Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a FL resident permit.
I am confused as to whether I can carry concealed in my car. The section in Handgunlaw seems to say that guns in cars must be exposed. Is this only if you don't have a permit?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
NC honors your FL permit, and as such you may carry concealed on your person in your car. You may also carry it concealed in the center console or glove box if you prefer. The references to open carry only apply to those who wish to transport a firearm without a permit. Note, NC only allows for handguns to be concealed legally. Long guns, knives (other than an ordinary pocket knife) and other weapons can not be carried concealed.

Just DO NOT FORGET that any official interaction with a LEO requires that you notify IMMEDIATELY that you have a concealed carry permit and are currently carrying concealed. NC requires that you notify LEO of carrying concealed. It's best to notify first and wait for the officer to ask to see ID and permit (per statute).

Any other questions feel free to ask!

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bullseye;I went to Handgunlaw to check but it wasn't clear to me.
I did catch the LEO notification piece though.
Funny;in FL gun in car,off person,no permit must be concealed or enclosed in glove box/console. Opposite of NC.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Thanks Bullseye;I went to Handgunlaw to check but it wasn't clear to me.
I did catch the LEO notification piece though.
Funny;in FL gun in car,off person,no permit must be concealed or enclosed in glove box/console. Opposite of NC.
You're quite welcome. I guess we're lucky that traffic laws don't vary from state to state as much as carry laws do otherwise we'd never venture out of our own states so carry laws wouldn't matter.

Stay safe and let us know if you're heading our way.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts

Just DO NOT FORGET that any official interaction with a LEO requires that you notify IMMEDIATELY that you have a concealed carry permit and are currently carrying concealed. NC requires that you notify LEO of carrying concealed. It's best to notify first and wait for the officer to ask to see ID and permit (per statute).
Sorry but this is COMPLETELY ERRONEOUS. The law only requires that you notify that you have a permit if approached or addressed by a LEO in NC.

Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina.
It's OK though. Almost everyone makes this mistake. Only one or two states require you talk about the firearm. Most don't even require disclosure of permit if you are not carrying, though I don't know how you'd avoid getting arrested if you didn't disclose your permit (iow, kept silent).

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Sorry but this is COMPLETELY ERRONEOUS. The law only requires that you notify that you have a permit if approached or addressed by a LEO in NC.

It's OK though. Almost everyone makes this mistake. Only one or two states require you talk about the firearm. Most don't even require disclosure of permit if you are not carrying, though I don't know how you'd avoid getting arrested if you didn't disclose your permit (iow, kept silent).
Care to quote your North Carolina state statutes that make what I said "COMPLETELY ERRONEOUS"?

And what "mistake" do you feel I made in NC law?

You may wish to read the NC statutes a bit more carefully before offering legal advise.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree with NC Bullseye

From the NC DOJ website: To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina, you must:

Carry your permit and a valid form of identification with you at all times.
Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina.
Inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun.
Present both the permit and valid identification at the request of an officer
NOTE: You should not attempt to display either your weapon or your permit unless directed to by an officer.

Reactions: Bandit99

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
NC honors your FL permit, and as such you may carry concealed on your person in your car. You may also carry it concealed in the center console or glove box if you prefer. The references to open carry only apply to those who wish to transport a firearm without a permit. Note, NC only allows for handguns to be concealed legally. Long guns, knives (other than an ordinary pocket knife) and other weapons can not be carried concealed.

Bullseye..NC honors your FL permit, and as such you may carry concealed on your person in your car.
I think you meant you may carry concealed in or out of your car? Am I correct? In other words you can carry concealed like in FL?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts

Bullseye..NC honors your FL permit, and as such you may carry concealed on your person in your car.
I think you meant you may carry concealed in or out of your car? Am I correct? In other words you can carry concealed like in FL?
The original poster asked specifically about carry and method of carrying in a car. I wanted to address the question asked.

To answer your question, with a Florida carry permit you may carry concealed as permitted in NC. I don't say you can carry like in Florida since there are differences between the states laws on concealed carry and you always follow the laws of the state you are carrying in.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts

Did it occur to you that an "official interaction" would entail the LEO approaching you? Me walking up to an officer to ask a simple question is not an official interaction. Saying hello as we pass is not official. Him walking up to me most likely is. Him pulling me over absolutely is.

·
Registered
20,046 Posts
Well, I don't care who I'm talk'in to, I'm not telling anybody.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Care to quote your North Carolina state statutes that make what I said "COMPLETELY ERRONEOUS"?

And what "mistake" do you feel I made in NC law?

You may wish to read the NC statutes a bit more carefully before offering legal advise.
I quoted what I thought was erroneous and that is that the law talks about presenting your permit if approached or legally contacted by the author and has no provision that I'm aware of discussing, presenting, disclosing information about your firearm.

It turns out I was wrong and NC DOES have a provision that you also immediately tell the officer when approached or stopped you are carrying. I don't see where it says you must do more than that.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I agree with NC Bullseye

From the NC DOJ website: To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina, you must:

Carry your permit and a valid form of identification with you at all times.
Inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun.
Present both the permit and valid identification at the request of an officer
NOTE: You should not attempt to display either your weapon or your permit unless directed to by an officer.
This is wrong. NC is a must voluntarily and immediately disclose according to handgunlaw.us. But I see I was wrong about having to then tell them you are carrying. Most states who are must immediately disclose do not have a 'tell them you are carrying' aspect and most that are 'diisclose you have a permit if asked' do not have the provision to talk about the firearm.

I stand corrected.

Handgunlaw.us

Must Inform Officer Immediately on Contact By Law?
“YES”
§ 14-415.21.
Violations of this Article punishable as an infraction.
(a)A person who has been issued a valid permit who is found to be carrying a concealed handgun without
the permit in the person's possession or who fails to disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person
holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun, as required by G.S. 14
Underlining and bolding are mine.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
This is wrong. NC is a must voluntarily and immediately disclose according to handgunlaw.us. But I see I was wrong about having to then tell them you are carrying. Most states who are must immediately disclose do not have a 'tell them you are carrying' aspect and most that are 'diisclose you have a permit if asked' do not have the provision to talk about the firearm.

I stand corrected.

Underlining and bolding are mine.
I'll ask one more time, the part of your statement that I've bolded and made red, WHAT is wrong?

I think you're confused about something but not sure what. You reference a source "handgunlaw.us" which I feel is by far one of the best sources of legal info but the items you keep saying are wrong are quoted directly from NC state web sites and also directly from NC statutes.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I'll ask one more time, the part of your statement that I've bolded and made red, WHAT is wrong?

I think you're confused about something but not sure what. You reference a source "handgunlaw.us" which I feel is by far one of the best sources of legal info but the items you keep saying are wrong are quoted directly from NC state web sites and also directly from NC statutes.
Though I now see in re-reading the NC pdf that they do say that NC is one of the states where you must state you are carrying a concealed firearm, I -believe- the law only says when you are approached or stopped or confronted by a NC LEO that you IMMEDIATELY disclose you have a permit. Pause. Then I think in practice the LEO will then say 'are you armed' and you must reply and you must say yes.

Of course, if he then asks you 'are you armed' by NC you must disclose that. In other states that is not a legal requirement. AFAIK, there are only a small handful of states where the 'disclose' law immediately and the disclose law 'if asked' both carry an additional statement that you must disclose -by law- that you are carrying.

It is vague on whether you must immediately volunteer that or be subject to arrest. That's a lot of talking. I think even experienced lawyers will tell you differently about the 'carrying' part being immediate.

I think it's a very bad idea to be telling a LEO when he walks up to your car 'I have a concealed carry license that is valid in this state AND I am carrying a firearm AND I'm carrying it in the waistband at 4:00.'

I think that would cause a less-experienced LEO to be alarmed. So, in answer to your question I would change 'this is wrong' to this is 'ill-advised' or 'this part is vague'.

You guys who live in NC and carry while driving have my sympathy. Why? Because it would be all to easy to be arrested as a LAC because you didn't declare all that quickly enough. In fact in such a state I would not carry my firearm on me but I'd have it locked up on a gun safe out of arm's reach.

I've even considered that (locking it up or stowing it off-body when driving) where we live in a gun-friendly state without a declare statement (unless asked) or a law which says anything except that about the permit.

I think an interesting thing to do if you live in NC is to call the SP and ask them, 'what is mandatory by law that I do if stopped while driving when I have a valid permit and am carrying on body'. Try to get the topmost authority and not just whomever answers the phone. You really have a need to know. I'd try to get all that in writing, too. Ask also 'how 'quick' is "immediately"?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Though I now see in re-reading the NC pdf that they do say that NC is one of the states where you must state you are carrying a concealed firearm, I -believe- the law only says when you are approached or stopped or confronted by a NC LEO that you IMMEDIATELY disclose you have a permit. Pause. Then I think in practice the LEO will then say 'are you armed' and you must reply and you must say yes.

Of course, if he then asks you 'are you armed' by NC you must disclose that. In other states that is not a legal requirement. AFAIK, there are only a small handful of states where the 'disclose' law immediately and the disclose law 'if asked' both carry an additional statement that you must disclose -by law- that you are carrying.

It is vague on whether you must immediately volunteer that or be subject to arrest. That's a lot of talking. I think even experienced lawyers will tell you differently about the 'carrying' part being immediate.

I think it's a very bad idea to be telling a LEO when he walks up to your car 'I have a concealed carry license that is valid in this state AND I am carrying a firearm AND I'm carrying it in the waistband at 4:00.'

I think that would cause a less-experienced LEO to be alarmed. So, in answer to your question I would change 'this is wrong' to this is 'ill-advised' or 'this part is vague'.

You guys who live in NC and carry while driving have my sympathy. Why? Because it would be all to easy to be arrested as a LAC because you didn't declare all that quickly enough. In fact in such a state I would not carry my firearm on me but I'd have it locked up on a gun safe out of arm's reach.

I've even considered that (locking it up or stowing it off-body when driving) where we live in a gun-friendly state without a declare statement (unless asked) or a law which says anything except that about the permit.

I think an interesting thing to do if you live in NC is to call the SP and ask them, 'what is mandatory by law that I do if stopped while driving when I have a valid permit and am carrying on body'. Try to get the topmost authority and not just whomever answers the phone. You really have a need to know. I'd try to get all that in writing, too. Ask also 'how 'quick' is "immediately"?
Glad you got the chance to read through the info.

It's not really that difficult to notify and stay on the right side of the law. When I became an NC state certified instructor for concealed carry I was taught by the same instructors that teach LE at the justice academy in NC on how to address this. It all can be boiled down into a simple statement to give when approached.

As soon as you are officially approached you say "Officer, I have a concealed carry permit and I'm currently carrying. How would you like to proceed?"

Officially approached is as noted by fellow Tarheel ChiefJason above.

If you're not sure on the laws of a state that you travel through then by all means, take the safe route and keep it locked up and unloaded away from passenger access and enjoy the drive.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Glad you got the chance to read through the info.

It's not really that difficult to notify and stay on the right side of the law. When I became an NC state certified instructor for concealed carry I was taught by the same instructors that teach LE at the justice academy in NC on how to address this. It all can be boiled down into a simple statement to give when approached.

As soon as you are officially approached you say "Officer, I have a concealed carry permit and I'm currently carrying. How would you like to proceed?"

Officially approached is as noted by fellow Tarheel ChiefJason above.

If you're not sure on the laws of a state that you travel through then by all means, take the safe route and keep it locked up and unloaded away from passenger access and enjoy the drive.
That seems very reasonable. In fact you could have said in message one "I am a certified instructor in NC and if an officer approaches you say (the above)".

It makes more sense to me than writing a lot of verbiage and having posters trying to go read handgunlaw.us, especially since this is a forum with posters throughout the US and other countries.

So, thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ok, I hate to muddy the waters but it seems I have read somewhere that you have to tell the police if you have a concealed permit even if you are not carrying at the moment. True? What states? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Ok, I hate to muddy the waters but it seems I have read somewhere that you have to tell the police if you have a concealed permit even if you are not carrying at the moment. True? What states? Thanks.
I can say with 100% certainty that NC does NOT require notification of a carry permit if you are NOT carrying a concealed handgun.

I'll also say I have never seen another states statute requiring notification of a carry permit when not carrying a concealed weapon.

I have heard a few internet rumors of such a requirement but they've never been backed up with proper references to statutes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts