Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some States like Texas that have specific signage banning weapons, a.k.a 30.06 and there are many States that do not have such laws.

So, my question is.....Would you like your State legislature to initiate and pass signage laws where current laws do not exist?

I live in Louisiana (not by choice). The State Assembly is about to take up the non-resident Florida permit deal during the next session. While that are at it, what is you opinion in putting a bug in their ear to pass signage laws. Is it better to leave the subject vague or have specific laws?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I would have to know more about the laws of La?

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
No, I shall not once again post that "Did Forza Coffee Shop have gun-ban sign?", a better letter that could and should be printed by better editors...but probably will not be you see.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I lived in Texas and now live in Idaho so I have experienced both sides of this issue. I kind of like the signage laws but when it comes down to it I don't. At least if the law is like it is in Idaho.
In Texas a person would have to post a specific sign that meets certain requirements in order to post a place. If you have you CHL and ignore the sign you could get arrested and/or fined. I remember seeing places posted with the legal signs and with the illegal (which you could ignore) Unlicensed pos of a weapon.... signs. Every gas station had an unlicensed possession sign.
Now in Idaho there are no sign laws. Even if there was a sign it is not as serious offense as it would be in Texas if you ignored it. There are no signs for you to not see and get arrested if you failed to obey. All they can do up here is ask you to leave the premises. If you don't then you can get a trespassing charge. As a result I have not seen a single place posted with any kind of sign trying to bar firearms.
So when it comes down to it I prefer not having any kind of sign law. Life is actually easier without it and it is one less legal liability to have to worry about.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Better off without the signs. In Mississippi the person having control over the property can tell you "no guns". But if you are concealed why would they even bring it up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I lived in Texas and now live in Idaho so I have experienced both sides of this issue. I kind of like the signage laws but when it comes down to it I don't. At least if the law is like it is in Idaho.
In Texas a person would have to post a specific sign that meets certain requirements in order to post a place. If you have you CHL and ignore the sign you could get arrested and/or fined. I remember seeing places posted with the legal signs and with the illegal (which you could ignore) Unlicensed pos of a weapon.... signs. Every gas station had an unlicensed possession sign.
Now in Idaho there are no sign laws. Even if there was a sign it is not as serious offense as it would be in Texas if you ignored it. There are no signs for you to not see and get arrested if you failed to obey. All they can do up here is ask you to leave the premises. If you don't then you can get a trespassing charge. As a result I have not seen a single place posted with any kind of sign trying to bar firearms.
So when it comes down to it I prefer not having any kind of sign law. Life is actually easier without it and it is one less legal liability to have to worry about.
And yet another reason I wan to move to Couer D'Alene :yup:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I remember seeing places posted with the legal signs and with the illegal (which you could ignore) Unlicensed pos of a weapon.... signs. Every gas station had an unlicensed possession sign.
I have rarely seen an improperly posted "unlicensed possession. . ." sign here in Texas. Almost every gas station is required to post them because they sell beer and wine.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
My daughter's Pediatrician's office has an improperly posted "gunbuster" sign. I carry there regularly. I'm pretty sure he has "made" me because my carry gun is a G21SF and it prints real bad if I have to bend over (holding a todler down for a shot..etc) but printing is legal here and so is concealed carry as long as you have not been given "effective notice". Effective notice is either verbal communication OR a sign that properly conforms to the 30.06 standard. No other sign is "effective notice" The doc has never given me a verbal notice so I will carry there.

Grapevine Mills mall has a properly posted 30.06 sign that I have had to turn around and store my Glock in my car before proceeding. We havent been back. I wont support any business that is a safe zone for gun toting criminals

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
sorry folks, in this one SINGLE instance, WA has it correct.
there is a list of places that you are not allowed to carry.
middle school, high school, restricted area of airports, restricted area of jails, court house, any reservation without writen permition. and one dumb item added. outdoor concerts that hold more then xx people in a permanent location (the gorge). eather then those you are free to carry. you may be asked by a property owner to leave but your not breaking the law.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Why would you want those signs in your state??

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
No more laws of any kind, why persue sinage...let it go!:blink:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I don't want anyone stepping on my rights, so I won't step on a business owners right.

In CO the sign means squat (I have yet to see one). My choice to patronize or not. If I get made/caught, they have to tell me to leave etc.

Now for the Official Gov't locations and so on, I would prefer the word "illegal" inserted before the word firearm/weapon and/or possession, just as I would prefer my companies policy inserted the same word in the same place.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My daughter's Pediatrician's office has an improperly posted "gunbuster" sign. I carry there regularly. I'm pretty sure he has "made" me because my carry gun is a G21SF and it prints real bad if I have to bend over (holding a todler down for a shot..etc) but printing is legal here and so is concealed carry as long as you have not been given "effective notice". Effective notice is either verbal communication OR a sign that properly conforms to the 30.06 standard. No other sign is "effective notice" The doc has never given me a verbal notice so I will carry there.
My Doctors office has a similar (incorrect) sign, but is connected by an open drive-thru covered walkway to a Hospital.....I was unsure whether it would be legal to carry or not, so I left my weapon in the car.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I will not give my business to any place that is a gun-free zone. I carry concealed AND open so If I dont see a sign I carry, if I see a sign, I wont give them my business. Personally I would LOVE for new laws to be passed, like no more gun-free zones for one and something like sticks said, change the signs to read "It is illegal to posses a firearm on these premises UNLESS you are a (insert what your state calls a LTCF here) holder..." It would be nice, but it will more than likely turn out like the 50 state reciprocal thing did back in january I think it was, lost by 2 votes, but we can always try again for changes in these laws!
~Steve

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would rather not have signs that carry any weight. If they ask you to leave for carrying then you just don't come back. Then they can see the immediate result of banning carry by your statement of "no guns, no money", and with the sign the potential customer never makes it in the door.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
There are some States like Texas that have specific signage banning weapons, a.k.a 30.06 and there are many States that do not have such laws.

So, my question is.....Would you like your State legislature to initiate and pass signage laws where current laws do not exist?

I live in Louisiana (not by choice). The State Assembly is about to take up the non-resident Florida permit deal during the next session. While that are at it, what is you opinion in putting a bug in their ear to pass signage laws. Is it better to leave the subject vague or have specific laws?
I would think that you would prefer to NOT have the signage specified. I guess it depends on the current/new law. Will signs carry any weight under the law. If they are all unenforcable or only require that you leave if asked then that is the best. If violation of a no gun sign is a criminal charge then maybe a situation as in texas where the sign has to be very specific in wording, size and location leaves you more loopholes to ignore the sign.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Hospitals in Texas have to post 30.06 if they do not want people to carry

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hospitals in Texas have to post 30.06 if they do not want people to carry
I was under the (mis)understanding that Hospitals were a NO carry zone then......:embarassed:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts