Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In no way am I bashing Kahr or anyone who owns one. But today I got off work and decided to clean my Kahr CW9(as I do once or twice a week). As I drew it out of my holster and ejected the mag, I started to pull the slide back and suddenly the gun went off. In no way was my finger by the trigger. I was shocked because I have had 0 problems with it not even a jam. So I had to replace some drywall and thankfully the police were not called. I sold my gun about 3 hours after this happened because honestly I am not comfortable with carrying a weapon that has accidently fired. Not safe to me or anyone around me. On a brighter note I did buy a Ruger LCP. Anyway thats my terrible story of the day. I just Thank God that no one was hurt and that it happened at home and not out in public. :mad:

·
Registered
103 Posts
yikes I've been considering getting a kahr. Thank god no one was hurt.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well that's no good, glad you're all right and only damaged a bit of wall. I hope you made aware to the buyer today before selling the firearm that it had this malfunction... in everyone's best interests.

How far back had you pulled the slide? I'm trusting that you didn't pull the boom switch but that sure sounds like quite the fluke accident to me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mengel,

Sorry for your scare but the fact that no one was hurt at least shows it was pointed in safe direction. Cograts on that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had pulled it back maybe a quarter to half and inch. I don't know. Never had any problems before.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I am not doubting what had happened to you, but I am concerned (as I am a PM9 owner and many others own their pistols) about a few things:

1) If it just went off from pulling the slide partially back, without the trigger being pulled, it is a faulty gun and should be sent off as such to Kahr or a pistol smith, AND certainly not sold in that condition, at least not without full disclosure

2) If that happened to me, I would definately want to know the "how" and "why" it happened, because frankly, the Kahr is a striker fired gun similar to many others (Glock, which I have a few of) and if it is a mechanical failure, I would need to understand it better for myself.

Good luck and glad there was no injury associated with this...phew!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
the slide was pulled back 1/4 to 1/2 inch and the gun discharged?...thats beyond odd..and it would also indicate the round was partially removed from the chamber at that point by the extractor...i would have expected a great deal of pressure cming out of the ejection slot and possible injury to yourself...sounds vry lucky and congratulations for having it pointed in a safe direction with nobody on the other side of the wall...

i think i would have seen a gunsmith about that one also...

·
Registered
281 Posts
That is totally bizarre - most autoloaders won't fire when they're even a little out of battery.

I say you shouldn't have sold it though. A threat of a lawsuit may force kahr to up their game and design a fix to whatever happened.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
In no way am I bashing Kahr or anyone who owns one. But today I got off work and decided to clean my Kahr CW9(as I do once or twice a week). As I drew it out of my holster and ejected the mag, I started to pull the slide back and suddenly the gun went off. In no way was my finger by the trigger. I was shocked because I have had 0 problems with it not even a jam. So I had to replace some drywall and thankfully the police were not called. I sold my gun about 3 hours after this happened because honestly I am not comfortable with carrying a weapon that has accidently fired. Not safe to me or anyone around me. On a brighter note I did buy a Ruger LCP. Anyway thats my terrible story of the day. I just Thank God that no one was hurt and that it happened at home and not out in public. :mad:

Glad that no one was hurt. You said that you "started" to pull the slide back. Did you try to rack it in one smooth rearward motion or were you riding it back in an attempt to "catch" the round in your hand as it comes out of the ejection port? The latter can be dangerous if the slide starts to go back forward an the primer is struck (not necessarily by the firing pin).

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
-Glad you weren't hurt
-Not good to sell a gun like that
-And thinking about how this could happen? :scruntiny:

Can't see how it's even possible. I believe this would be the only case of a discharge occuring during a racking of a slide when the finger wasn't on the trigger.

I'll keep my Kahr's and there's no way this would happen to me without me trying real hard to figure out why.

more...:scruntiny:

·
Banned
342 Posts
-Glad you weren't hurt
-Not good to sell a gun like that
-And thinking about how this could happen? :scruntiny:

Can't see how it's even possible. I believe this would be the only case of a discharge occuring during a racking of a slide when the finger wasn't on the trigger.

I'll keep my Kahr's and there's no way this would happen to me without me trying real hard to figure out why.

more...:scruntiny:
+1 on all counts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just looked at the kahr site to see how their triggers work and it doesn't even seem that such an AD would be possible. When you work the slide, it's de-cocking the striker in the process.

It seems that for this to happen the sear would have to have let go or broken when racking but, if the slide was 1/4" back already would the striker have enough force to set off the primer? I imagine that the full travel on the striker isn't much more than a 1/4" not to mention the drop safety plunger (kahrs do have those right?) would still be engaged.

Would be very nice to get to the bottom of how this could happen.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
It is always strange when something like this happens. Glad no one was injured. I don't know much about Kahr pistols, but I did have an event happen this past spring. Took my Glock 19 out of the safe....it was loaded with one in the chamber....set it down on my workbench, and as I turned around to get back into the safe....sure enough, I brushed up against the gun.....it fell on the floor and discharged! We never did figure out how that could happen....so I certainly understand weird things happening. Good luck and shoot safe.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm gonna say selling the possibly defective gun was a huge mistake and you had better hope no one injures themselves or worse yet a loved one with it. The legal liability issue is huge. I'd try to buy it back at any cost and send it back for a factory repair. It's the responsible thing to do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I sure hope you told the person who bought it that it went off accidentally. If not you should contact them and warn them now. If you didn't warn them or notify them I would not know what to think about this situation. If someone gets hurt you could be liable.

fknipfer1

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
from an internet search...interesting that he was manipulating the slide back when it happened...

"Okay. Here is a confession. Last summer I had an accidental discharge with my Kahr KP45. I live and work on a ranch and shoot a lot. The Kahr KP45 is my daily carry then and now. I was sitting at my desk listening to a boring telephone conversation from one of my employees and had the Kahr in my right hand, working the slide back slightly a few times (about 1 inch to 2 inches) and released it to slap forward. Finger not on trigger. Boom! It fired. Hole in ceiling. Empty didn't eject (magazine was installed and full). I've related this story to friends only recently as it is embarassing. One suggested loading the pistol with an empty case with primer only to see if it could be duplicated. I may do that but thought I'd check internet to see if anybody has similar experiences with striker fired pistols. "

·
Registered
928 Posts
from an internet search...interesting that he was manipulating the slide back when it happened...

"Okay. Here is a confession. Last summer I had an accidental discharge with my Kahr KP45. I live and work on a ranch and shoot a lot. The Kahr KP45 is my daily carry then and now. I was sitting at my desk listening to a boring telephone conversation from one of my employees and had the Kahr in my right hand, working the slide back slightly a few times (about 1 inch to 2 inches) and released it to slap forward. Finger not on trigger. Boom! It fired. Hole in ceiling. Empty didn't eject (magazine was installed and full). I've related this story to friends only recently as it is embarassing. One suggested loading the pistol with an empty case with primer only to see if it could be duplicated. I may do that but thought I'd check internet to see if anybody has similar experiences with striker fired pistols. "

Scary stuff.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just looked at the kahr site to see how their triggers work and it doesn't even seem that such an AD would be possible. When you work the slide, it's de-cocking the striker in the process.

It seems that for this to happen the sear would have to have let go or broken when racking but, if the slide was 1/4" back already would the striker have enough force to set off the primer? I imagine that the full travel on the striker isn't much more than a 1/4" not to mention the drop safety plunger (kahrs do have those right?) would still be engaged.

Would be very nice to get to the bottom of how this could happen.
Yes, the Kahrs have a drop safety plunger. It is spring loaded to be in the striker blocking position. It is moved out of the striker's path just before the striker is released. (There are two cam lobes which are operated by the trigger; the first cam lobe draws the striker rearward, while the second cam lobe then pushes the striker block out of the way.) It is most important to check the plunger for correct operation as part of the cleaning process. It is possible for the plunger to become jammed in the un-blocking position if it is not clean and lubed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I disclosed the problem. It was sold to an friend who's father is a gun smith. I sold it very cheap and he said that he would have his father look at before he tried to shoot it. I don't know what the problem was. I cleaned and loaded the gun about a week and a half before this happened. Everything worked just fine. Then only thing I can think I have done different recently is used snap caps during some drills drawing from a shoulder holster.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.