Defensive Carry banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In late Feb. I placed a back order for a case of 9mm. Credit card not charged until product shipped.
The site said expected arrival 15Apr.
When I called they admitted honestly that they were sometimes wrong re the dates.
Product arrived on 1 May and just got it.

Now my point;price quoted in Feb. $224 including freight.
Price actually charged...same!!!
This is basically what I was paying last year online.

My question;If they can charge "OLD" PRICES (and still make a profit) why can't others?
Sure, some are paying inflated prices and passing that on with something added for profit.
Others are buying at old prices and charging whatever they can get.
If they get those prices,shame on the buyers who support those prices.

We will never know who is really gouging and who isn't.

For certain,Mid-South IS NOT!!!!!!:smile::approve:

·
Registered
450 Posts
At my LGS there is a 900 round case of .223 for a ridiculous price. I'm pretty sure it's well over $1,000.00. Well the owner told me a secret. That case is for the schmucks that come in. For his repeat customers he sells the same stuff but its behind the counter at a lower price. He treats the customers who he knows will come back totally different than the ones who come by and try to purchase all his ammo never to be seen again. He doesn't want his regulars to be out of ammo because of that one schmuck. So he has that "last one in stock" case of ammo there to sell them.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have three 15 round 40 cal Glock Magazines on order from them placed in January!
Maybe I'll get them soon!

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
It could be that Mid-South Supply had a pricing contract in place at the time and are simply passing those prices on to you. The guy at the end of the supply chain has little control over pricing and will sooner or later adjust his prices.

Georgia Carry

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have three 15 round 40 cal Glock Magazines on order from them placed in January!
Maybe I'll get them soon!
When they come,they should be at the quoted (January) price.
If prices have gone down in the market by then,you can always cancel the order.

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It could be that Mid-South Supply had a pricing contract in place at the time and are simply passing those prices on to you. The guy at the end of the supply chain has little control over pricing and will sooner or later adjust his prices.

Georgia Carry
That's probable,but they also could have placed the order and then sold the ammo at much higher prices.
I find it hard to believe that they (of all online sellers) were the only ones with such a contract.
As I originally said,we can never know who is selling for high (or ridiculous prices) due to higher cost and who is just gouging.
Most of the large sellers I have dealt with are simply out of stock and are not quoting any inflated prices.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If they can sell the ammo at a higher price, why shouldn't they? Prices are determined by what people are willing to give up in exchange for something that want more. What is the "correct" price in your mind? Selling at "old prices" may make you feel better about the place, but it means the owners of the store are giving up an opportunity to make money now that they may not have later based on current market conditions. Don't forget these store owners do what they do to make money and support their livelihood. Profit isn't an obscene term. If their prices get too high, people will stop buying it.

Another way to look at it is that prices actually ensure availability. When demand for something increases and supply remains constant (or when supply decreases with constant demand) there are two ways for a market to deal with it. In a free market, prices rise to meet demand. People re-assess their needs based on higher prices and buy less of a given commodity, thus leaving some for others willing to pay the higher prices. The other alternative is rationing -- that's what we see at the big stores like Cabela's and Walmart who can make their money off of other items. Same price, but they can't keep it on the shelves. That's why the large sellers are "simply out of stock."

Before you start throwing out terms like "greedy" and "gouging" you have to consider that most retailers are paying premium prices from their distributors and have to pass that on or lose money. Are the manufacturers paying more for primer, brass, powder, and lead? Realize that in a shortage situation (which we have) there are always people who are going to be willing to pay more and will snap up supply when they are able. That bids up prices across the market.

We've all heard of people buying ammo at "regular" prices when they can and then flipping it at gunshows and on gun broker. Is that better than the guys at the LGS charging a premium when supply gets short? In my mind no, since they are the ones making a living and have to consider future business. It's not a question of if people are going to make money, but who.

Likewise, are you going to be willing to pay a few dollars more to help the retailers out when the bubble bursts and supply catches up to demand? Are you "gouging" the retailer when you demand discounts and sale prices on items in stock? You'll see prices plummet as all the hoarders attempt to unload their stuff in the secondary market and inventory explodes as people stop panic buying and realize they have enough ammo for years.

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bucketeer;
First;I never used the word "greedy".
Second;I took the supply and demand economics course in school.
Third;Mid-South could have just not listed B/O's and put the product on sale when it actually got in and at any price they wanted.
The reason a business does what they did is not because they are too stupid to make extra profit.
It's because they are smart enough to know that customer retention is the most important part of ant business's success.

If I did not mention it in my first post; I have no owner ship in the company. I don't even know the owners. I am not getting any reward for my post.
I just like to mention people who have treated me well in public. We see a lot of "beefs" on these forums,I like to add a few bouquets.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Bucketeer;
First;I never used the word "greedy".
Second;I took the supply and demand economics course in school.
Third;Mid-South could have just not listed B/O's and put the product on sale when it actually got in and at any price they wanted.
The reason a business does what they did is not because they are too stupid to make extra profit.
It's because they are smart enough to know that customer retention is the most important part of ant business's success.

If I did not mention it in my first post; I have no owner ship in the company. I don't even know the owners. I am not getting any reward for my post.
I just like to mention people who have treated me well in public. We see a lot of "beefs" on these forums,I like to add a few bouquets.
Sorry, shoulda been clearer. I didn't mean to imply that you were calling them "greedy", just remarking that the term has been thrown about along with "gouging" of late.

While long term customer retention is certainly important for a some businesses, it really just depends on their business model. The bottom line is that few retailers can control retail prices in a demand crunch like we're seeing. What is referred to so often as "gouging" is often the result of higher prices paid by the distributor vs "taking advantage."

To be honest, with a few exceptions ammo isn't currently a necessity to survive in today's society and if prices go up then folks should by only what the need for self-protection if they don't want to spend the extra money. I just get tired hearing how retails are "gouging" and "greedy" whenever prices go up, as if that explains anything. As Thomas Sowell once said (and I'm paraphrasing a bit), "blaming greed economic problems is like blaming gravity for a plane crash." Yeah, it's certainly there, but doesn't help explain much of what's happening.

I'm glad you got a good deal on ammo and found a business that does things like that. That said, I'm sure places like Cheaper than Dirt, who are selling ammo at premium prices, are going to continue to do well too -- mostly because they have stuff in stock that people are willing to pay for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts