Defensive Carry banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love a 1911 frame but in 9mm. My reasons are reduced recoil and ammo cost. However I have read in several threads that some 1911 gun makes that have re-chambered to ammo other than 45acp have experienced issues with FTF problems. So I started this thread to solicit responses from owners of 1911 frames other than 45acp to post their experiences.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't have one but I've heard alot of good things about the Sprinfield Armory EMP

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
The 1911 was designed to be a .45 plain and simple.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patriotrick do you have negative experiences with 1911 frame handguns chambered in calibers other than 45 or is that just your opinion? If you have had problems or successes I would love to here them.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I've got a Colt in .38 Super that I drop a 9mm barrel in for cheap shooting. Never an issue with either caliber.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
1911 other than .45

I have 1000 rounds without a problem through this 10mm Colt. But the ammo costs as much as .45, maybe more.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The only 1911 style pistol in 9mm that I've had any dealings with is my Colt Combat Commander in 9mm. Shoots great, no functioning problems at all. Very enjoyable as there is very little recoil.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a Para LTC in 9mm. It's a commander-sized 1911. I've never had a failure of any sort with it. I have 1,000+ rounds through it, use it almost weekly in IDPA, and absolutely love it. It's sights, weight and dimensions are an exact match to my SW 1911PD, which until just recently was my daily carry gun. So it was a less expensive way to train with my carry configuration.

I've also owned two SA loaded 5" 1911's in 9mm. Still kicking myself for selling them. They were great guns also.

"Trucks should only have two doors."
"Deer should only be shot with a .30-30."
"Anything other than a Harley isn't a real motorcycle."

Ignore comments like those as well as "A 1911 should only be a .45." Everyone has their preferences and biases. That doesn't make them right. There are thousands of people shooting 1911's in 9mm, .38 super, and 10mm without any issues at all.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I have a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 'Loaded' 9MM Target model that has been nothing but reliable.
Many others report same for the same model.

I would have zero issue referring same to anyone interested in a 9MM 1911.

- Janq

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been looking hard at either a Kimber Aegis ultra or Springfield EMP 9MM. Both are rather hard to come by. The EMP seems to have great feedback from owners. There does not seem to be as many Kimber aegis out there as there are EMP.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Patriotrick do you have negative experiences with 1911 frame handguns chambered in calibers other than 45 or is that just your opinion? If you have had problems or successes I would love to here them.
No, I'm just saying that's the way it was designed in the first place, I would only go with .45 JMHO

·
Banned
123 Posts
I own a few 1911's in 38 Super and 45 but never was interested in 9mm. I have shot the 38 supers for IPSC and Bianci events to make power factor many years ago.

Even carry a Colt LW commander in 38 super from time to time. 9's are available and ammo is somewhat reasonable but I just dont have any interest in the 9mm for my collection when I have the 38 super.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry in 9mm with over 4,000 flawless rounds through it. Couldn't ask for a better shooting, more reliable gun.

Had the same gun in .45 and traded it for the 9mm because I shoot a lot and 9mm ammo was just easier to get and a lot less expensive.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My wife's carry is a 9mm Llama. At first it had lots of problems, but after new springs it works great.

While I prefer the .45, the recoil is a big thing for her.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts