Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading some material by Ida B. Wells, the nineteenth-century feminist and black activist. Specifically, I'm interested in her work on Southern lynching. Writing in 1892, she suggests a number of general solutions to this horrific problem, but on a specific level, she sees one thing that makes a difference:

Of the many inhuman outrages of this present year, the only case where the proposed lynching did not occur, was where the men armed themselves in Jacksonville, Fla., and Paducah, Ky, and prevented it. The only times an Afro-American who was assaulted got away has been when he had a gun and used it in self-defense.

The lesson this teaches and which every Afro-American should ponder well, is that a Winchester rifle should have a place of honor in every black home, and it should be used for that protection which the law refuses to give. When the white man who is always the aggressor knows he runs as great risk of biting the dust every time his Afro-American victim does, he will have greater respect for Afro-American life. The more the Afro-American yields and cringes and begs, the more he has to do so, the more he is insulted, outraged and lynched.​

Although much in our society has improved since then, much remains the same. We still have firearms for that protection which the law cannot give. And we still know that cringing and begging leads only to more cringing and begging. This is true regardless of race or identity.

(Italic font is in original. I've added bold font for emphasis.)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
As a young black male living scary close to klan country I couldn't agree more.

Edit - I just realized I am in reality not really a young black male anymore - just a black male. That kind of depresses me...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Edit - I just realized I am in reality not really a young black male anymore - just a black male. That kind of depresses me...
Depressing or not, it's better than the alternative--and a good rifle has kept some people from having that alternative chosen for them.

I'd recommend an AR over anything Winchester makes these days, though.

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
Gun control has racism at it roots. If people doubt the need for "military grade firepower," they can read about the owner of the NY Times using a gatling gun to keep his business from being burned by mobs...or the "race riots" (really pogroms) of the early 20th century, in which scores of blacks were killed by shooting, fire, and lynching...even fire bombs dropped from private planes.

There's a reason history isn't taught anymore.

·
Banned
12,069 Posts

Here's what ya do when you're depressed Rolla: Get yourself a RASPBERRY Smoothie and drink it all by yourself. If you're still depressed...have another smoothie.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts

I agree with Frederick Douglas when he said (paraphrased)..... there should be no black lawyers association nor white lawyers association, and no one should distinguish any organization based upon the color of their skin .... .I do not want to be known as a black man, just a man.

I can't remember the name of the 2 towns, although I'm sure they were in Florida, when several Clan members decided ...... after they thought some black man had tried to rape a white woman ...... to just shoot and lynch any black people they ran into and burn down their houses. Initially a fair amount of people were shot and killed, but then ..... a few white men along with a few black men ..... went and got arms and started handing them out to all black men, encouraging them to shoot back. They did. Several members of the clan were killed.

The Democrats tried , and in some areas did, pass laws that forbid or made if extremely difficult for black men to own a gun.

My .02 cents, in Chicago...... their laws only stopped law-abiding citizens from being able to protect themselves. Again, another Democrat policy, and we have all seen how well that's worked.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speaking of Douglass, he offered a letter to open the piece I linked above. In part, it reads: "There has been no word equal to it in convincing power. I have spoken, but my word is feeble in comparison. You give us what you know and testify from actual knowledge. You have dealt with the facts with cool, painstaking fidelity and left those naked and uncontradicted facts to speak for themselves."

If only everyone were better at dealing with actual knowledge and facts.

Reactions: Eagleks

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I'm planning on eternal life with people from all nations. If we can't have love without discrimination here why would we think we would make it to heaven . That doesn't mean I lay down my gun and become a slave.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Speaking of Douglass, he offered a letter to open the piece I linked above. In part, it reads: "There has been no word equal to it in convincing power. I have spoken, but my word is feeble in comparison. You give us what you know and testify from actual knowledge. You have dealt with the facts with cool, painstaking fidelity and left those naked and uncontradicted facts to speak for themselves."

If only everyone were better at dealing with actual knowledge and facts.
One reason I really like Colion Noir, he just says it like it is ..... he just cuts thru the middle noise. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
I agree with Frederick Douglas when he said (paraphrased)..... there should be no black lawyers association nor white lawyers association, and no one should distinguish any organization based upon the color of their skin .... .I do not want to be known as a black man, just a man.

I can't remember the name of the 2 towns, although I'm sure they were in Florida, when several Clan members decided ...... after they thought some black man had tried to rape a white woman ...... to just shoot and lynch any black people they ran into and burn down their houses. Initially a fair amount of people were shot and killed, but then ..... a few white men along with a few black men ..... went and got arms and started handing them out to all black men, encouraging them to shoot back. They did. Several members of the clan were killed.

The Democrats tried , and in some areas did, pass laws that forbid or made if extremely difficult for black men to own a gun.

My .02 cents, in Chicago...... their laws only stopped law-abiding citizens from being able to protect themselves. Again, another Democrat policy, and we have all seen how well that's worked.
I think you are referring to Rosewood.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Interesting I live in Jacksonville FL and my roots are in Paducah KY.

Also, I didn't know the term "Afro-American" went back that far.

Who said that DC isn't informative?

Reactions: Arete

·
Registered
36,338 Posts

It doesn't get any better as the days slip by.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I think you are referring to Rosewood.

That's it. But, they often only refer to Rosewood, and there were killings, homes being burned, etc. that happened in the town near Rosewood, and everywhere in between. The people in the other town had heard about what was going on, and had armed up. It was not purely at Rosewood. I remember there was something about them removing railroad tracks too (the clan) so that "outside" help couldn't come in. Thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As bad as the history were we are more civilized nowadays but some blacks won't let go of the past. Same goes for the white.

We will always have racism.

·
Registered
58 Posts
As long as we are trying to "balance the scales of past injustice" we will have racism. Preference of one person over another due to past acts of discrimination will only continue to breed hatred. I happen to believe the lord is Color Blind.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting I live in Jacksonville FL and my roots are in Paducah KY.

Also, I didn't know the term "Afro-American" went back that far.

Who said that DC isn't informative?
Now you have me curious. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, it dates back a bit before then: "1831 Missionary Reg. Mar. 158/1 The Rev. G. M. Erskine has soon departed from his labours: he was an intelligent Minister, of Afro-American extraction."

Reactions: mkh and BamaT
1 - 16 of 16 Posts