Defensive Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't normally hunt on weekends, especially holiday weekends, but my hunting buddy had the morning off from work and wanted to hit it again while we know the elk are still in the area where we have been hunting. We headed up the mountain at 5:30 AM with just a sliver of moon.

We went back into an area that I had not seen before and it was tough terrain. Lots of deadfalls, lava fields, and cinder cones, but the elk love it back there. There were fresh tracks, scat, and we heard one bull bugling, and probably a spike whistling. My hunting buddy, Jim saw some elk moving through the trees at a distance. We never could get close enough to seal the deal.

Jim, who is 50 this year, is almost 20 years younger than I am so I really have to hustle to keep up with him. He moves through this stuff almost as fast as the elk do.

What's interesting about this morning is some of the terrain, which is why I posted this. In the first photo, you can see a lava rock field we crossed. You have to be really careful crossing this stuff because it's easy to twist an ankle or fall.

In the second photo, you can see a "cinder cone" in the distance, where the volcanic rock came up through the earth.

The leaves have started to turn on the aspen trees and this was the first morning where our breath was condensing. In another week or two, the elk rut will be in full swing and we should hear animals bugling regularly.

We hiked 2.4 miles, but it felt like five. Tonight, I will put in another 6-7 miles patrolling the county fair for the sheriff's office.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
Bow hunting is tough! If you are not successful with the bow I hope you learn new places to get em during rifle season!

Have you read any of the" 411 the Lost" books by David Paulides? They almost all involve boulder fields like those lava rocks! Check them out if you get a chance this winter! DR

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
WOW! Would have loved hiking that 30 years ago. These days I'm just not physically up to anything that rugged.
Enjoy it even if you don't fill a tag. That's some awesome scenery.

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
Man, that's some tough country to cross, Raven. I've hunted some rough areas as a teen and young man, but I would have thought twice about that rock crossing even then!

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bow hunting is tough! If you are not successful with the bow I hope you learn new places to get em during rifle season!

Have you read any of the" 411 the Lost" books by David Paulides? They almost all involve boulder fields like those lava rocks! Check them out if you get a chance this winter! DR
Thanks for the recommendation. I will check them out.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
A day afield is a good day whether or not the game cooperates. By the way, that is what a friend of mine called an armed hike!

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A day afield is a good day whether or not the game cooperates. By the way, that is what a friend of mine called an armed hike!
If I had a rifle it would have been “hiking with bullets.”

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Good luck!! 😎

Reactions: G26Raven
1 - 11 of 11 Posts