Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I am in the correct forum.

I take my NC CCW class tomorrow (7/9/16), but reading over the Catawba County Sheriff website I noticed the following: #6, I thought this was change recently. I am reading this wrong?

Even with a permit, you may not carry a concealed handgun in the following areas:
  1. SchoolAny law enforcement or correctional facility
  2. Any space occupied by state or federal employees
  3. A financial institution
  4. Any premises where the carrying of a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a statement by the controller of the premises
  5. Educational property (See NC House Bill 937 for restrictions)
  6. Areas of assemblies or demonstrations
  7. Even with a permit, you may not carry a concealed handgun in the following areas:
  8. SchoolAny law enforcement or correctional facility
  9. Any space occupied by state or federal employees
  10. A financial institution
  11. Any premises where the carrying of a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a statement by the controller of the premises
  12. Educational property (See NC House Bill 937 for restrictions)
  13. Areas of assemblies or demonstrations
Sheriff's Office: Concealed Hangun Permits - Official Internet Home of Catawba County, NC Government

·
Administrator
143,595 Posts
Sorry for the slight delay in your post becoming visible to forum members.

You are a new member with an active link in your thread post and that causes your thread to automatically go into Moderation as a function of the SPAM catching feature.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I don't live in NC but that looks right (at least by NC standards, not mine) which part did you think changed? The only real change that I'm aware of is that you can now carry into establishments that sell booze as long as you don't drink. But they seem to have correctly dropped that from the list.

·
Super Moderator
16,864 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so their website has not been updated yet. I seem to remember reading something in the past about parades / funeral and new that got removed. I just did not see anything listed as "Areas of assemblies or demonstrations". I know they also removed the restriction of going into a paid assembly (theater) . Something to talk about tomorrow during class if not covered directly. BTW thanks for the quick response and no problem about the delay in posting.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
I thought Texas carry laws were restrictive, these NC laws seem even worse. " Any space occupied by state or federal employees" ? Wow, how would you know that? Would that include a large shopping mall, doesn't specify if the employees are on duty. Any financial institution, that could mean many different places, even a WM( which usually have a bank inside). Anyhow, welcome ddbrown and greetings from the great state of Texas. You have found the best forum on the net for gun related discussions. You can learn much here from lots and lots of good folks. I surely have, so visit often. Congrats on your CCW class, hope your permit won't be far behind. Glad to have you amongst us.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
So in NC you can't take your gun into the bank? How stupid.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
State or federal employees refers to work places if I understand correctly. For example, if half of a building is occupied by state employees and the other half by private companies, you can still carry in the private areas.

Financial institutions are no longer off limits, though all the ones I've seen are posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
That has been changed for several years. Legal unless it is posted by the bank. Posting carries the weight of the law in NC

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hello ddb ... Welcome and congrats on your decision to join the ranks of those who take responsibility for their personal defense. Practice often, carry everywhere legal and stay safe :35:

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Yup, there are tons of fail in things that haven't been updated on websites.

If you happen to get this message prior to your class the biggest suggestion I can make is WRITE DOWN any questions you have. The NC course if taught correctly is jammed to the gills with info you need and it's REAL easy for questions to slip your mind.

The law requires a MINIMUM of 8 hours CLASS plus qualification time.

Good luck and remember, the class isn't there to teach you all you need. It's there to get you started and give you the tools to continue your learning safely.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, I'd be happy to help.

It's also required that a MINIMUM of 2 of those class hours are spent on NC laws governing concealed carry and the use of deadly force. I've been doing the class for years and I've NEVER had a class with only 2 hours of law. It usually runs about 3 to 4 hours at least.

Edited to add:

The folks at the sheriffs office in Catawba county have always been real good to me when I have helped walk students through the process. They'll get you going right.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Welcome to dc, and those laws look just like Illinois laws, you get to carry at home and at the gas station, that's about it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Welcome to dc, and those laws look just like Illinois laws, you get to carry at home and at the gas station, that's about it.
I wouldn't say that...I can carry most places I go...work, church, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, all restaurants I've been to so far, all businesses I've been to so far (with the exception of malls, movie theaters and banks). And the exceptions are due to postings, not laws against them. I do have to watch government buildings, as I have to visit building permit offices occasionally.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Both NC and SC are a bit more restrictive than they should be. I spend a couple weeks or more each year in NC or SC and don't really enjoy it all that much because of some of the dumb gun laws but comparing it to IL is a bit far out. NC is a bit more reasonable that SC for the most part but they both have a ways to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello,

Thank you for your comments. I did take the class and found the teacher to differ from the law on a few spots. Just one example: Duty to Inform. The way I read the law, NC requires me to inform the officer ONLY when I am carrying. If I am not carrying I do not have a duty to inform that I am a permit holder. "shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, " The instructor said it was the law that I inform either way. I can see it may be a good idea that I inform the officer (tied to my DL) and inform him/her I am not carrying. But not the law as stated by the instructor. Unless I read the quote above wrong. I am from SC and had a CWP in SC and found the law a bit clearer than NC. May have been our instructor.. I will be heading over to Catawba in a few min to start the process. Thanks again for the comments.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Your instructor was incorrect if he stated it was required to inform LE when not carrying concealed.

There are two camps on whether or not it's a good idea to disclose when not carrying, one says it shows you are trying to reduce any questions if the officer find you have a CHP when he runs your drivers license, the other view is that why should you bring the topic of firearms into the stop and add another possible misunderstanding with an officer.

Edited to add: This is the NC statute as written with underlining, bolding, and color added by me:

The underlined is the pertinent section with the bold being the part addressing notification, and the red is part of the conditions that need to be met for notification to be required.
§ 14-415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.
I'd be curious as to where you took your class. PM me if you wouldn't mind.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
887 Posts
Congrats on taking the class. How long is the wait time to get your permit? Have heard that alot of counties especially Buncombe have a long wait time due to the number of people seeking their permits. Hopefully won't be long for you.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
"# 2 Any space occupied by state or federal employees" doesn't make sense (if this is how it is actually written). I suspect most McDonald's, Wendy's, etc. are occupied by state or federal employees at lunch time.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
"# 2 Any space occupied by state or federal employees" doesn't make sense (if this is how it is actually written). I suspect most McDonald's, Wendy's, etc. are occupied by state or federal employees at lunch time.
You can't go by what is posted in the original post. It's a very abbreviated set of cliff notes that is in no way complete.

The complete statute http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-415.11.html Clairifys that it's accually
(6) In a building housing only State or federal offices.

(7) In an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government.
So you really need to know the statutes to insure you truly understand the intent of the law.

The sheriffs website has to cater to the lowest common denominator in people that only do the bare minimum research before carrying.

That's why such a large percentage of the required class is spent on laws of NC.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats on taking the class. How long is the wait time to get your permit? Have heard that alot of counties especially Buncombe have a long wait time due to the number of people seeking their permits. Hopefully won't be long for you.
I went Monday at lunch time. It took about 45 min to go through the process of filling out the paperwork and fingerprints. Now we will see how long it takes to get the permit back. In SC, it was 60 days and here they say allow for 90. Time will tell.

At the time I had my SC permit, Georgia and SC did not reciprocate. So I have my non-resident Utah permit that is still honored in NC while I wait for my NC resident permit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts