Defensive Carry banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun, if you carry two guns, but not necessarily on body all the time, explain how you carry it and why you want to.

I always have the j frame in the pocket, and a second gun with me everywhere I go, but not always on the body.
Usually, I supplement the j frame with the G26 or the 1911.
If dress does not allow for anything but pocket carry, my sling bag is always close by with a second gun, which is more capable for things that can happen in an office environment or, in the bad part of town in which I work.
The sling bag contains First Aid supply’s, emergency drinking water packets extra OC spray,and extra ammo for both guns as well as one optional holster for each gun.

Today, I am on body carrying a most trusted combination.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Office supplies

Should I need or desire to offload one as the day wears on, or add one, it is carried in the sling bag.
Luggage and bags Bag Beige Shoulder bag Khaki

As mentioned, the sling bag has an optional holster for each gun and I can quickly change carry methods for each gun as the day progresses and my environment or comfort level changes.

The sling bag makes my life much easier on the go, and carries both my personal and work devices as well as emergency supplies.
If I am in the office, and something like an active shooter happens, I have a tool on hand that would be more preferable to the j frame.

The sling bag is always with me, or locked up in my office should I need to be gone briefly somewhere else in the building. It has been my method now for 6 years, and has worked out very well.

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With your level of SA, that seems like a great plan. You take a much more serious approach to thinking ahead than many people do, I generally am against off body carry.
My environment and activity level can change dramatically on a short notice.
On any given day, I can be at the office, in the field, or up in the hills a hundred miles away where there are homes that don’t have running water or electricity.
So I have to think ahead.

This morning I had to fuel up the state vehicle, which is in a bad part of town. It was nice to be able to switch my 442 from the pants pocket to the jacket pocket while I pumped fuel, and also know the G26 was handy too.

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to ask if you made house calls, as well as office work...that makes your travel plan all the more appropriate...that sling bag could be very important...and should maybe contain some vittles, too!!!
I have a pack of Mountain House Chilli Mac, and a compact water purifier😉

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice setup and handy.

I keep a small messenger type bag in the vehicle. Bag has changed over the years but contents are fairly standard. Water, thermos, matches and lighter, poncho, space blanket, spare knife, cash, bandana, and long term snacks.

Use the contents on a regular basis. The musette bag concept has not changed in over 200 years. It works.
Cash is something I need to add… Thanks for mentioning that.

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In answer to your question, I now EDC a Sig P365MS exclusively. The Sig is carried AIWB. Prior to the Sig, I carried a FN High Power for many years preceded by a Colt 1911. Though I carry the Sig on my person, I always have an additional handgun with suitable holster securely stored in my vehicles. The weapon in my vehicle is most typically a 1911 but at times could be a larger Sig 9MM such as a P229 or a 9MM High Power. The vehicle stored weapon is not typically readily accessible for immediate defensive use. I carry it with me as a “spare” should my primary EDC become compromised for any reason.

Like others have mentioned, I also carry a go bag. In addition to providing instant access to a small inventory of crucial personal protection and preservation items throughout the day, it serves as my grab bag when spending the night away from home in a hotel, available for an immediate evac with confidence that nothing important will be left behind.

While I do like your bag for its appearance and obvious rugged design, I got rid of my 782-gear go bags several years ago. There are many outstanding backpacks available today in every size and configuration imaginable. When carried today, no one bats an eye as backpacks have become largely ubiquitous in settings from coffee shops to board rooms. I developed the opinion that the military styled packs attracted unwanted attention in “civilized” settings. The effect is multiplied if the bag’s owner is wearing Carhart, Duluth Trading, Cabela’s, 411s, and similar clothing. I see the military surplus bags as an unwanted tell that the bag’s carrier is armed.
Yes, I agree my bag is not exactly “ gray” in its appearance. And while that may be a consideration at some point, right now I don’t really care too much about it.
I don’t make a practice of carrying it in public places, but then again, these days seeing military style colors and clothing are pretty common.

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I don't quite get the bags and snacks, second guns, etc. to go out of the house. All this stuff I can see for the Bronx but if I'm going to Walmart it's just my Shield Plus and a spare mag. Maybe I don't live in such a bad area after all. Not saying I haven't taken an extra gun but that was for security job at church during crazy court rulings and such not let's go get lunch.
It’s not just to go out of the house or to Walmart.

But if you don’t get it, that’s ok, and that’s great. When I go to Walmart in my hometown, I don’t pack anything but a 5 shot revolver; if that.

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
In my environment a major concern is freezing to death 1/2 the year so I carry a cold weather kit in my vehicle in addition to anything else. I pocket carry my 2nd gun during winter coat weather a small pistol in a pocket holster works well in my Carhart. The nice thing about sub zero temps and wind chills is that thugs don't hang out much.

I carry water, food and a extra box of ammo in my go bag that I take to work everyday.

This spring I am going to mount an electronic locking bigsky rack in the jeep for my Black aces "firearm".
Takes tough people to deal with those winters.

I just ain’t got it like that. A snowflake can trigger my PTSD….
Of course, I don’t like it real hot either, but I’d take more heat than more cold.

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
We have plans to relocate.... Last winter was 7 months..... And the worse thing is it goes from winter to 100 degrees and mosquitos as big as B52's..... How can they get that big in 3 months.....
Id be suffering from depression after a winter that long! I’m already getting cabin fever here, and we have had a pretty mild winter here, except for the cold spell that everyone else had, and that only lasted for a few days.

Maybe them skeeters are making up for lost time, and eating extra good while they can?

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yes sir, it gets old.... we still have snow on the ground that fell in early November..... We are looking at Wyoming, not nearly as cold and not as hot.
Not nearly as populated either, which would be a plus in my book.

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
But back on topic.......

With these Sig's I don't feel the urge or need to even carry a 2nd gun anymore.
I can see why. You have the best of both worlds, and it works for you.
The only reason I pocket carry a j frame, is for the chance to pull off a surprise draw if afforded the opportunity.
The G26 AIWB works well for me. I am giving AIWB with it a try again. As a matter of fact I just finished some dry fire reps, and it felt very natural.

I go back and forth all the time between a Glock, 1911, or a revolver.

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
To carry or not to carry a second piece or go-bag or bugout bag or extra mags etc, is all one's personal decision and choice. You gotta do what you feel and what works for you. I went to church today carrying my HK VP9sk in my AIWB holster. I had 2 extra 15 mags for it on my person while in service and no one else was the wiser, except for Mrs. Militant. :p I had my VP9 (and a few extra mags and boxes of ammo) in my go-bag locked in my truck cause that's how I roll. :cool:
In my case for example, it has nothing to do with capacity, but more to do with capability, as in shootability, or having a choice for changing to a different mode of carry on the fly, and what is more suitable for those roles as environments change.

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
For me, there is nothing wrong with having the capacity and both capability and shooting ability in my pieces at my disposal. I have that with whichever pieces I decide to have on me on any given day. This stuff ain't as deep or technical as people try to make it. :cool:
I’m not trying to make it deep, just sharing what works for me and my situation, which involves daily workplace activity and various interactions.
Capacity is never a priority, it’s just a bonus if it fills the intended role.

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I know I quoted you and made that statement but that was a general statement of how I think about the overall discussion of everyone doing what works for them. It's not that deep! My apologies if that's how it came across to you.
No offense taken here. I do think that some things can get over analyzed, and some things aren’t considered enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts