Defensive Carry banner

Not a BUG, but an alternative at the ready

1714 72
Just for fun, if you carry two guns, but not necessarily on body all the time, explain how you carry it and why you want to.

I always have the j frame in the pocket, and a second gun with me everywhere I go, but not always on the body.
Usually, I supplement the j frame with the G26 or the 1911.
If dress does not allow for anything but pocket carry, my sling bag is always close by with a second gun, which is more capable for things that can happen in an office environment or, in the bad part of town in which I work.
The sling bag contains First Aid supply’s, emergency drinking water packets extra OC spray,and extra ammo for both guns as well as one optional holster for each gun.

Today, I am on body carrying a most trusted combination.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Office supplies

Should I need or desire to offload one as the day wears on, or add one, it is carried in the sling bag.
Luggage and bags Bag Beige Shoulder bag Khaki

As mentioned, the sling bag has an optional holster for each gun and I can quickly change carry methods for each gun as the day progresses and my environment or comfort level changes.

The sling bag makes my life much easier on the go, and carries both my personal and work devices as well as emergency supplies.
If I am in the office, and something like an active shooter happens, I have a tool on hand that would be more preferable to the j frame.

The sling bag is always with me, or locked up in my office should I need to be gone briefly somewhere else in the building. It has been my method now for 6 years, and has worked out very well.
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
I don't quite get the bags and snacks, second guns, etc. to go out of the house. All this stuff I can see for the Bronx but if I'm going to Walmart it's just my Shield Plus and a spare mag. Maybe I don't live in such a bad area after all. Not saying I haven't taken an extra gun but that was for security job at church during crazy court rulings and such not let's go get lunch.
I really bought my shoulder bags more for hiking and bringing snacks, maybe a light cook kit, etc.

But I found a couple of occasions where such a bag could be useful for “bumping up” the carry level a bit without looking like the personification of Gecko45 Trotting down the sidewalk bristling with combat gear. There were a few days when some of the Seattle shenanigans were also set to spill over to my neck of the NW woods. So a little extra grab bag on the way to work that I could take 8 to the office without a lot of suspicion was a welcome tool to have in the tool box For the trip to and from work.

Not a method I employ often, but when presented with increased threat level, security posture goes up as well.

· Registered
132 Posts
I have a couple of sling bags that I have used in a similar manner or often will grab one when I go for a hike or on a longer kayak day trip. but I have used them in the “urban” environment as well, much as you do, to offer some flexibility of what I am carrying.

For a surplus’s bag that doesn’t grab a ton of attention, Romanian or Polish surplus’s “bread bags” are an ok option, because they look like something a guy would use to make a ”retro” shoulder bag with to keep a tablet, phone and light items in. The shoulder straps can be a bit thin so, you don’t want to weigh them down much, but they are simple drab canvas bags that may be a bit more “grey”, just looking like vintage repurposing and not as “mall ninja”.

For a “day outing” in the woods or a more minimalist “get-home bag“ I like the UK surplus “Field bag/ respirator bag“ (gas mask bags). But they are camouflaged and look less grey and more “tacticool“. It gives me room to put stuff in to prep a hot dish and cuppa in the woods. The side pockets can be remove, etc.

The bread bag has some smaller internal pockets and has a partition. For scale there are a couple speed loaders in each small pocket, Glock 26 “Tupperware” box, and a few boxes of ammo.
View attachment 402408 View attachment 402409

The British Field bag is a bit more modern and flexible, but might grab a few more looks than the canvas bag.
View attachment 402410 View attachment 402411 View attachment 402412
I like you cooking set up. What is it?

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I don't quite get the bags and snacks, second guns, etc. to go out of the house. All this stuff I can see for the Bronx but if I'm going to Walmart it's just my Shield Plus and a spare mag. Maybe I don't live in such a bad area after all. Not saying I haven't taken an extra gun but that was for security job at church during crazy court rulings and such not let's go get lunch.
It’s not just to go out of the house or to Walmart.

But if you don’t get it, that’s ok, and that’s great. When I go to Walmart in my hometown, I don’t pack anything but a 5 shot revolver; if that.

· Registered
11,265 Posts
Everybody needs snacks.

· Registered
2,948 Posts
Well, if you don't quite get it:

· Registered
5,700 Posts
I too use a sling bag often.
very useful and versatile.
If carrying the J, the Ruger goes in it with extra mags and extra speed strips. And vice versa. Just for fun I have carried the S&W model 64–2 in a left-hand outer waistband holster that I got from @Snub44
Yes, I agree my bag is not exactly “ gray” in its appearance. And while that may be a consideration at some point, right now I don’t really care too much about it.
I don’t make a practice of carrying it in public places, but then again, these days seeing military style colors and clothing are pretty common.
Slap a rainbow sticker on it. Now it’s hidden. 😸

· Registered
246 Posts
I like you cooking set up. What is it?
British Mk1 and British Mk2 Crusader canteen cups and cookers. Was trying to figure out what configuration I liked best. Turns out I like the Steel cup from the original pattern, the cooker/windscreen from the Mk2 set and the plastic cup that comes with the Mk2 set and Osprey water bottle. The plastic cup lets me drink hot liquids without burning my mouth. (Though I have silicone lip protectors that can slip on most metal camping and canteen cups.)

I made a neoprene wrap and have the silicone lip protectors on my US canteen cup.

Kitchen appliance Tree Cookware and bakeware Cooking Gas

· Registered
8,259 Posts
With staying with the off body idea.

We travel often, and being that Mrs.Flh does not like to fly we drive.

With this in mind I have changed up our weapon’s carry a time or two. I recently purchased a Ruger carbine. The rifle takes Glock mags and breaks down nicely to fit in a small bag that resembles the average luggage bag.

When we are taking these long drives you better believe we have snacks along with us ;)

· Registered
2,141 Posts
Every one has to do what works for them. I often carry two guns, but they are always on me. IWB or AIWB for the larger gun and pocket carry for the j frame. The only time I carry a gun in a bag of any sort is when I ride my bike. For me, drawing from a fanny pack while seated is faster than trying to draw from my pocket.
I do like the idea of a bag/backpack for extra ammo, magazines, food, medicine, etc.

· Premium Member
9,587 Posts
When I worked in an office I carried a nylon (semi-tactical) briefcase with laptop, Glock 19, extra mags, casualty kit (probably close to triple the amount of an IFAC), emergency snacks, water.

It was a site that had federal databases, so most I could carry on person was a knife. Most days I kept the kit in my vehicle, close from a side entrance.
Often, when any threat arose federal agents would camp out in our lobbies, mostly domestic stuff, but not always. On body carry would have been tough to pull off with expert eyes on everyone who entered, and that could happen with no notice.

On each side of the building were problem occupants, one side was a cheap hotel that catered to meth cooks and people on the run, not at all uncommon to see SWAT raids going down as I was coming or going to lunch, several shootings, (I think over cheating and or prostitutes) occurred during work hours; shell casings in our parking lot we’re not uncommon, every once in a while someone would bring me a projectile that had lost momentum. The other side was a job/benefits office that drew a mixed crowd that had some pretty shady characters.

The guy that shot the television crew on air had been fired from my employer and had caused issues/made threats there too. The CS side of the business seemed to take whoever they could get, so lots of internal problems with poorly adjusted employees.

It sucked, but I rarely carried because I needed the job. I’m glad I was able to leave.

Other than that instance I almost never off body carry.
Sounds like an FBI office I know.

Reactions: matthew03

· Premium Member
9,587 Posts
Some can be many miles from home outside of an urban area. Some may get caught overnight on the interstate due to weather or a bad accident. Wonder if those folks in Buffalo wished they had a bag with them. Too bad we can't ask, they died. But you do you.

· Registered
2,948 Posts
Some can be many miles from home outside of an urban area. Some may get caught overnight on the interstate due to weather or a bad accident. Wonder if those folks in Buffalo wished they had a bag with them. Too bad we can't ask, they died. But you do you.
Or, the people in the recent Walmart shooting here in my city of Chesapeake, VA.

· Registered
3,706 Posts
If I am carrying a CC piece I always have another full sized fighting pistol in my vehicle. So, off-duty, it's usually my Hellcat or KLCR on me. If I'm on the streets it's my G19 and extra mags in the truck. If I'm in an outdoors situation, it's usually my Hellcat or KLCR on me and my G30S or G20 in the car. If I'm at work, it's usually my G26 on me and my G19 in the truck.

Honestly I have as much confidence in my fighting ability, and almost the capacity, in my Hellcat or G26 that I do in my G19, but still, one is none and two is one!

· Registered
3,129 Posts
half the fun of finding the more perfect gun is the journey...carrying and shooting different makes and calibers.....and i still have that old basket full of LH holsters for guns i got rid of long ago..........

but as i approach the end of the road i've finally settled down (sort of).....and have come to terms (mostly).....that there ain't no such thing as a perfect gun....dang near but never 100 percent perfect....if there was we would not keep looking for more perfection and face constant temptation....:unsure:

now i am almost right back where i started from.....with a revolver....my journey has turned retro. :ROFLMAO:

.........but what a ride.....would not have traded the journey for anything. Now i get to be an old Fudd and say "been there-done that"...
...always did like ole' Elmer anyways....

· Registered
8,259 Posts

· Registered
19,052 Posts
In my environment a major concern is freezing to death 1/2 the year so I carry a cold weather kit in my vehicle in addition to anything else. I pocket carry my 2nd gun during winter coat weather a small pistol in a pocket holster works well in my Carhart. The nice thing about sub zero temps and wind chills is that thugs don't hang out much.

I carry water, food and a extra box of ammo in my go bag that I take to work everyday.

This spring I am going to mount an electronic locking bigsky rack in the jeep for my Black aces "firearm".

· Registered
25,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
In my environment a major concern is freezing to death 1/2 the year so I carry a cold weather kit in my vehicle in addition to anything else. I pocket carry my 2nd gun during winter coat weather a small pistol in a pocket holster works well in my Carhart. The nice thing about sub zero temps and wind chills is that thugs don't hang out much.

I carry water, food and a extra box of ammo in my go bag that I take to work everyday.

This spring I am going to mount an electronic locking bigsky rack in the jeep for my Black aces "firearm".
Takes tough people to deal with those winters.

I just ain’t got it like that. A snowflake can trigger my PTSD….
Of course, I don’t like it real hot either, but I’d take more heat than more cold.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts