Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, grand wizards of DCF, why can I not change my email address? Strange that this coincides with the recent rash of spamming, don't you think?

Reactions: 1MoreGoodGuy

·
Administrator
Community Manager
1,627 Posts
Okay, grand wizards of DCF, why can I not change my email address? Strange that this coincides with the recent rash of spamming, don't you think?
Sounds like a bug to me, but if you would like to PM me I would be happy to change your email address for you.

·
Registered
41,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, common among several of us kind of bug.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
1,627 Posts
Okay, it looks like the way the page is set up right now, you have to change your password at the same time as changing your email address.

Can you let me know if that works for you? If not, as I mentioned, feel free to PM me and I will change it for you.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
I guess the question has been asked and answered but, since I've received some spam myself that is attributable to this forum, you're selling us off to Cabelas and what not? If it says that you can when I signed up and blah blah blah, you don't need to quote scripture. Just a yes or no will suffice. Thanks.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
1,627 Posts
As I responded in another thread...

Both emails came from us. One was a newsletter of popular topics in the community, and the other was a discount offer we thought you might appreciate.

As I mentioned previously, no email addresses have been sold.

That being said, if you do not want to receive emails from us, you can simply click to unsubscribe and you will not receive another one.

·
Premium Member
8,131 Posts
I had a web site. I had a newsletter. The only proper way to build a newsletter mailing list is to send AN INVITATION for people to sign up, to which they have to reply if they want to receive it. THEN if they sign up that way, you send them a confirmation that they are subscribed with a link to unsub in case some "friend" signed them up.

You DO NOT start sending out newsletters and "special deal" emails to people who signed up to participate in a forum only. This is sleaze in its worst form. It is disgusting and unforgiveable. Granny has spoken.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
Okay, it looks like the way the page is set up right now, you have to change your password at the same time as changing your email address.

Can you let me know if that works for you? If not, as I mentioned, feel free to PM me and I will change it for you.
This needs to change fast. It was a nightmare trying to reset the password the first time around, not to mention uncalled for. Now we can't change our email without going through that goat rope again. As stated this needs to change.

·
Banned
2,462 Posts
Wrong. They sold nothing.
I might be willing to accept that, but I would like to know how they got permission to send out the Cabelas coupon? I get things sent to me by a number of forums that I participate in or used to, but I've never received spam coupons from any of them.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
1,627 Posts

Update: You don't actually have to change your password. In your settings, enter your password at the top, and then enter the same password in the next 2 boxes as if you were changing it, then make your email address change as needed. Make sure to click to save the changes.

saveemail.png

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
FWIW...I hit the unsubscribe and I have not received anything else. I also now have all DC emails going to spam.
My issue with this spamming of members wasn't something we agreed to when we signed up. In my mind, its the low end of the internet that does these type of things.

RG, Our emails might not have been sold, but Torstar is making money by sending out the ads, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

I suspect if you unsubscribe and change your email, you will continue to get spammed. Hit the unsubscribe and do not change your email. To be a member of the forum you have to give them a good email addy is my understanding.

Cricket, you seem to be working hard for the members, but your bosses aren't helping you.
Do you think its a coincidence that they (Canadian Company and non gun supporter) hired a female from Texas to be the active admin on US gun site? I don't.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
1,627 Posts
Cricket, you seem to be working hard for the members, but your bosses aren't helping you.
Do you think its a coincidence that they (Canadian Company and non gun supporter) hired a female from Texas to be the active admin on US gun site? I don't.
You realize that I already worked for VerticalScope long before defensivecarry became part of the company, correct?

I wasn't hired to work with this site. I work with multiple sites as a community manager.

We have offices in Toronto, California, Chicago and remote employees throughout the US and even some in Europe.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had a web site. I had a newsletter. The only proper way to build a newsletter mailing list is to send AN INVITATION for people to sign up, to which they have to reply if they want to receive it. THEN if they sign up that way, you send them a confirmation that they are subscribed with a link to unsub in case some "friend" signed them up.

You DO NOT start sending out newsletters and "special deal" emails to people who signed up to participate in a forum only. This is sleaze in its worst form. It is disgusting and unforgiveable. Granny has spoken.
GET EM Granny!:danceban:

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
You realize that I already worked for VerticalScope long before defensivecarry became part of the company, correct?

I wasn't hired to work with this site. I work with multiple sites as a community manager.

We have offices in Toronto, California, Chicago and remote employees throughout the US and even some in Europe.
Cricket, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for letting us know. In your early posts you came across as the new kid, guess that was to dc.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
1,627 Posts
Cricket, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for letting us know. In your early posts you came across as the new kid, guess that was to dc.
For what it is worth, I wanted to work with this site. :vs_smile:

·
Premium Member
8,210 Posts

I bet you are ready to throw your hands up here .......................:wink:

·
Administrator
Community Manager
1,627 Posts
I bet you are ready to throw your hands up here .......................:wink:
Actually, I adore this site. Y'all have one of the best moderator/admin teams that I have worked.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts