Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my company just got acquired, effective last week. I just got the new employee agreement paperwork when I saw the clause I was dreading to see.
"Employees are forbidden from possessing any weapon while working, operating, or in <companyname> vehicles, present on <companyname> premises,
etc etc etc.

Pisses me off. I liked this job, and I liked my coworkers, but I need to figure out what I should do here. Should I just ignore it? How do you guys deal with this?

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Sorry, Nitro, don't know what to tell ya. For sure, it's a crummy situation from a CCWer's POV, but only you can decide what to do about it.

FWIW, I'm 60 days away from full retirement (then I can go shooting every day if I want to). If this was my situtation, I'd probably advance my retirement date.

Best I can do, amigo. Best of luck.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Nitro
I'm also a Network Engineer (Out of work currently)
With the job market what it is, in my area anyway, I'd suggest you deal with it.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hard to say without knowing the details. If caught, would the management press charges? That could jeopardize your permit status ... and possibly involve jail depending on where you work. Lots of variables to weigh out before you make that kind of decision.
Jack

·
Registered
569 Posts
If "made" carrying in a restaurant that wants to prohibit "our kind of people" you will be asked to not come back. Can you afford this with your job?

My suggestion would be to play by the rules on this one.

Can you opt for carrying a pocket knife for an added edge if the need should arise? Obviously, this would be much easier to explain away if confronted than a pistol would be.

·
Registered
822 Posts
It's a personal decision. Only you can weigh the options with the consequences and then go from there.

Good luck to you, sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Personally, I'd stay and look for a new job. I'd make sure that they knew why I was leaving as well. Granted, this is all if I could find a new job. Network Engineer x 3 though. :wave:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the same problem in michigan...company does not allow weapons on premises...so far I've left it home when i go into the office, but probably should put it in the car

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not totally up to speed on the Texas codes, but does the 30.06 ordnance apply to companies, or just places/businesses that the public routinely has access to?

I only ask because, as I understand it from others I've read being from Texas, without the "official" 30.06 sign posted, they can't prohibit it.

Again, don't know if it's different for "public" v. private places.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Nitro - this does indeed suck big time.

As you have seen, no one really has a perfect answer, and only you can make the decisions but - I'd think maybe a job is important and so stay put and try and swallow it - difficult tho that must be - and then see if over time you can find an alternative. Then, tell em why when you leave.

I know often the ''excuse'' given is - ''oh, it's our insurance'' but to be honest I wonder if the decision-makers ever think this whole thing thru - and if they did might realize that it will not stop a fruitcake coming in one day (to an unarmed workplace) creating mayhem!

These ''blanket'' policies are IMO ill founded.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I keep mine in the car anyway,unless they get a warrant and go thru everyones cars ,how they gonna Know ! And If they do find out and fire you ,draw unemployment and tell em to kiss youre arse

·
Registered
753 Posts
No 30.06 sign? Then it's legal. If found out, there would not be legal issues involved.

However, as a condition of employment, THEY decide the terms and they could fire you.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
deep concealment is the answer.
ssshhhh !..........no one the wiser.... :ziplip:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Petition the management. This may be a very old rule from the new company. They may be open to suggestions. Scenarios help.

Good Luck

·
Registered
988 Posts
I know how you feel. I absolutely cannot carry at work, period. I lock it up in the car.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I know how you feel at least. I'm in the Navy and can't carry either to or from work, to say nothing about while in uniform. I could just see the court martial on that!! lol

As others have said I think you are going to have to balance the job market, trouble you would get in if caught and family concerns and make the best decision you can.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Play by the rules, especially if you like earning a paycheck and you like working there, but keep looking for something else if you want. Another network engineer who's enjoying employment right now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts