Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts about pocket carry for theNorth American Arms 22 magnum Pug.

I'm 73 & have arthritis in my hands.

I also have a Glock 42, Glock 19 & S&W 442.

The Glocks are hard track & the S&W 442 has a very hard trigger pull as well as a hard recoil.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
I am guessing spell check got you as it does me quite a bit and you are saying Glocks are hard to rack? A single action .22 derringer isn't my first choice, you may find the single action cocking of the hammer not exactly easy with a small gun and hand issues.
On top of that the caliber is pretty weak compared to pistol calibers. Maybe a tip up barrel semi auto pistol ( I believe beretta makes one) might be a better choice. Also a company makes a cocking assist device for semi autos.
Trying several pistols in the store may help you find a semi auto that you can manipulate.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
417 Posts
Like rocky suggested, something like a berreta minx would let you insert a cartridge without having to rack the slide and still small enough for pocket carry. I agree that the small size of the NAA would probably be harder to manipulate and also harder to be accurate with it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The NAA 22mag is a nice mini revolver but may not be what you need given what your complaints are about your current guns. The NAA is tiny and is kind of hard to manipulate as well as the 22mag has a little bit of a kick (esp for the small amount of grip available). I do think a revolver may be best for you if you have arthritis. You can get a trigger job done for the S&W 442 to reduce the pull by about 4 lbs (to about 7 to 8 lbs). Now the Ruger LCR has a 7 -8 lbs pull weight from the factory. If you think the recoil of a 38 special is too much then maybe a 22 mag is the best choice but you may want to try a Ruger LCR 22mag instead of the tiny NAA 22mag.

I just looked up the Baretta pistols talked about above. They look pretty cool! The Bobcat and Tomcat both have tip up barrels so you don't have to rack the slide.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I know that this coming from left field but the Sig 290RS in 380 acp has one of the easiest racking slides I've ever seen.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Tiny SA revolvers are (IMHO) like lock-blade folding knives for self defense. They require precise digital dexterity that I am NOT GONNA' HAVE during a massive adrenaline dump. May I suggest a Beretta Model 86? The tilt barrel design means no racking except to clear a FTE/FTF. The recoil spring is pretty light if you HAVE to. The .380 acp is very manageable in a metal-framed handgun. And the caliber is (questionably?) more effective. My Momma loves hers. :yup:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I would not recommend ANY rimfire cartridge for personal defense. Because of the way that the primer compound is distributed around the rim, the reliability is not on a par with centerfire cartridges.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Glock 42 and a NAA .22LR Mini among many others. Take a look at a Ruger LCR 38 Special. Double action only revolver but uses a cam system to make easy and smooth trigger pull. It is also polymer frame so only weighs about 13 ounces... Similar to your Glock 42. I would add the Crimson Trace laser sight for quick and accurate target acquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd recommend staying with both your Glock 42 and the Glock 19. If your primary problem is racking the slide then I would suggest that you work on finding alternate ways to do it more efficiently. I'm 67 have had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands and still have some issues with the fingers. Yes, I own both guns and my EDC is the Glock 42. I believe Rob Pincus has some great videos on the PDN site.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
If you type "glock slide racker" into your browser, you will find all kinds of aftermarket devices that can be attached to your Glock slide to make it easier to rack.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If you type "glock slide racker" into your browser, you will find all kinds of aftermarket devices that can be attached to your Glock slide to make it easier to rack.
That was going to be my recommendation also for the Glocks -- slide rackers. I don't have a S&W 442 but I assume a trigger job could be done, not sure what it would cost. There are 38 Special cartridges that will recoil less.
The .22 Magnum is better than nothing so get a slip holster for it and keep it in your pocket. Are you able to cock the hammer quickly?

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Have you tried a S&W M&P-22 Compact? I have one that I have used to train well over a hundred students in my CCW classes that I teach. Quite a few of my students were Seniors and various disabilities and ALL of them were able to easily rack the slide and qualify for their Concealed Weapon License with no problems. Under stress I think that the M&P would be easier to shoot than the NAA's which can be tricky to operate under stress. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
The Ruger LCR also comes in .327. That might help with the recoil. It's getting small in caliber, but there are some ok defensive loads. Your local store might not stock them though. Most people buy ammo online anyway.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts