Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RALEIGH, North Carolina (WTVD) -- There is a new push to repeal North Carolina's "Stand Your Ground" law.

House Bill 723, which is being called the "Gun Safety Act," is scheduled to be introduced in the General Assembly Tuesday.

It would allow a person to use deadly force in self-defense only after using every reasonable means to avoid the danger - including retreating.

The bill would also strengthen the law regarding safe storage of firearms.

Currently, there are 26 states with "stand your ground" laws, including North Carolina.

Go to link for link to the bill.

New push to repeal North Carolina's 'Stand Your Ground' law | abc11.com

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Liberals are putting up this kind of legislation everywhere all the time. I love the catchy "safety" name. It should be called "The criminal protection act" :smile:

·
Super Moderator
19,161 Posts
This should be labeled The Criminal Protection Act and to require $100,000 insurance to own a gun, no way.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Welcome to New Jersey.........that's how it starts.
Except in NC it will die in committee. This kind of crap gets introduced in FL all the time but never sees the light of day. We arn't making a lot of progress but at least we aren't going backwards and I doubt NC will either.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Since the libs know no US bill like that would be signed by the current President they are focusing on the states.

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Banned
894 Posts
Minnesota has a duty to retreat, if possible. If you decide that retreat is unsafe and your life or well being is in danger, you can defend yourself. Doesn't appear to be a problem. If you shoot a BG running out your door with your favorite TV, you do not shoot. The lawyers fees would be higher than the replacement cost anyway. You do have a right to try to recover your TV-you can give chase. If the BG attempts to draw a weapon, you can defend yourself.

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Minnesota has a duty to retreat, if possible. If you decide that retreat is unsafe and your life or well being is in danger, you can defend yourself. Doesn't appear to be a problem. If you shoot a BG running out your door with your favorite TV, you do not shoot. The lawyers fees would be higher than the replacement cost anyway. You do have a right to try to recover your TV-you can give chase. If the BG attempts to draw a weapon, you can defend yourself.
One problem with that. Yes the law may state you can defend yourself in that situation, it's really not YOU that decided. It's a jury. And the layers fees would be just as high.

-Greg

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
This is pretty bad for NC. It would be an appropriate discussion under the 2A legislation. Here is a link to the bill:
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2017/Bills/House/HTML/H723v0.html
Among other 2A infringments, here are two more:

TO REQUIRE ANY PERSON WHO OWNS A FIREARM TO CARRY FIREARM LIABILITY INSURANCE

AND TO AUTHORIZE THE COURTS TO ISSUE A GUN VIOLENCE RESTRAINING ORDER AND ESTABLISH A PROCEDURE FOR THE ISSUANCE OR DENIAL OF THE RESTRAINING ORDER.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
This is pretty bad for NC. It would be an appropriate discussion under the 2A legislation. Here is a link to the bill:
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2017/Bills/House/HTML/H723v0.html
Among other 2A infringments, here are two more:

TO REQUIRE ANY PERSON WHO OWNS A FIREARM TO CARRY FIREARM LIABILITY INSURANCE

AND TO AUTHORIZE THE COURTS TO ISSUE A GUN VIOLENCE RESTRAINING ORDER AND ESTABLISH A PROCEDURE FOR THE ISSUANCE OR DENIAL OF THE RESTRAINING ORDER.
I just want to know which insurance companies are lobbying for this; it sounds like a pretty lucrative deal for them. Absolutely ridiculous!

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
@marshallman I don't think insurance companies need to lobby for this. The anti 2A progressives have found every way possible to inflate the cost of bearing arms. This is effectively a gun tax.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Citizens of Asheville will like it.
If the citizens of Asheville had their way we wouldn't even be able to own a gun. Funny thing is, Asheville is always in the news for violent crimes.

Reactions: Instymp

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
A question for those that live in NC:

What are the chances this bill gets passed? I'm asking because I'm supposed to be moving to NC in June (Henderson County).

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
A question for those that live in NC:

What are the chances this bill gets passed? I'm asking because I'm supposed to be moving to NC in June (Henderson County).
T.....it isn't likely to gain much momentum IMO. It's never a happy thing to hear such nonsense being introduced but I'm not overly concerned. We have a conservative majority at this point, save the Gov himself, and they're frying fish all over the place. I don't think this will catch much air.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
T.....it isn't likely to gain much momentum IMO. It's never a happy thing to hear such nonsense being introduced but I'm not overly concerned. We have a conservative majority at this point, save the Gov himself, and they're frying fish all over the place. I don't think this will catch much air.
I figured it wasn't likely, but I wanted to ask just the same. Thanks savheartland.

·
Registered
982 Posts
NC is changing.. Fully 1/3 of the residents of NC were not born there.. massive influx from the NE states.. While state govt positions are still majority Republican, these are NOT southern conservatives in the traditional sense. Remember, Obama won NC, and Romney only won by 2 points.. Hillary was polling right there with Trump, but he did beat her by 6 points.. Just trying to show that NC is now considered a "swing state", and it has a LOT of liberals, and they have a LOT of power.. These sorts of bills will continue to get introduced by leftists until they get a "compromise" that sticks.. Once that happens, it will be only a matter of time.. Believe me, I have seen first hand what liberals can do to gun laws on a state by state basis, and sadly NC is becoming more liberal each year... bob

1 - 20 of 28 Posts