Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have night sights installed on your guns? What are your feelings on practicality for concealed carry pieces? What brand/style do you prefer. I'm shopping around for a set. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I have night sights on all of my Glocks. The only reason is that I can carry them on the job. Now for the "BUG", I do not. No reason for them on a point and shoot gun.

Frankmako

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I have Trijicon night sights (as installed by SIG) on both 226 carry and 228. Both those and the 220 all also have CT grips.

I like night sights for that situation where dark, is really dark - and the combination of the two I feel gives me a potential edge.

All that said - I doubt in most ''situations'' we will actually even have time for conventional sighting - things happen too danged fast! Most important is aquiring the piece thru a draw that gives instant and instinctive pointabiliy.

Sight use could well be a luxury!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points, Chris.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
I USE TRIJICONS, MEPROLITES, AND TRUE DOT NIGHT SIGHTS. THEY ALL WORK WELL. opps......sorry for the caps.....

·
Registered
304 Posts
I use XS Big Dots. I don't shoot for accuracy so I don't need regular night sights. 87% of all shootings happen within 5 feet anyways. Big Dots are the only ones that make sense to me for CCW

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
My P226 has the Factory SigLites , they are nice

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm saving for a set of the XS 24/7 Express sights for my 226. It really does make front sight acquisition faster and more certain in low-light conditions, at least for me. The sight picture is also similar to the factory sights I've been training with. I test shot with and without at the local range, and I found the XS sight picture much faster to line up than the three dot, but that's just me.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The Kimber has factory installed night sights (so I don't know what ones they used) and my USP has Trijicon night sights.

The reason that I bought Trijicon is because it was a deal I couldn't pass up. I got 50% off the price due to I won a drawing they were having.

So a pair of Trijicon night sights for 49.00, my choice of gun model.

I like them and I can pick up the sights faster at night. Also, it's nice to look over at the gun and see it "looking" back at you.

Wayne

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
I had a set of Trijicon's installed on one of my 1911s almost 19yrs ago now, and I put a Trijicon front post on the M4gery. I will always have at least one handgun with them.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
SanduneCC said:
Ameriglo Operator on my G19. Love it over the Trijicon I used to own.
The Operator Tritium night sights are made by Trijicon for Ameriglo, only without white outlines on the rear, correct?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have Meprolite on my Kimber, the same (I believe) on the Para Tac Four, and just purchased a used Glock .40 and had Trijicon Ghost Ring sights installed on it. My first experience shooting the Glock with the GR, the rounds impacted high and left. Re-adjusted the sight picture and then was dead on at 15m. The Colt Commander is getting a set for Christmas (shh!!! it's a surprise!)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wayne said:
The Kimber has factory installed night sights (so I don't know what ones they used) and my USP has Trijicon night sights.

The reason that I bought Trijicon is because it was a deal I couldn't pass up. I got 50% off the price due to I won a drawing they were having.

So a pair of Trijicon night sights for 49.00, my choice of gun model.

I like them and I can pick up the sights faster at night. Also, it's nice to look over at the gun and see it "looking" back at you.

Wayne

Kimber uses Meprolite Nite Sights. My Pro Tactical has them and I love them!:congrats:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have Mepro's on my Glock, Trijicon's on my Beretta, and the Siglite's on my 229. I think the Mepros are larger and brighter than the other two, which I like for the front site, but would prefer smaller and darker or different color for the rear. They all work well. The latest issue of Handguns magazine has a good article on night sites.

·
Registered
612 Posts
No on night sights

I finished a night class in the use of flashlights and shooting. This class taught me a great deal about using flashlights and also instinctive shooting without sights. One of the things we also did as a class was to watch other students come into the room with their flashlight to see how easy it would be to be the BG and pick them off. One thing we found was that the guys with the night sights, glowed so much we could watch them walk through the room without them having to use a flashlight. After seeing that, no night sights for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just installed a set of Ameriglo "Smooth Slopes", which are made by trijicon, on my glock 19 and I like them very much. I have a Meprolight front sight for my Ruger SP101, unfortunately the gun is at the factory so I haven't really gotten to form an opinion on it yet.
The Ameriglos were easy to install, no sight pusher needed, and I believe once zeroed in and a little locktite applied to the rear allen screws they should stay in place just fine.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Justin said:
I use XS Big Dots. I don't shoot for accuracy so I don't need regular night sights. 87% of all shootings happen within 5 feet anyways. Big Dots are the only ones that make sense to me for CCW
Like Bud, I prefer Trijicon or people that use their tubes.

Justin, not to be nosey, but where did you get that 87% 5' number from??

1 - 20 of 51 Posts