld flashlight when I need help with my sight picture and or sight alignment.

I practice (shoot) one handed 98% of the time anyway, so it's no problem. I also incorporate my flashlight into some of my night time dryfire drills and it works fine for me.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
21,350 Posts
Each room of our home has two to three flashlights. Each vehicle has two to three flashlights.

Reactions: j102 and G26Raven
1 - 20 of 85 Posts