Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received my CCW in PA. I have family and friends in NJ and travel there frequently. Most of the posts regarding bringing hand guns into NJ are old and unreliable. After researching and printing from the NJSP web site; I was very surprised to find out what the real deal was.
If you get pulled over in NJ with a hand gun in your car; it needs to be unloaded and locked in the trunk along with the ammo OR locked in a box if you have a van or other vehicle with no lockable trunk. I choose to lock my gun and ammo in a lock box AND in my locked trunk. This is assuming you DO NOT have hollow points. There are very different and very strict instructions for having hollow points in NJ. You must be on your way to or from a range if you have hollow points with little or no deviations along the route.
I also called 5 or so different ST barracks in NJ and got basically the same answer from everyone. If you can prove your gun was purchased legally and/or have a CCW from another state; you should be fine provided the weapon is being carried according to NJ law. Keep in mind; you cannot bring your gun in your car and travel around the state. You can however; target practice and/or bring your gun onto private property for your protection.
I took the liberty of printing the information from the web site AND retained the names of the troopers I spoke with. This information is in my in my glove box. Furthermore; NJ is a “may inform” state, that is; you do not need to inform him or her u have a weapon in the car.
Keep in mind NJ is very hostile to gun owners. I also have a target, head gear and safety glasses in my trunk to further reinforce what my intention is with my gun(s). Obey the laws and have your paperwork handy.
I am not giving anyone legal advice in any way, shape or form. I’m merely trying to give my interruption of the law in NJ.
This is the link: New Jersey State Police - Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :wave:, and good luck with your interpretation of NJ law. Fortunately I have no reason to go back there, so I have no specific knowledge of NJ laws.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret :31:

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
As a life long NJ resident and NRA Firearms Instructor......DO NOT give your interpretation of any NJ gun laws.....I can almost guarantee you are incorrect.
Even NJ police are mostly vague on the laws and if you get pulled over with a gun in the car, prepare yourself for a visit to the Graybar Hotel....at least for a while until they can check your story out.......

Best Advice I could give is..............don't bring handguns into NJ.....ever, it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
welcome from another PA member. this is a great forum for lots of good info and nice people. im sure someone here has been through your situation and can help more. happy shooting.

·
Super Moderator
19,444 Posts
I recently received my CCW in PA. I have family and friends in NJ and travel there frequently. Most of the posts regarding bringing hand guns into NJ are old and unreliable. After researching and printing from the NJSP web site; I was very surprised to find out what the real deal was.
If you get pulled over in NJ with a hand gun in your car; it needs to be unloaded and locked in the trunk along with the ammo OR locked in a box if you have a van or other vehicle with no lockable trunk. I choose to lock my gun and ammo in a lock box AND in my locked trunk. This is assuming you DO NOT have hollow points. There are very different and very strict instructions for having hollow points in NJ. You must be on your way to or from a range if you have hollow points with little or no deviations along the route.
I also called 5 or so different ST barracks in NJ and got basically the same answer from everyone. If you can prove your gun was purchased legally and/or have a CCW from another state; you should be fine provided the weapon is being carried according to NJ law. Keep in mind; you cannot bring your gun in your car and travel around the state. You can however; target practice and/or bring your gun onto private property for your protection.
I took the liberty of printing the information from the web site AND retained the names of the troopers I spoke with. This information is in my in my glove box. Furthermore; NJ is a “may inform” state, that is; you do not need to inform him or her u have a weapon in the car.
Keep in mind NJ is very hostile to gun owners. I also have a target, head gear and safety glasses in my trunk to further reinforce what my intention is with my gun(s). Obey the laws and have your paperwork handy.
I am not giving anyone legal advice in any way, shape or form. I’m merely trying to give my interruption of the law in NJ.
This is the link: New Jersey State Police - Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey
First off, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for posting the info about NJ. However, anecdotally, I am aware of cases in which NJ cops took an "arrest 'em all, let the courts sort it out" approach which resulted in days of inconvenience at the very least. Non-resident travelers to NJ should always be aware of the risks posed by transporting firearms into and through the state.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm from Philadelphia and the close proximity to NJ is a complete inconvenience. I try to stay away from the (no offense) armpit of America.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I get it!! Read the link from the NJSP site and draw your own conclusions. That was my point that you missed completely. I was very specific about legal advice (or lack thereof) and my views. Also, you are a NRA instructor in NJ and you don’t know the law? Transporting a gun in NJ would be the first questions I would ask of my instructor.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
No, I know the LAW and I've been an instructor here this my 22 year.............NJ is a no tolerance state for out of state gun toters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s beginning to sound like you have no tolerance for out of state “gun toters” . Let’s get this resolved, shall we? I will agree that some LEO’s (perhaps most) may not like a gun toter from another state. I accept your premise. Please copy and paste the NJSP website to this forum and show me (thousands of us) specifically how I am misreading the text. I would also like to say I respect your training and position. I’m looking for answers, not confrontation.

·
Registered
959 Posts
They are not being confrontational, they are offering up their interpretation of the law in the spirit of discussion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Smitty,
Your response was the most levelheaded so far.
I just want to comply with the law and be able to protect myself and my family.. Not necessarily in that order!!
Richard

·
Registered
632 Posts
No offense to new jerseyians but i lived there from 09 to 12 and i am N E V E R going back. I tried to make sense of the gun laws, i tried to conform, i asked the questions, i got five diffrent answers each ( from their cops) evry time i took the gun out to the range i feared it would be confiscated if i even looked suspicious. I hated it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you, I get it. I always learn from someone with all that experience. I’m just trying to get it right!

·
Super Moderator
19,444 Posts
Thanks Smitty,
Your response was the most levelheaded so far.
I just want to comply with the law and be able to protect myself and my family.. Not necessarily in that order!!
Richard
FYI, I was born in NJ and lived there until my college days (late 60's). Cut my 'political activist' teeth with letters about gun control to Governor Hughes way back when!

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.

Lived in NJ for thirty-some-odd-years and have no desire to go back there. I wouldn't want to have any interaction with a NJ LEO if any of my guns were in the same State as me and the LEO. Have you read any of the news stories lately involving law abiding gun owners in NJ and their interactions with NJ LEOs?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.