Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a NC permit, which is honored in TN where we have a camper that we spend 3 - 4 days a week in during the warmer months.
What would the benefit be for me to have a non-resident TN permit? None that I can think of. NC is honored about everywhere except some of the New England areas, CA etc. so I don't understand why some people get non resident permits in states than accept yours. Thanks!

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
protects you against felony charges under the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act.

·
Registered
605 Posts
One of the only things that I can think of is to be covered in the case of a change in honoring/reciprocity. Hopefully that will never take place between the two states, but you never know.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I first had a PA permit because we camped there. Ohio had none. Then my brother moved to Florida so I got a Florida Permit. We started spending the winter in Florida. Finally Ohio became a free state and I got a Ohio Permit. Now that PA recognizes Ohio I let the PA permit drop. My Florida Permit expires in 2018. I may let it go also. It would save me $117.

·
Registered
309 Posts
This is always a question "To renew or not to renew"?
Unless you are strapped for cash, I would go ahead and renew; Just because.....You never know.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
MI carriers claim to have found an omission in the purchase law. I'll try to explain it (inal, and we know gun legislation is convoluted by "common sense" anyway)

In mi, you must get a purchase permit prior to purchasing a pistol. it gets signed at your local pd and notarized. if you have a mi cpl, you can print off a similar form at the time of purchase, and your cpl counts as a bgc. either way, one copy of the purchase permit must be sent to the state police. MI claims this is not "registration", just a list of the purchaser, serial #, caliber, make, model filed with the state police :rolleyes: . mi only issues cc permits ti mi residents.

here is the claimed loophole. the statute specifically requires that process for all mi residents. it does not mention non-residents. some people claim that using a non-resident cc permit from another state allows you to be absolved from the purchase permit process, thus no need to send anything to the state police.

the mi bgc guideline does not specify that a mi cpl must be used in place of a bgc. any carry permit can be used in place of the bgc. so, mi residents are getting PA, UT, FL non-resident permits to purchase pistols without the MSP purchase permit. they still fill out the 4473 if they purchase from a FFL.

I had surgery last night, so i apologize if this is incoherent prescription induced babble! :doc02:

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
My Utah permit covers most places I go. I haven't felt the need to get an out of state permit. I am sure that I am missing some advantages in doing it this way but I'm happy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have my Oregon permit but also a Arizona one that is recognized by Nevada. I will be getting a Washington one so I can carry there as well if I visit family up there. I hate to go unarmed..

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
No reason for a NC CHP holster to worry about a non res TN permit . Camp away . Just be up to speed on there laws just like you do with our Nc laws .

·
Registered
41,518 Posts
I first had a PA permit because we camped there. Ohio had none. Then my brother moved to Florida so I got a Florida Permit. We started spending the winter in Florida. Finally Ohio became a free state and I got a Ohio Permit. Now that PA recognizes Ohio I let the PA permit drop. My Florida Permit expires in 2018. I may let it go also. It would save me $117.
Actually it's only about $55 if you renew in person at a Dept of A&CS regional office. But, yeah, if your OH permit is good here, no real need to renew the FL permit.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Actually it's only about $55 if you renew in person at a Dept of A&CS regional office. But, yeah, if your OH permit is good here, no real need to renew the FL permit.
Ohio permits have expanded their reciprocity so, better than when it first started. My Florida Permit dosen't expire until 2018. I have time to think about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts