• Useful

Votes: 35 79.5%
  • Waste of money

Votes: 9 20.5%
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
I figured out the dangers real quick in 1989 when my company lost a Marine that went in alone…
I have no words...

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I can take it or leave it. I do not seek out night sights but I do have a glock that came with them installed. Realistically speaking, I am not likely to use or even need the sights (period) in most circumstances. Sure, I want sights on my gun but I am not in the least concerned with night sights. I am not one who imagines a traditional site picture or customary shooting stance to be likely in the majority of circumstances where a citizen would need to use their gun. Dont get me wrong, I will be aiming but it would probably be more like point shooting or simply indexing the front of the gun onto the target.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
Not a tactial ranger though I play one on TV .... For some guns I dont care for some I will pay more for nigh sights .

Glocks will always go for the night sights esp the very nice agent amerglows ..The stocks sights are trash imop
Org 92 will pay more for a model that is either the Police model or aftermarket drilled for night sights as the org were not fun to night sights

I like the newer style of night sights ..The old basic ( ie glock style ) 3 faint dots dont do much for me ..But Sig xray and the newer amerglow sights are very nice for shooting day or night and imop for me do help with lining it all up ...

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
I’m sorry, but I think that is BS feel good training, not training to survive.
If you were training to survive, they would have you place you butt in the corner of a wall and wait for the BG to come to you.
Running lights and searching work fine as a team operation, but not as an individual endeavor.

Yes, using your muzzle flash to illuminate is an old technique called Flash-Fire. But where are those rounds going while you are shooting to illuminate the target?

Bad ju-ju.
You're probably right, but a lot of open enrollment training offered today is "BS feel good training." If you take that away, the gun training industry would probably collapse. If all training were realistic, you would do 3/3/3 over and over until you mastered it and slowly work up from there. But no one would sign up.

That course was a lot of fun and provided some challenging shooting, but I doubt I would actually ever use those techniques. But I'm glad I did it. In a real no-light situation, I would probably do as you suggest. As I said, the flash-fire was not presented as a recommenation, just an experience. It was pretty amazing. I would not have thought it possible.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
If its so dark that you cant see your sights, you cant see your attacker. If youre at a distance that you need to use sights (outside of a few yards) and its so dark you cant see who is doing some activity, you shouldnt be pulling the trigger. If you need aid to shoot in low or no light, you need a flashlight, either weapon mounted or handheld.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
If its so dark that you cant see your sights, you cant see your attacker. If youre at a distance that you need to use sights (outside of a few yards) and its so dark you cant see who is doing some activity, you shouldnt be pulling the trigger. If you need aid to shoot in low or no light, you need a flashlight, either weapon mounted or handheld.
Depending on the flashlight hold and how dark the attackers clothes are, it is possible to see the attacker clearly, but still not see the sights against that background.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Depending on the flashlight hold and how dark the attackers clothes are, it is possible to see the attacker clearly, but still not see the sights against that background.
Sure, its possible, but once you hit them with light, theres no way you are seeing any tritium on your sights. I have a Surefire X300 on my Glock and when you hit something with the light in a low-light setting, the sights just black out.

·
Registered
20,960 Posts
I do believe there are certain situations where you can see your target but not the sights….however narrow that situation may be in the overall possibility of things.
I don’t feel that they are all that necessary for my uses, but there is certainly nothing wrong with having the option.

When I use to run night sights I preferred a front sight only with a blacked out rear, cause one dot is all I want to worry about in that situation.

Reactions: OD* and Tundra5.7

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Sure, its possible, but once you hit them with light, theres no way you are seeing any tritium on your sights. I have a Surefire X300 on my Glock and when you hit something with the light in a low-light setting, the sights just black out.
That has not been my experience.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
So in defensive situations, you beleive all sights are basically useless no matter what configuration they come in? That's basically what I hear some saying.
Yea, like a question asking for clarification as being an assertion maybe?
I did not take your declarative statement as a question even with the question mark.

However, now that you have made it clear you were asking for clarification - For me, for close range I expect a self defense shootings will be threat focused. I have done a lot of threat focused shooting; I am not focused on the front sight, but the front sight is within my vision and it is used for aiming. Crude aiming - center mass, pie plate goal. We're not talking lining up for 20 yard shots; focus on the threat, seeing the sight come up, and pulling the trigger. Usually in less than 1.5 seconds from the appendix holster. My 637 J frame just has crude revolver sights, but the little nub on the barrel gets the job done. My lightweight Defender 9mm, I rely more on the white periphery than the night sight.

I have some guns that came with night sights - but for me, it must be quite dark before I can easily discern them, and I have never found them to be bright enough for extremely fast acquisition. Sig 229, SW 640 Pro, Defender Combat Elites- even when new, I found the sights to be unimpressive. Perhaps it is just my eyes, I do not know.

I have another Defender, a Combat Elite, in which the front night sight broke. I replaced it, but that one broke, too, so I put JB weld in the hole, made an indent, and painted the round plug white with appliance paint. I actually liked the white dot better than the night sight.

So while they may work for some, they do not work for me. For me, a night sight does not come into play unless it is extremely dark; but then the acquisition time (for me) is so slow that if I rely on them, the assailant will be on me, or get the first shot off.

If they work for you, that's great. Maybe you have more cones or rods or whatever the human eye needs to quickly acquire the dim light of the night sight. The only time they work for me in darkness is if I have the luxury of ample time.

Reactions: APX-9M

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
i can take them or leave them........they are not a deal breaker when i am buying a gun.

i am not going to spend xtra money to purchase and spend more again to have them installed.....

yes, they are nice.....so is brite paint, fiber optics, and the latest craze.....those micro dots.

but if the light is that bad, i am going to be seeking cover. And i sure want to be able to identify the threat.......and if close enough i will rely on point shooting.....no sights required.

the last night sight gun i had was the duty sig 226......i thought the night sights slowed me down and put too much concentration on the sights and not the threat.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I like my tritium night sights, even in the daytime. I can aim quicker with them. Never tried them at night, not for shooting. If I have a shadow, but confirmed intruder (only wife and myself in the apartment) I can put the glowing dot on the intruder. As for Retired Badge's complaint, I only have the tritium front sight as I don't really use the rear sights, so I wouldn't have his issues with the "snake eyes."

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
I do not fit into “the normal category”, by any way you measure, I’m used to it, I’ll stil post my thoughts.

I prefer a front tritium and blacked out rear. There are situations where the target is lit enough for pid, but the gun/sights are in darkness. I’ve run into that several times in low light course scenarios, once shooting under a vehicle. Using a handheld light through the various holds, some illuminate the sights with splash, others don’t; there are times a tritium sight is needed.

Just my experiences. spill from a handheld light on my sights really make me see wacky, especially from FBI and lesser extent neck index because the light is more directly behind the rear sight. It’ll look like a good center hold to my eye, but it won’t be.
Good reason to train low light. Finding out your eyes work weird on iron sights when a flashlight is involved during a gunfight would be a bad night.
low light we did one St. Patty’s Day night in frigid weather (Jameson didn’t get popped until guns were secured) Oreos still around, someone got a demerit for bringing the vanilla ones.

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
When I'm running my handgun and hand-held light in tandem, the light is beneath the gun, not behind it. Different strokes.
Harries works best for me, but I’ll use everything but Chapman/Rogers to shoot from. I hate Rogers.

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
Harries works best for me, but I’ll use everything but Chapman/Rogers to shoot from. I hate Rogers.
Here's a pic I posted of my grip back in 2014. It has become a bit more refined since then, but you get the idea:

flashlight grip 003.JPG

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
In the class I took, they had us try all the major flashlight grips and pointed out possible pros and cons with each, but they made no recommendation. They said the one that works best for you is the one you should use. I thought was a good way to do it. I wound up liking the Harries grip: (not a picture of me)
harries grip.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
In the class I took, they had us try all the major flashlight grips and pointed out possible pros and cons with each, but they made no recommendation. They said the one that works best for you is the one you should use. I thought was a good way to do it. I wound up liking the Harries grip: (not a picture of me)
View attachment 360330
Strange, I've always pictured you with a mohawk look.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts