• Useful

Votes: 35 79.5%
  • Waste of money

Votes: 9 20.5%
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I vote useful. One big advantage as mentioned above is knowing exactly where your gun is in the pitch black of your bedroom.

·
Registered
43,674 Posts
My Mk-25 has night sights. Of course they're so dim one would need to light a match to see if they are glowing. No interest in replacing them on my end.

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
372 Posts
They help me considerably in "low light" conditions. I prefer the tritium /FO sights. In CQB situations I generally don't even use my sights, but at further distances they are indispensable for accuracy in "low light". If it's "pitch black" and I can't identify my target, I'd rather have them for alignment just in case.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I've shot at night before, my carry guns have night sights.

I speculate majority of those that think night sights unnecessary likely carry a gun not conducive to night sights anyway (LCP 380/38 snub) - there be exceptions, but generalization probably aint wrong.

Reactions: ctr

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
I found a 2010 article by Dan Chamberlain, a LEO, testing night sights. He set up an admittedly unscientific test with him and two other LEOs, using Glocks that were identical, except one had 3-dot sights and the other had night sights. He went into the test being anti-night sights, but he wanted to test his assumptions. They shot in low light, at 10 yards.

What he found was to the "time to first shot" was virtually the same with both sighting systems. However, the groups for the night sight guns averaged 4.5 inches, whereas the regular sighted guns averaged 8.25 inches. And with the night sights, all the rounds hit the target. The regular sighted guns had three fliers that missed entirely. Again, not scientific, but interesting.

·
Registered
11,313 Posts
The Tru Glo TFX are excellent. Fiber optic for daytime, white ring for dim light, and tritium for low/no light. You can get different colors front/rear so you don't get the dots mixed up.

Reactions: LimaCharlie

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I use the glow on paint on my front sights only. Yes you have to charge for a few secs, not an issue. I don't use flashlights except at the moment its needed. I work in the dark and need to
know where my muzzle is. I've never taken any classes for low light but every now and then I practice room clearing in my house in pitch blackness, top floor, mid floor to basement and on out to the back yard.
I have had to clear my back yard in a winter no moon, no lights and I found it quite useful. Plus it's dirt cheap and works as advertised. I've put it on all my handguns. I found that painting the rear sights is more of a distraction and takes away from the overall sight picture.

Reactions: BamaT

·
Registered
372 Posts
"The Tru Glo TFX are excellent. Fiber optic for daytime, white ring for dim light, and tritium for low/no light. You can get different colors front/rear so you don't get the dots mixed up."

^^^These are very versatile sights.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Perhaps we can elaborate on usage. What is the scenario? Low light, aimed shooting? With the luxury of time to line up the sights? Yes, I seen an advantage.

An assailant coming at you from five yards, or a charging pitbull from across the street when you are out for an evening stroll? I just don't see how a night sight will help all that much.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
True, but the two are parts of the same equation.
It is. Some people think that it’s a flashlight or night sights question. Some situations a flashlight makes more sense, some night sights make more sense. I figure having the option of both you can’t go wrong. Plus, for me the trijicon sights I use are quicker to pick up during the day than the factory glock sights, so it was nothing to add the option of night sights anyway, even if their practicality is limited.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I dont see a down side to night sights. Good ones.

If they are needed, you will be glad you have them. If not, its like insurance. Good to have just in case, and it doesn’t hurt your day time shooting.

As much money as we all spend on ammo, and guns, the cost isn’t that big a deal. Don’t get me wrong, back in my college days I couldn’t afford squat, and yeah buddy, the cost would have been a deal breaker. But I figure that the OP wouldnt have asked if the cost of night sights was a deal breaker.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Not a requirement for me but I do find them extremely useful. As a LEO I train with a department issued Glock 21 with night sights. I use similar night sights on my personal carry guns to keep the two as similar as I can.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I can take them or leave them. If they came on the gun I won't spend money to take them off and vice/versa. I prefer a blacked out rear and a bright front dot.

Reactions: rlggray

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I didn't vote. I like night sights. But the only way I'm going to know if they are truly useful is to have to use them in a defensive situation which I have yet to encounter. And I hope I never do. I would not spend additional money on them for a range toy, but for carry guns I prefer those that come with night sights as standard equipment.

·
Registered
673 Posts
As others have noted, night sites are for seeing your sites and a flash light is for seeing your target. I reckon most if not a significantly high percentage of crimes happen at night in low light situations. In low light situations your target can be illuminated while your sights are invisible. You don't have to clear rooms, be an "operator", or be L.E. to find value in seeing your sights before taking a shot.

I put night sights on all my carry guns.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Perhaps we can elaborate on usage. What is the scenario? Low light, aimed shooting? With the luxury of time to line up the sights? Yes, I seen an advantage.

An assailant coming at you from five yards, or a charging pitbull from across the street when you are out for an evening stroll? I just don't see how a night sight will help all that much.
So in defensive situations, you beleive all sights are basically useless no matter what configuration they come in? That's basically what I hear some saying.

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
I took an Advanced Low Light shooting class. The instructor told us right off that if we didn't have night sights, we were going to have trouble in the course and he was right. We got into some heavy-duty drills: No light situations, meaning pure darkness with no flashlight, moving targets in low light, moving shooter in low light, etc. I found night sights indispensable, along with a good handheld flashlight.

One interesting thing they did is turn the blowers off on the range, so we could experience gunsmoke in low light. It is downright disorienting. The more solid references you can have, like sights you can see, the better.

On the other hand, I did not find a laser or a GML all that useful.
I took my low-light classes at TDI, where instructor opinions on night sights varied a great deal. Ultimately, it all becomes a matter of opinion based on experience. For me, a hundred dollar flashlight is much more indispensable than a hundred dollar set of very (if any) limited-application night sights. My factory sights performed quite adequately in the scenarios we ran.

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
this is true, but the night sights aren’t there to help you see the target. They are there to help you see the sights. If you can’t see your target that’s a separate issue that needs to be fixed.
Generally, if I can see my target well enough to shoot, I can see my sights well enough to shoot.

·
Registered
20,959 Posts
9:25 PM low light

Later in the evening, no light but using Fenix E12 pocket light.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
So in defensive situations, you beleive all sights are basically useless no matter what configuration they come in? That's basically what I hear some saying.
No, that is not what I am saying.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts