Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who uses it? Is this a serious topic for a home defense discussion? It would seem to me to be more effective than a flashlight.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
State of the art night vision will cost you too much. Besides....all of the systems have their drawbacks and weak points. Pros and cons. Even if you can afford it....the best night vision optics available today see their best use with our military in flying machines, and helping them discern friend from foe. Night vision optics also include you giving up some of your basic human instincts and senses. Peripheral vision for one. I remember the Starlight scopes and the AN/PVS 4 and how you could be blinded or washed out by someone lighting a match in total darkness, and how you couldn't expose them to daylight use as a scope or destroy them. Technology may have come a long way since then, but I still believe we should depend more upon ourselves than the aids we engineer for what purpose? The more aids we create means the more we are lacking. Of course in the technology age.......everything is cool. Whether it actually helps us or not is up to conjecture.
Night vision for frog giggin? That would be okay.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Personally, I dont have an use for it outside of scouting for deer, elk ... etc. It's too expensive to just sit in my closet.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I think they probably have a fairly limited place in civilian use outside of public safety sector.

For example, night vision optics can be of limited use in night time search and rescue operations extending periods people can work. Most routine search operations are suspended at night because of the hazards. However, if say you had a river, swift water or flood rescue operation going on where there was immediate threat to loss of life, they may again have some limited use.

When I worked a major flood in Missouri once, we got to play around with some which belonged to the National Guard. They were cool and fun to use, but I didn't exactly see where they were indispensable.

For regular people, I think they are more of a play toy of the rich or those who don't have a better use of their money.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you have the money to blow, then go for it.

If you are certain that you're going to be in deep *doo*doo at night, then a monocular 1x magnification would be very useful.

I considered the night vision options from Tactical Night Vision, but I'll let my inner kung-fu do the work until I win the Lotto.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Somebody hits you with a light and it will shut off for a few seconds long enough to be shot before you can react

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
I use it on a suppressed rifle to hunt coyotes.
Works great. No one knows what happened but me and the coyote.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Now that would be a good use for Night Vision.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Coyote. It's what's for dinner!

I would love to have both a suppressor and NV gear for just that reason, though I can't imagine it would suppress my 30.06 much.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Not trying to make light of your topic - but toy section of my local WalMart carries the "EyeClops" night vision thingie. About $50. Doesn't mag light but does use infrared light with it's monoviewer. Might help in dark house to see without being seen.
EyeClops
Click on the nightvision icon at top slightly right of screen.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
If you're looking for the good stuff check out the Gen 3 nvg's.

You will also need your big account check book too.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I believe there is a place for night vision for home SD. At my family's acreage we have a pair of night vision binoculars. Mostly for viewing critters. However, we have used them once to monitor a questionable group who was walking along the road and stopped in front of the house very late at night. Was a good way of keping an eye on them without letting on.

They keep looking toward the house / cars. Don't think they noticed us in an upstairs window. He have several flood lights and we played a card and turned on the one that was aimed at them. They quickly ducked down, so we just turned on every outside light and gave them a quick blast of the siren. They took off down the road, got into a car, and took off. We called LE.

So now my family sounds crazy, night vision, flood lights every where, and an old police siren. However, there is a lot to be said for each of those items. The siren was a replacement for a bell that was used (back when it was a farm) to call people in for meals but also as a warning if something was wrong at the house. Was a good idea then, and we figure now.

It is possible it was someone we knew thinking about playing a friendly prank (there was a rumor that was the case), but no troubles (friendly or otherwise) since.

So in summary, out in the country, I think there is a value for night vision SD. Closer to city living, assuming the power is not out, I would just hit the lights or get motion lights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts