Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what people do about hearing protection (if any) for personal protection. Obviously, we don't go walking around with big over-the-ear protectors, and the little foam ones in the ear all the time are probably not a good option either.

I don't wear anything, and I rarely have ear plugs with me, not to mention, if the situation ever came up, I wouldn't want to make the BG wait for me to shoot while I put my hearing protection on :duh:

About a year ago, I shot 8 rounds from my 1911 .45 without any hearing protection. The BANG instantly made my whole head buzz and my ears kept ringing for at least another hour after. It's certainly not something I would want to do again, unless I really had to...

·
Registered
271 Posts
In the event that you have to discharge your weapon when the SHTF, the ringing in your ears will likely be the least of your worries. I have "muffs" for the range, but that's the only time i keep them with me. I'll occasionally have foam plugs with me if i ride the motorcycle that day, but as you said, i don't think someone's going to wait while you roll them up and carefully insert them into your ears.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I don't wear them around the house but Surefire Sonic Defenders work pretty well and you can't really see them. They still allow the ability to hear talking but once it goes above a certain DB they drown it out

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You're talking about when going about day-to-day activities? Forget 'em!

Most folks are never in a situation that even requires that they pull out a weapon. If they are, often presenting it solves the problem. If one has to shoot, the gunfight is usually over in three shots. The likelihood of ever NEEDING to shoot without hearing protection is miniscule (though not zero, which is why we carry and train). And with the post-shooting mayhem, any ringing in ones ears will be of comparatively little importance. Thus any hearing protection day-to-day really is over the top, in my opinion.

Plan on hearing aids later if you need to fire in a car, however. But if you're firing, wearing hearing aids later are an acceptable alternative to dead.

Ears ringing might actually be useful after a shooting: "Sorry officer, my ears are ringing and I can't hear you. I'll give a statement once my hearing returns and my lawyer gets here."

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Day to day walking around planet earth...Nothing.
As others stated if and when the flag drops I'll be most focused on my breathing, second to second.
If I stayed alive but never heard another thing as a result of discharging my own weapon then that would be a price I'd gladly pay as opposed to having great hearing while napping in the back of an undertakers hearse.

At home though I do keep two sets of foam ears inside my in case of emergencies firearm lock box.
As well I keep a set of ear muffs hung on my bedroom closet door as well to hand off to either of my kids or use myself if time allows.

I do though plan to replace it with a second set of cheap electronic ears again for HD to use not so much for ear protection but to amplify ambient sounds.

- Janq

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I don't think if your in a self defense situation hearing protection is going to be of great concern. There is a good possibility that you may not even experience ringing of the ears. Ask anyone that hunts if they experience ringing of ears after shooting a high powered rifle when killing a deer, elk, or whatever. I have never noticed anything after a shot. Much different than what happens at the range when practicing. Maybe it is the adrenaline or something that compensates for it during stress or excitement.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
You should always wear earmuffs, would kinda enhance your "selective hearing" also. Just tell the wife you still want to be able to hear her lovely voice after the incident.

Joker1

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I fired two Federal HST +P .45 rounds from my SIS Pro in my home. In the moment it wasn't that bad for my hearing. About an hour later there was the slightest ring, but that passed later that day. I remember the smell mcuh worse than I remember any problems with hearing.

Now, I've fired a number outdoors without protection and it affected me much worse, but this was when I planned to go shooting and was anticipating the noise. Still wasn't that bad though. I usually do wear hearing protection though.

Funny how the human body works.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
First of all you should always use hearing protection during practice,shooting to see what it's like without protection only damages your hearing.In a SD situation there is the adrenaline dump and somehow it blocks out loud noises,kinda surreal slow motion kinda stuff.you will very likely not even hear the shots or they will sound muffled ,or realise how many times you fired if you have to shoot

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
In one personal shooting with a 12 GA, and being on the scene of shooting many pitbulls with pistols, subguns, and M4s during SWAT entries, neither me or anyone around me reported any issues with their hearing before or after the incident besides auditory exclusion.

·
Registered
168 Posts
First of all you should always use hearing protection during practice,shooting to see what it's like without protection only damages your hearing.In a SD situation there is the adrenaline dump and somehow it blocks out loud noises,kinda surreal slow motion kinda stuff.you will very likely not even hear the shots or they will sound muffled ,or realise how many times you fired if you have to shoot
The adrenaline cannot (and does not) protect your hearing in any way. The 'ringing' in ones ears after loud noise, etc, is called tinnitus. It's cause by the noise physically damaging the fine hair within your ear canal which pick-up/detect sound, and translate it to something your brain understands. These hairs, when damaged, rub against each other or the skin within the ear, creating the 'ringing' sounds.

See here (haha) for more information: Tinnitus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
861 Posts
Imagine a 22 mag revolver with a 1 7/8ths barrel , leaning over a garbage dumpster while aiming at a groundhog...a PIERCING BLAST...did you say something? Yes I did....Ouch and a whole bunch of colorful metaphors.......

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't think if your in a self defense situation hearing protection is going to be of great concern. There is a good possibility that you may not even experience ringing of the ears. Ask anyone that hunts if they experience ringing of ears after shooting a high powered rifle when killing a deer, elk, or whatever. I have never noticed anything after a shot. Much different than what happens at the range when practicing. Maybe it is the adrenaline or something that compensates for it during stress or excitement.
There it is. The adrenaline will make it so you don't even notice it under stress. It will be the least of your worries.

·
Registered
18 Posts
From my experience you won't hear a thing. You go into audio sensor overload and you'll "hear" it, but it sounds more like a small pop noise instead of the loud noise you hear at the range.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Ten years ago I shot a wild boar at 15 yards with a .44 mag handgun. We were hunting on foot using dogs to track the hogs and I had to sprint to where the dogs were holding him at bay for me.

By the time I got to him and was able to take the shot, my heart was pounding and the adreneline was flowing...I never even heard the .44 go boom and it took me about 30 minutes to come down off the rush and stop shaking.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
No hearing protection during a defensive application of your weapon will likely be a mute point. This subject has been scientifically explained before, and argued about.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
If it a 'true' self-defense situation, don't have your shooting glasses and electronic ear muff on when the police show up...:nono:

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
If I have to discharge my weapon in a self-defense situation, the very last thing i'm going to worry about is hearing protection.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Here's the problem. In a real life shooting situation, at least as far as civilians are concerned. There is probably absolutely no way in hell is someone going to have time to don hearing protection.

The very nature of a self defense shooting situation is based on the fact that you are in immediate and otherwise unavoidable threat of death or grave bodily injury

If you have the time to don hearing protection prior to using your gun, you more than likely have the time to get out of harms way all together!

If you are attempting to don hearing protection, you definitely are committing so many tactical blunders and failing to focus on the real threat that you will likely be killed!

It is sheer folly to think that you are going to have an opportunity to don hearing protection that I wonder a persons sanity who thinks they will have time to get hearing protection on. Again, if you have the time to put on hearing protection, you are by definition not in an immediate and otherwise unavoidable threat of death or grave bodily injury type situation.

With all that said... If a scenario presents where say for example, you are in bed asleep and you hear someone inside your house, or any number of other situations even outside the home, your sense of hearing is going to be one of the most critical senses you need. If a bad guy is creeping up on you, you want to be able to hear his movements. To dull your hearing by donning hearing protection, you are making a serious tactical error which may lead to your death or crippling injury. In such a situation, unless you have electronic hearing protection which amplifies ambient sound enhance your hearing, yet electronically shuts off the speakers/mic to provide protection during actual gunfire, I would not use anything else.

I will point out that none of the members on our swat entry team wears hearing protection when we do a raid on a warrant service. Other teams may use hearing protection but ours do not.

I hope this helps with your inquiry.

YMMV

1 - 20 of 48 Posts