Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I read somewhere the Wal*Mart was selling selling this LED replacement modules for the MiniMag light. Being the flashlight geek that I am, I promptly when and bought one. I just happened to have a MiniMag light or 6 laying around so I thought,"What the Hay.". Sure enought there they were for $5. ($4.92 to be exact) I got home and pulled out one of my maglight and darned if I wasn't impressed. Installation was a breeze and in less than 20 seconds I had the whole thing insalled and was blinding myself with it. Well not really blinding myself buy you get the point. I still have a lot of testing to do to see if I really like this new light. But for the price it is just amazing. I spent $30 on the Opalec NewBeam LED replacement module and here this if for $5. Granted it isn't the same quality as the higher priced module but still it will work for most general usage.

Here are some pictures.

This pic shows what the package looks like.

This picture shows was is being replaced.

An upclose picture of the module.

A couple pics of it installed.

Output is really good. It won't have the throw of the incadescent bulb but the battery life will be extended tremendously. I doubt that it will replace my UK4AA Eled as my General purpose light but this will deffinately be perfect for keeping in the car or a Bug out Bag. (hint hint hint) The LEDs never need replaced and are shock resistant so no worry about the filliment breaking when dropped. Also the Maglight body is very very strong. This should prove to be a great light for close to medium range tasks. I will be using this light daily for the next week. If I find somthing bad about it I will post it here.

Here are just a few pics comparing the LED light to the Stock MiniMag.

Here is a penguin lit up with the LED from 6 ft.

Here is a penguin lit up with the stock MiniMag.

clipse

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Clipse, I've got at least a dozen Maglights and I had 5 of the 2 AA size. I've already converted three of them with this kit and it works great. I took my old beater Maglight and put one of these in it and keep it at school with a $4 lantern for supplemental emergency lighting in a power outage. The best part is some kid can steal it and I'll only be out $9.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last night I tried beating the snot out this light to see if it would disrupt anything. I threw it on the concrete floor pretty hard several times and nothing happened. I'm still impressed. I happened to of lost my maglite with the Opalec LED conversion so I haven't been able to compare them.

clipse

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I've considered this conversion before in the past but never did it because it was not worth paying $5-$7 for the kit and then another $7 shipping to upgrade a $8 light. I'm honestly shocked a major retailer didn't being carrying any of these kits sooner.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Clipse - thx for the review - at that price it looks like my next trip to Wally World will yield a kit if I can find it.

My mini mag is reposing somewhere all but unused these days (both actually!).

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
I just bought several replacement bulbs for my MiniMag and didn't see this kit. Next time I am in WalMart I will look for it. I have two of the lights so it would be good to have one of each around. Thanks for the review! :smile:

·
Registered
42 Posts
IMO..this conversion makes the mini mag worthy again.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Ok, so one question: with this conversion, you lose the ability to narrow/widen the beam?

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
san antone rr said:
Ok, so one question: with this conversion, you lose the ability to narrow/widen the beam?
No.

Other findings:

I measured the current drawn by the bulb and the LEDs. The bulb draws 0.4 Amps and the LEDs draw 0.156 Amps so the LED head should last a little over 2.5 times as long as the bulb and I haven't done a run down test yet, but I suspect the LEDs will be more consistent over the life of the batteries.

At close range, about 6 feet, I like the LEDs, beyond that the bulb is much brighter and can be focused. I see applications for both.

Well, I'm off to do a run down test on both versions.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ill get the replacement before work tonight. I carry a 2 AA, when working my unarmed job.

1.To save on my Surefire batterys.

2. Incase I use my Kuboton. I can dich the kuboton in "the cuts", and tell the L.E.O. I was useing my Mag-lite on the jerk :wink: .

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
This is interesting...

I did some rundown tests on the Maglite AA LED vs Bulb and it was interesting.

The bulb intensity is much brighter initially but decays in about 50 minutes to the intensity of the LED.

The bulb is at half power in about 90 minutes. The LED holds essentially a constant intensity for about 800 minutes! That's almost 9 times longer life.

But, the other interesting thing is after I ran the LED for 24 hours, there was still some light, but difficult to see by. I turned it off for about 10 minutes, and when I turned it back on, the light out put was much brighter, and very useable. That means the combination of the LED and alkalines have quick recovery time and some additional use.

I think I'm gonna do a run down to about 10%, turn it off for a while, and see how much it recovers. My 24 hour run down was probably a bit of an overkill, but I couldn't terminate the test any quicker (meaning, I went home for the night).

It's not a tactical light by any means but it is a very useable light. I'm going to put the LED modules in both my AA MagLites.

The graph is a little coarse because a lot of data had to be compressed to less than 97.7k

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I took a look Mike first time we had posts on this - my Wally World had zilch and that was maybe 2 weeks ago.

I really would like to find this.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just a thought, I wonder if wally world's website has them?

If they do, you can order them and pick them up at your local store, without paying for shipping.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Great idea GS and you got my hopes up!

A search on ''Nite Ize'' and "LED upgrade'' came back with zilch unfortunately. ''Flashlight'' came up with 224 hits but could not be bothered to plow thru - and ''minmag flashlight'' was zero hits.

Anyone else got some bright ideas?

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
I tried out my Nite Ize outside in the dark last night, at 10 feet and beyond, it's not that impressive. I like it, but it really lacks the power to project and "disclose" detail beyond about 10 feet.

The two issues are: with the bulb you get a brighter light you can focus for 50 minutes,; with the LED head you get less light and can't focus it, but it will run a nearly a constant intensity for nearly 800 minutes (Energizer batteries). Plus, unlike a bulb, the LEDs are likely going to last longer than we will.

It's a good thing, I just didn't want you to think if you get this, that it's going to perform like a high power LED light.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts