Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone interested in obtaining a nonresident concealed carry license (CCL) in Illinois, be advised the list of approved states (those deemed "substantially similar") has changed.

Previously, only residents of Virginia, Hawaii, New Mexico, or South Carolina with a license from their home states could apply to obtain an Illinois license, if they are willing to take the required 16-hour training, pay a $300 fee, etc.

As of today, the list of states changed. Residents of Hawaii, New Mexico, and South Carolina no longer qualify. The new list consists of Virginia (retained from before), Arkansas, Mississippi, and Texas.

I don't know what will happen to current IL CCL licensees from NM and SC (there are none from Hawaii). Illinois has a practice of cancelling licenses when a resident moves to another state, so these folks may have their 5-year license term cut short. So much for the $300 fee!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow.. That's crazy. I always thought the Va reciprocity was weird, and I'm a Va guy.

Illinois..... So sad.

Do you have a link?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't you-all come crowding in now. Last stats I saw, at 3 years out, there're still less than 40 non-resident IL carry licensees issued.
Yes, still under 40. Most are from Virginia.

TX is a big state with lots of CHL holders. Their nonresident CCL numbers could quickly overtake the other states that were removed from the list.

A lot of military members call TX home, so at least some of them will be able to carry in Illinois now when stationed here (for a $300 fee!).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now we know what happens to the residents of the formerly substantially similar states: the Illinois State Police are revoking their licenses.

See Gary Slider's update in the "Non-Resident Permit" section of his Illinois page.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

$300 for at most 2 years of use out of those licenses... wow.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Now we know what happens to the residents of the formerly substantially similar states: the Illinois State Police are revoking their licenses.

See Gary Slider's update in the "Non-Resident Permit" section of his Illinois page.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

$300 for at most 2 years of use out of those licenses... wow.
I'm hoping someone takes this up and sues the state, and destroys this stupid law.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two lawsuits are already underway regarding the nonresident licensing laws in Illinois. One went to the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals as a preliminary injunction and was denied, now back in District court with both sides moving for a summary judgment. The other is in County Circuit Court at the moment.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
That's some gubberment racket.

Take money for service/license. Then cancel the license.

Offer it up to a new bunch. How long before the new list gets vacated?

Repeat ad nauseum.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That's some gubberment racket.

Take money for service/license. Then cancel the license.

Offer it up to a new bunch. How long before the new list gets vacated?

Repeat ad nauseum.
What else would you expect from the central US enclave of leftist ideals?

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I doubt IL will ever have reciprocity with any adjacent states. Especially mine, MO.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I doubt IL will ever have reciprocity with any adjacent states. Especially mine, MO.
Illinois doesn't have reciprocity with ANY state... never has. The statute doesn't make provision for either reciprocity or recognition.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Illinois doesn't have reciprocity with ANY state... never has. The statute doesn't make provision for either reciprocity or recognition.
My bad, I should have phrased it differently. I know IL does not have reciprocity. What I meant was, approved to apply for an IL CCL permit. States that are adjacent (abut) IL like Missouri are all way too gun friendly for the liberals in IL.

I'm not far from IL. Many in IL commute to work in STL and vice versa. It would be nice if the liberal politicians in IL realized how much revenue they lose by not reciprocating with neighboring states but then Raul in Chicago and the Madigan's in Springfield wouldn't have scape goats to blame for their failure to control violent crime in and around Chicago.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Surprisingly, MO almost meets the IL "substantially similar" criteria. If the state reported its licenses to the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (NLETS), IL would accept it and you would be able to apply for an IL CCL.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Having lived in Illinois, it really should be broken up into two states. There should be the state of Chicago, preferably walled off from the rest of the state, and everywhere else in Illinois.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts