Defensive Carry banner

No more car pool for anti-gun co-worker

2K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Mojoski 
#1 ·
I usually give this guy a ride to work everyday, then one day he saw me remove my carry gun to enter the office (no firearms allowed) the guy saw me do it and said in a nasty tone “dude why do you have to carry that” I told him that a lot of people carry and have permits, I told him he can just take the bus from now on… did i do the right thing?

#2 ·
ROFLMAO he would have taken the bus home had it been me

#4 ·
Rugerman , i agree , and a walk/busride home might give him time to reflect on sticking his blissninny nose where it is neither wanted nor needed at the least .. after the apology from him is the time to educate . Manners first then illumination .. YMMV

#8 ·
If he has a problem with you carrying, and won't listen, .
edited down to the part i disagree with lol

Rick : I respectfully somewhat disagree , if he voices anything while bumming a ride to and from work , screw him , imho thoes who ride free dont bitch or comment on the ride's habits ... its just manners and commen sense , i would feel the same way if he had said " Dude your seat covers suck " or any such , let em walk a bit , after an apology you discuss the issue with them lol

#9 ·
Rugerman said:
You should use it as a chance to change the way he thinks about it.
Thats what I'd have done.
Additionally I'd use it as an opportunity to segue into a newbie shooter day at my local range. Maybe invite acouple other guys from the office and/or non work related friends to keep it casual & comfortable for the anti.

I did this with my mother inlaws daughters and her brother upon my CCW activities coming up without my asking as a point of conversation last Thanksgiving. The next day I took them to the range to shoot and show them how fun the 'sport' can be not at all talking about carry. As it turned out the uncle used to shoot 30 yrs. ago when he was in college but hadn't touched a gun since. His skills had near zero rust. One of the daughters was a natural hitting the bullsye for a double tap within the first string of 10 via a .22 I'd rented for her. She now keeps one of hers targets from that session pinned above her desk at work with pride and when she's in town asks that I take her to the range. The other daughter didn't care for shooting at all nor tried too much and was content to just watch.
Since then none of the three have given me grief about being a CCW and the uncle in specific told my mother inlaw that he'd had a ton of fun and was especially impressed at my own concern for firearms safety and how well I did at instructing them in pistol basics.

It often takes small incremental steps toward converting gun fearful and/or explaining facts & figures to anti-CCW types.
I know as myself I was anti CCW inspecific for ages even as I've always been pro-gun and have been shooting since childhood.

- Janq

#10 ·
Cutting him off only serves to alienate him and reinforce his negative image of guns and gunowners in general.

He simply asked "dude why do you have to carry that”. Rather than be defensive about it, you should have used it as an opportunity to educate him.

Refusing to give him a ride eliminates a lot of time to discuss it further. Who knows ? He might have come to his senses and wanted to try shooting and you could have been the one to take him to the range and converted him.

The only way it'll ever get better in this country is to EDUCATE and reform the anti's.

#11 ·
I totally agree HotGuns, we should all take EVERY opportunity available to us to have civil discussions with antis about firearms, ccw, etc. The carpool would be an excellent chance to gracefully and gradually remove the brainwashing.

#12 ·
The problem with reform is that an individual has to have some desire or be reasonable enough too listen. Most folks are not. We can and should share, but we won't change them, they must chage themselves.

#13 ·
HotGuns said:
Cutting him off only serves to alienate him and reinforce his negative image of guns and gunowners in general.

He simply asked "dude why do you have to carry that”. Rather than be defensive about it, you should have used it as an oppotunity to educate him.

Refusing to give him a ride eliminates a lot of time to discuss it further. Who knows ? He might have come to his senses and wanted to try shooting and you could have been the one to trake him to the range and converted him.

The only way it'll ever get better in this country is to EDUCATE and reform the anti's.

Honestly, I tried to explain the positive side of guns and personal protection, I refused to give rides based on his disrespect and attitude towered me, and always complaining about my style of driving. Why should I continue to waste my gas and time going out of my way to help him? I actually enjoy the peace and quite and listening to talk radio during my commute now, the guy was always interrupting Michael Savage on the radio:mad:

#14 ·
40S&WMAN said:
Honestly, I tried to explain the positive side of guns and personal protection, I refused to give rides based on his disrespect and attitude towered me, and always complaining about my style of driving. Why should I continue to waste my gas and time going out of my way to help him? I actually enjoy the peace and quite and listening to talk radio during my commute now, the guy was always interrupting Michael Savage on the radio:mad:
Well with that said and him giving ya a hard time and know some people you just cant reach .. yep he would have rode the bus home or walked not my problem nor would i waste the gas

#15 ·
Honestly, I tried to explain the positive side of guns and personal protection, I refused to give rides based on his disrespect and attitude towered me, and always complaining about my style of driving. Why should I continue to waste my gas and time going out of my way to help him? I actually enjoy the peace and quite and listening to talk radio during my commute now, the guy was always interrupting Michael Savage on the radio
Well...it seems like you did your best and thats all you can do:hand10:
No sense in taking any crap...escpecially from a disrespectful punk.

#17 ·
Sounds like you did right. Give him a chance, try to educate him. Then turn him out. I don't have a problem helping out the anti's at my work, but then again they are respectful in manners and of my opinions.

And you are right, it is nice to have a quiet ride in to listen to the radio.

#18 ·
why don't you invite him to the range where you shoot. rent a 22 and show him how to handle a handgun. it might be great fun for the guy. at the very least you can go out for BBQ after the range.

if he declines that is ok. you will have offered a fun activity, male bonding, lunch and the like.

as far as who rides in your car? that's your business.

#19 ·
40S&WMAN said:
I actually enjoy the peace and quite and listening to talk radio during my commute now, the guy was always interrupting Michael Savage on the radio:mad:
Me too! I have a 45 minute drive twice a week. I listen to the local talk show (KFYI - Barry Young morning and Joe Crummey in the evening) or pop in a CD. I get enough conversation at work. Driving home is my personal time....:wink:

#20 ·
well, in that case you gave it a great effort
I'd quit giving him rides if he complained about the driving too
(not to mention interrupting Michael Savage lol)

#21 ·
Interrupting Michael Savage?
In some places he'd be put in a harness and made to pull the car home! HA!

#22 ·
I have to agree with you, HotGuns. That was an opportunity missed.

If I were you I'd tell the guys you were sorry for being so short with him and let him know that if he'd really like to know why you carry, you'll be happy to explain some time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.