Defensive Carry banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Kansas and most of the other states recognize my Kansas CCW permit.

I have never understood the Non Resident permit. If most of the other states recognize my permit why would I want to apply for a Non Resident permit from another state? Would I apply to a state that I travel to that doesn't recognize my Kansas permit?

Thanks, Bill

·
Banned
3,119 Posts

I have never understood the Non Resident permit. If most of the other states recognize my permit why would I want to apply for a Non Resident permit from another state? Would I apply to a state that I travel to that doesn't recognize my Kansas permit?

Thanks, Bill
You got it. Most states recognize my VA permit except, for one example, Georgia. So I also got a Utah nonresident which allows me to carry in Georgia and a few othe states. With both permits, Im allowed to carry in 36 or 38 states in total.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
To carry legally in states that don't recognize mine, which is alot of them. I have permits from Illinois, Utah and Florida. That covers me for most places I travel except Colorado.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
I just looked up KS on handgun law, you don't need to apply for any non res permits! Wow! The only states you can't carry in won't let you have one or let you carry anyway so you're good.

Some of us aren't so lucky. Having a non res from Wa and AZ gets me into just about as many states as yours.

Reactions: SIGP250

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everyone's comments and to CWOUSCG for checking Kansas on handgun law! Now I understand about Non Resident permits!

Reactions: LeanHard

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I just looked up KS on handgun law, you don't need to apply for any non res permits! Wow! The only states you can't carry in won't let you have one or let you carry anyway so you're good.

Some of us aren't so lucky. Having a non res from Wa and AZ gets me into just about as many states as yours.
Every state except for Delaware, but Kansas has more states than I get with a VA and UT permit.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts

·
Registered
45,381 Posts
Because some think permits are like merit badges.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I live in Oregon on the border of WA, and I can't carry in WA unless I have a non-resident permit as there's no reciprocity between OR and WA.

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
A number of reasons. Convenience, it might be cheaper than the permit in your state, or they might offer states that yours doesnt. Florida permits used to allow Louisiana residents to carry in Louisiana and Arkansas, but a Louisiana permit didnt allow them to carry in Arkansas, so people got Florida permits instead of Louisiana permits. Its just another option to have.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have several...not many states honor my MA LTC, including nearby NH.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in Oregon on the border of WA, and I can't carry in WA unless I have a non-resident permit as there's no reciprocity between OR and WA.
I'm the opposite, live in Washington but have to go down to Portland to pick up supplies pretty often, trying to find a sheriff that's sympathetic to the 2A so I can get my non residence there.

·
Registered
204 Posts
When I lived in CA I couldn't get a permit from my County, so had to resort to using Non Resident permits. This at least covered me when out of my home state and in a state the my NR permits covered me. I had UT, NV, & AZ as NR permits. The other factor of picking up NR permits for states you frequently visit is some of the interpretations of how well your Out of State permit covers you as far as the Federal Gun Free School zone law goes - some folks believe the wording gives only coverage for folks issued a permit by **that** state.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts

Thanks, Bill
Get a Utah or Arizona non-resident, and it will catch a few States that Kansas doesn't. Mine is Kansas and non-resident Utah. Either are easy to get, although Utah requires a class, it's no biggy since most of the laws are nearly the same, but you'll pick up what the few exceptions and differences are.

If you travel to some areas, definitely beneficial. Also, what if .... you are traveling and lose it ? You still should have the other one to use until you get back and a replacement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts