Defensive Carry banner

Not a BUG, but an alternative at the ready

1791 72
Just for fun, if you carry two guns, but not necessarily on body all the time, explain how you carry it and why you want to.

I always have the j frame in the pocket, and a second gun with me everywhere I go, but not always on the body.
Usually, I supplement the j frame with the G26 or the 1911.
If dress does not allow for anything but pocket carry, my sling bag is always close by with a second gun, which is more capable for things that can happen in an office environment or, in the bad part of town in which I work.
The sling bag contains First Aid supply’s, emergency drinking water packets extra OC spray,and extra ammo for both guns as well as one optional holster for each gun.

Today, I am on body carrying a most trusted combination.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Office supplies

Should I need or desire to offload one as the day wears on, or add one, it is carried in the sling bag.
Luggage and bags Bag Beige Shoulder bag Khaki

As mentioned, the sling bag has an optional holster for each gun and I can quickly change carry methods for each gun as the day progresses and my environment or comfort level changes.

The sling bag makes my life much easier on the go, and carries both my personal and work devices as well as emergency supplies.
If I am in the office, and something like an active shooter happens, I have a tool on hand that would be more preferable to the j frame.

The sling bag is always with me, or locked up in my office should I need to be gone briefly somewhere else in the building. It has been my method now for 6 years, and has worked out very well.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
25,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With your level of SA, that seems like a great plan. You take a much more serious approach to thinking ahead than many people do, I generally am against off body carry.
My environment and activity level can change dramatically on a short notice.
On any given day, I can be at the office, in the field, or up in the hills a hundred miles away where there are homes that don’t have running water or electricity.
So I have to think ahead.

This morning I had to fuel up the state vehicle, which is in a bad part of town. It was nice to be able to switch my 442 from the pants pocket to the jacket pocket while I pumped fuel, and also know the G26 was handy too.

· Registered
25,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to ask if you made house calls, as well as office work...that makes your travel plan all the more appropriate...that sling bag could be very important...and should maybe contain some vittles, too!!!
I have a pack of Mountain House Chilli Mac, and a compact water purifier😉

· Premium Member
9,593 Posts
Nice setup and handy.

I keep a small messenger type bag in the vehicle. Bag has changed over the years but contents are fairly standard. Water, thermos, matches and lighter, poncho, space blanket, spare knife, cash, bandana, and long term snacks.

Use the contents on a regular basis. The musette bag concept has not changed in over 200 years. It works.

· Registered
25,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice setup and handy.

I keep a small messenger type bag in the vehicle. Bag has changed over the years but contents are fairly standard. Water, thermos, matches and lighter, poncho, space blanket, spare knife, cash, bandana, and long term snacks.

Use the contents on a regular basis. The musette bag concept has not changed in over 200 years. It works.
Cash is something I need to add… Thanks for mentioning that.

· Registered
12,283 Posts
I'll carry medical and spare ammo in a bag, along with other stuff. But not a firearm. The guns stay on my person, unless locked up in the safe at home. Bags tend to get left places and not always stay on person. Kids complicate the issue even more.

I drive around all day for work, and don't consider a vehicle to be secure storage for a firearm. I know others feel differently.

Glad it works for you. You have a good system.

· Registered
723 Posts
In answer to your question, I now EDC a Sig P365MS exclusively. The Sig is carried AIWB. Prior to the Sig, I carried a FN High Power for many years preceded by a Colt 1911. Though I carry the Sig on my person, I always have an additional handgun with suitable holster securely stored in my vehicles. The weapon in my vehicle is most typically a 1911 but at times could be a larger Sig 9MM such as a P229 or a 9MM High Power. The vehicle stored weapon is not typically readily accessible for immediate defensive use. I carry it with me as a “spare” should my primary EDC become compromised for any reason.

Like others have mentioned, I also carry a go bag. In addition to providing instant access to a small inventory of crucial personal protection and preservation items throughout the day, it serves as my grab bag when spending the night away from home in a hotel, available for an immediate evac with confidence that nothing important will be left behind.

While I do like your bag for its appearance and obvious rugged design, I got rid of my 782-gear go bags several years ago. There are many outstanding backpacks available today in every size and configuration imaginable. When carried today, no one bats an eye as backpacks have become largely ubiquitous in settings from coffee shops to board rooms. I developed the opinion that the military styled packs attracted unwanted attention in “civilized” settings. The effect is multiplied if the bag’s owner is wearing Carhart, Duluth Trading, Cabela’s, 411s, and similar clothing. I see the military surplus bags as an unwanted tell that the bag’s carrier is armed.

· Registered
25,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In answer to your question, I now EDC a Sig P365MS exclusively. The Sig is carried AIWB. Prior to the Sig, I carried a FN High Power for many years preceded by a Colt 1911. Though I carry the Sig on my person, I always have an additional handgun with suitable holster securely stored in my vehicles. The weapon in my vehicle is most typically a 1911 but at times could be a larger Sig 9MM such as a P229 or a 9MM High Power. The vehicle stored weapon is not typically readily accessible for immediate defensive use. I carry it with me as a “spare” should my primary EDC become compromised for any reason.

Like others have mentioned, I also carry a go bag. In addition to providing instant access to a small inventory of crucial personal protection and preservation items throughout the day, it serves as my grab bag when spending the night away from home in a hotel, available for an immediate evac with confidence that nothing important will be left behind.

While I do like your bag for its appearance and obvious rugged design, I got rid of my 782-gear go bags several years ago. There are many outstanding backpacks available today in every size and configuration imaginable. When carried today, no one bats an eye as backpacks have become largely ubiquitous in settings from coffee shops to board rooms. I developed the opinion that the military styled packs attracted unwanted attention in “civilized” settings. The effect is multiplied if the bag’s owner is wearing Carhart, Duluth Trading, Cabela’s, 411s, and similar clothing. I see the military surplus bags as an unwanted tell that the bag’s carrier is armed.
Yes, I agree my bag is not exactly “ gray” in its appearance. And while that may be a consideration at some point, right now I don’t really care too much about it.
I don’t make a practice of carrying it in public places, but then again, these days seeing military style colors and clothing are pretty common.

· Premium Member
9,686 Posts
Just for fun, if you carry two guns, but not necessarily on body all the time, explain how you carry it and why you want to.

I always have the j frame in the pocket, and a second gun with me everywhere I go, but not always on the body.
Usually, I supplement the j frame with the G26 or the 1911.
If dress does not allow for anything but pocket carry, my sling bag is always close by with a second gun, which is more capable for things that can happen in an office environment or, in the bad part of town in which I work.
The sling bag contains First Aid supply’s, emergency drinking water packets extra OC spray,and extra ammo for both guns as well as one optional holster for each gun.

Today, I am on body carrying a most trusted combination.
View attachment 402382

Should I need or desire to offload one as the day wears on, or add one, it is carried in the sling bag.
View attachment 402384

As mentioned, the sling bag has an optional holster for each gun and I can quickly change carry methods for each gun as the day progresses and my environment or comfort level changes.

The sling bag makes my life much easier on the go, and carries both my personal and work devices as well as emergency supplies.
If I am in the office, and something like an active shooter happens, I have a tool on hand that would be more preferable to the j frame.

The sling bag is always with me, or locked up in my office should I need to be gone briefly somewhere else in the building. It has been my method now for 6 years, and has worked out very well.
Gesture Finger Thumb Font Nail
Gesture Finger Thumb Font Nail

That would be "2 big thumb's up"!

Reactions: G-man*

· Registered
11,278 Posts
When I worked in an office I carried a nylon (semi-tactical) briefcase with laptop, Glock 19, extra mags, casualty kit (probably close to triple the amount of an IFAC), emergency snacks, water.

It was a site that had federal databases, so most I could carry on person was a knife. Most days I kept the kit in my vehicle, close from a side entrance.
Often, when any threat arose federal agents would camp out in our lobbies, mostly domestic stuff, but not always. On body carry would have been tough to pull off with expert eyes on everyone who entered, and that could happen with no notice.

On each side of the building were problem occupants, one side was a cheap hotel that catered to meth cooks and people on the run, not at all uncommon to see SWAT raids going down as I was coming or going to lunch, several shootings, (I think over cheating and or prostitutes) occurred during work hours; shell casings in our parking lot we’re not uncommon, every once in a while someone would bring me a projectile that had lost momentum. The other side was a job/benefits office that drew a mixed crowd that had some pretty shady characters.

The guy that shot the television crew on air had been fired from my employer and had caused issues/made threats there too. The CS side of the business seemed to take whoever they could get, so lots of internal problems with poorly adjusted employees.

It sucked, but I rarely carried because I needed the job. I’m glad I was able to leave.

Other than that instance I almost never off body carry.

· Registered
3,130 Posts
don't carry a BUG or 2nd gun often nowadays....
the most often method is a 25 auto in the back pocket weak side.......for the weak hand...done that for decades in uniform....less frequently now....

a rare few occasions in these more modern and interesting times, i got the notion to carry "heavy" in some locations......(just a feeling that never panned out....thankfully). my 2nd gun on those occasions was either a K frame or an old Ruger P85 9mm carried in the fanny pack....it was never meant to be the go-to first gun...

the primary gun is still a snub in the pocket. The fanny pack is nothing more than a concealment carrier for a larger gun for the weight and bulk of the "heavy"...hiding in plain sight......the fanny pack makes that doable.....

· Registered
2,951 Posts
My 2-gun setup is my HK 45C & HK P30. Why? Well, even though one is a .45ACP and the other is a 9mm both of them are DA/SA. I really like the fact that they can share the same (OWB/AIWB) holsters as well. Whichever one I choose to carry, the other one is in my go-bag w/3-4 extra magazines for each piece (17 rd mags for my 9mm and 12 rd mags for my .45ACP) along with 2 extra boxes of ammo for each piece. My go bag is always with me in my truck.

· Registered
249 Posts
I have a couple of sling bags that I have used in a similar manner or often will grab one when I go for a hike or on a longer kayak day trip. but I have used them in the “urban” environment as well, much as you do, to offer some flexibility of what I am carrying.

For a surplus’s bag that doesn’t grab a ton of attention, Romanian or Polish surplus’s “bread bags” are an ok option, because they look like something a guy would use to make a ”retro” shoulder bag with to keep a tablet, phone and light items in. The shoulder straps can be a bit thin so, you don’t want to weigh them down much, but they are simple drab canvas bags that may be a bit more “grey”, just looking like vintage repurposing and not as “mall ninja”.

For a “day outing” in the woods or a more minimalist “get-home bag“ I like the UK surplus “Field bag/ respirator bag“ (gas mask bags). But they are camouflaged and look less grey and more “tacticool“. It gives me room to put stuff in to prep a hot dish and cuppa in the woods. The side pockets can be remove, etc.

The bread bag has some smaller internal pockets and has a partition. For scale there are a couple speed loaders in each small pocket, Glock 26 “Tupperware” box, and a few boxes of ammo.
Light Luggage and bags Bag Beige Automotive design
Luggage and bags Bag Webbing Camouflage Khaki

The British Field bag is a bit more modern and flexible, but might grab a few more looks than the canvas bag.
Luggage and bags Wood Bag Beige Khaki
Leaf Automotive tire Plant Wood Grass
Plant Biome Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass

· Registered
178 Posts
I don't quite get the bags and snacks, second guns, etc. to go out of the house. All this stuff I can see for the Bronx but if I'm going to Walmart it's just my Shield Plus and a spare mag. Maybe I don't live in such a bad area after all. Not saying I haven't taken an extra gun but that was for security job at church during crazy court rulings and such not let's go get lunch.

· Registered
10,913 Posts
Circumstances can change in an hour, no matter where you might be. My Cherokee uncle in LA worked the oil fields in the 60s...and carried a High Standard 9-shot western-style .22 in his truck...loaded with .22 shorts...all he ever bought for it. He could pick the left eye out of a rabbit without causing the right eye to blink, and felt he was well armed...until the day he came around a curve and found "about 15" citizens blocking his road...they were on foot and right in town...and not passing out snacks. He said he felt positively NAKED...so he dropped the 3/4 ton flatbed rig truck into a lower gear and floored it, rather than stopping...they scattered, he was still calming down at suppertime. Trouble seldom makes an appointment...you're doing something "routine" and boring and oh-so-normal...until all hell breaks loose over nothing. If life ups the ante...I don't want to fold...that's why I always carry two and reloads, and carry a little travel kit that's nice and heavy if I head out further than 20 miles.

Being "ready enough" is a decision we might not make well, not having all the facts when we make it...but it's sure worth a try. Just my oldpinion.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts